Some JANIS JOPLIN and LES MYSTERE DES VOIX BULGARES this W/E

Do talk back
doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Some JANIS JOPLIN and LES MYSTERE DES VOIX BULGARES this W/E

Postby doctorlouie » 21 Jan 2009, 22:06

Welcome all to my first go at this much revered institution.

This weekend we have two types of the female vocal.

JANIS JOPLIN - PEARL
Released posthumously, and slightly unfinished (I believe that Buried Alive In The Blues was supposed to have a vocal - citation needed), this is probably the cleanest Joplin record. It includes my personal favourite vocal - Me and Bobby McGee. She glides from a controlled, country blues of regret to one of uninhibited ecstasy. If I were to ever sing karaoke it would be this or Proud Mary. And that is high praise, trust me. Aside form this we have all sorts of double keyboard action. In a post-Band era she/her group tightened up and injected a little Texas into a blues template that had until then served her perfectly well. By toning down the volume and what detractors would probably call the Banshee thing, she found a new centre for her art. This LP shows what a huge loss her passing really was.

LES MYSTERE DES VOIX BULGARES

Remember this? You bought it because you liked the Cocteau Twins, listened to it, told a mate, but to be honest didn't play it that much. It's a strange one because it sounds like nothing else I've ever heard. As a community of noise - it's the only proper choir record I've ever owned - it is unparalleled. The open throat racket sounds like little else in your collection. God only knows what they're singing, though I guess it's about loved ones, goats and broken hearts. All good folk music is. Crank it up and give in to the noise. Did anyone ever buy volume 2?

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Some JANIS JOPLIN and LES MYSTERE DES VOIX BULGARES this W/E

Postby Moleskin » 22 Jan 2009, 09:20

How odd! I've been listening to both volumes of Le Mystere in the car this week. (actually according to Amazon there are several more but I only know the first two.) Ithink I like them more now than I did then. I'm sure I'll be joining you with that one at least.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Jan 2009, 09:36

Baez over Joplin? Ye Gods!

Bought Mystere indeed because of the 4AD-connotations, played it several times and liked several tracks only, then I saw them together with Huun-Huur-Tu live in Belgium and then I was completely sold.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Jan 2009, 17:02

Pearl is my favorite Joplin album. To me she finally had a real band that could really play to all her strengths.
I bought the album the day it came out and was maybe the first album I ever played twice in a row after purchasing.

I bought the first two Voix :Bulgares albums but not because of the Cocteau Twins. I must have read a good review or something. They performed at Grace Cathedral in SF last year and I wanted to go but they had to delay the show by a couple of months and I didn't make it. It would have been a great venue for them. I think the natural echo in the church is seven seconds and if you respect that and use the building as part of your sound, amazing things can happen.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

doctorlouie

Postby doctorlouie » 23 Jan 2009, 15:11

Bump.

Anyone else? I haven't dug them out to run through them completely. Les Mystere came up on shuffle, which was how it came to mind. I thought the Joplin might provide an interesting juxtaposition. More comparison shenanigans next week.

The Obliging Fairy
former fairy

Postby The Obliging Fairy » 23 Jan 2009, 15:13

Can't do the Joplin but I have the Bulgs on LP, so that will be going on to calm me the shite down before the flight to England Monday.

Still loads to do as usual...
my attention span, or thereabouts

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 23 Jan 2009, 16:17

I'll join you for some Joplin. Just thinking about Move Over, and I can't sit still!
The crazy music drives you insane

doctorlouie

Postby doctorlouie » 23 Jan 2009, 16:36

Livet wrote:I'll join you for some Joplin. Just thinking about Move Over, and I can't sit still!

It's a belter isn't it? As mentioned above it's the one LP that she finally fronted a band equal to her power.

Regarding Johnny's comments: She is a blues shouter, but this recording shows a more country / soul side to her work and worth a isten. I'm guessing The Slider knows the LP well enough to know he's right, though. ;)

Return to “Yakety Yak”