Beware Prog content: For Alan Parsons Project fans only

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: Beware Prog content: For Alan Parsons Project fans only

Postby C » 02 Feb 2009, 21:50

I Robot - good lead vocal contributions from Allan Clarke and Steve Harley

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

J

Postby J » 04 Feb 2009, 03:27

I like I Robot.
After that Alan Parsons Project's subsequent releases follow a downward curve of diminishing returns, but there are still some fine tracks to be found - even if they might be damned with the label "commercial" (cross yourself now and say a silent prayer if this worries you...). Two excellent ones:
"Old & Wise" (Colin Blunstone vocal)
"Time" (Eric Woolfson on vocals iirc, - co-founder of APP with Alan Parsons. Why didn't he sing more?)
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

Jon K

Postby Jon K » 04 Feb 2009, 08:50

jonathan wrote:I like I Robot.
After that Alan Parsons Project's subsequent releases follow a downward curve of diminishing returns, but there are still some fine tracks to be found - even if they might be damned with the label "commercial" (cross yourself now and say a silent prayer if this worries you...). Two excellent ones:
"Old & Wise" (Colin Blunstone vocal)
"Time" (Eric Woolfson on vocals iirc, - co-founder of APP with Alan Parsons. Why didn't he sing more?)

I think Eric Woolfson did sing on virtually all the Alan Parsons Project albums but as he was not known and usually amongst all the star singers perhaps he didn't stand out too well. Great vocalist though and Time is certainly a great track. After he and Parsons split he went on to produce an album in the style of the Alan Parsons Project entitled Freudiana.It is very good :D

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » 04 Feb 2009, 10:14

Well, if you don't like I, Robot, then I can hardly recomend proceeding forward. But I really don't see how you could appreciate Tales... and not at least like I, Robot.

So here's what I suggest. Try Pyramania. It gets a little silly with the title track, but the rest of it is good. But that's coming from someone who loves I, Robot and considers it one of the best pop records ever made, and a pleasant pathfinder for many things to follow -- synthpop, electronica, pop. And at least likes most tracks off most of the other albums. They do get a bit AOR, if one listens to all of them all at once, but once in a while, it's a pleasant diversion.

So tread lightly. As a dyed-in-the-wool progger, I don't expect you to like it. Your best bet is to find something similar, and pretend it's another album by APP. Perhaps some Bo Hansson or something.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 04 Feb 2009, 17:18

I still have Tales (which is OK) and did have Eve and maybe another but got rid of them.

Have you tried Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds?

* runs away *
“Erratic associate member”

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 04 Feb 2009, 18:13

Neil Jung wrote:Have you tried Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds?

Hey, it's still a lot of fun to play every once in a blue moon. I saw the tour a couple of years ago and it was very good indeed.

Return to “Yakety Yak”