Hit singles - do they still exist?

Do talk back
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Hit singles - do they still exist?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Jan 2009, 20:25

I don't listen much to the radio anymore so I was wondering: there must still be a Top 40 or whatever.

Is it all that modern R'n'B crap with the occasional Madonna thrown in or do some of the new bands still release singles?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

never/ever

Re: Hit singles - do they still exist?

Postby never/ever » 19 Jan 2009, 21:20

It's nowadays the travesty that physical single-purchases are mixed up with the number of downloads for a song to determine chart position- sometimes those downloads aren't available as a single so companies can help push the album sales along. So what shops sell doesn't necessarily be what's charting high.

Loadsa Arrr 'n Beh, ex-Idol-stars and the odd battler in the charts today- notable exception Kings Of Leon wrestled themselves to the top of the Australian charts recently, Metallica's newie's doing the same.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 19 Jan 2009, 22:02

I don't think they do in the way we grew up with them. The market is flooded with songs I think in order to appeal to the widest base possible. However, I think in terms of listener reaction, there are some songs which appeal on a very visceral level. For a week, Maya was singing "bum bum beeda! bum bum beeda! bum bum beeda!". And being an old fart, I had no idea that she was actually singing this:

"Disturbia" by Rhianna.

There's something about those backing vocals that stuck with Maya, who's three and heard it on the radio somewhere. Maya doesn't have a musical tastes as based on who's singing, like many of us do. But even she knows a good hook she can sing along to. In this, the hit single is alive and well.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 19 Jan 2009, 22:16

There is still a singles chart in the UK, though it's now dominated by downloads (I've heard that only 4% of sales now represent vinyl or CD singles). This is the current British top ten:

1 Lady Gaga - Just Dance
2 Kid Cudi Vs Crookers - Day 'n' Nite
3 James Morrison/Nelly Furtado - Broken Strings
4 Saturdays - Issues
5 Kevin Rudolf Ft Lil Wayne - Let It Rock
6 Alexandra Burke - Hallelujah
7 Beyonce - Single Ladies (put A Ring On It)
8 Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody
9 Leona Lewis - Run
10 Girls Aloud - The Loving Kind

Only one example of guitar-based music in there. However, it should be noted that it is indie and rock acts who primarily still release physical singles. Noting that their fans still like to collect vinyl, they particularly focus on releasing the immortal 7" single, often using special formats like coloured vinyl and picture discs.

The hit single is far from dead, even if its mode of consumption in the mass market is changing.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 20 Jan 2009, 00:06

the masked man wrote:There is still a singles chart in the UK, though it's now dominated by downloads (I've heard that only 4% of sales now represent vinyl or CD singles). This is the current British top ten:

1 Lady Gaga - Just Dance
2 Kid Cudi Vs Crookers - Day 'n' Nite
3 James Morrison/Nelly Furtado - Broken Strings
4 Saturdays - Issues
5 Kevin Rudolf Ft Lil Wayne - Let It Rock
6 Alexandra Burke - Hallelujah
7 Beyonce - Single Ladies (put A Ring On It)
8 Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody
9 Leona Lewis - Run
10 Girls Aloud - The Loving Kind

Only one example of guitar-based music in there. However, it should be noted that it is indie and rock acts who primarily still release physical singles. Noting that their fans still like to collect vinyl, they particularly focus on releasing the immortal 7" single, often using special formats like coloured vinyl and picture discs.

The hit single is far from dead, even if its mode of consumption in the mass market is changing.

I recognise more acts than I thought I would. Some OK stuff there.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird