U2 - Get On Your Boots

Do talk back
User avatar
jimjim
Posts: 6090
Joined: 05 Nov 2004, 16:18
Location: Poneke, New Zealand.
Contact:

U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby jimjim » 19 Jan 2009, 08:34

New single. Streaming here. If anyone wants to hear, that is:

http://goyb.u2.com/
Image

If it's me and yer granny on bongos, it's still The Fall

User avatar
Jon K
Posts: 4728
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:09
Location: Liverpool England
Contact:

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Jon K » 19 Jan 2009, 09:31

Heard it last week and it takes a few listens before you get it but yeah I'm convinvced. Works for me. Not as instant as some of their past material though :D

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 24263
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 13:31
Location: Up late at night again

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Nick » 19 Jan 2009, 10:17

I heard the new U2 single this morning. Boring crap, I thought.

They've been largely shit since the mid-90s, but this is a new low. What on earth is Eno doing associating himself with this rubbish ?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Kinkhurt
Posts: 2350
Joined: 09 Feb 2004, 11:03
Location: Hairball Alley

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Kinkhurt » 19 Jan 2009, 13:22

That doesn't sound too good, Queens Of The Stoneage combined with a 1960's Bob Dylan vocal delivery. Its too rocky for u2, they aren't good enough to carry that off.
angering the feeble

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 24263
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 13:31
Location: Up late at night again

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Nick » 19 Jan 2009, 13:35

Kinkhurt wrote:That doesn't sound too good, Queens Of The Stoneage combined with a 1960's Bob Dylan vocal delivery.


There's a bit where they rip off Pump it up as well.

Tiresome in the extreme.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

User avatar
der nister
Posts: 15564
Joined: 30 Sep 2008, 18:42

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby der nister » 19 Jan 2009, 14:19

Generic sounding...
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28355
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Jan 2009, 16:38

Nick wrote:I heard the new U2 single this morning. Boring crap, I thought.

They've been largely shit since the mid-90s, but this is a new low. What on earth is Eno doing associating himself with this rubbish ?



Um, I dunno... Making money?

User avatar
bhoywonder
The Magnificent
Posts: 27391
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:06
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby bhoywonder » 19 Jan 2009, 16:40

Do U2 go to the studio and re-record their song 12 times every couple of years or is it simply copy and paste into new packaging?

User avatar
JQW
Posts: 29013
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 13:27
Location: The Crazy Loquat, Szegerely

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby JQW » 19 Jan 2009, 16:44

Nick wrote:
Kinkhurt wrote:That doesn't sound too good, Queens Of The Stoneage combined with a 1960's Bob Dylan vocal delivery.


There's a bit where they rip off Pump it up as well.

Tiresome in the extreme.


And We Didn't Start The Fire.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Bungo the Mungo

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Jan 2009, 16:45

Appalling title, mediocre song.

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 24263
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 13:31
Location: Up late at night again

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Nick » 19 Jan 2009, 16:48

Lance Matthew wrote:
Nick wrote:I heard the new U2 single this morning. Boring crap, I thought.

They've been largely shit since the mid-90s, but this is a new low. What on earth is Eno doing associating himself with this rubbish ?



Um, I dunno... Making money?


Like he needs it.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28355
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Jan 2009, 17:09

Nick wrote:
Lance Matthew wrote:
Nick wrote:I heard the new U2 single this morning. Boring crap, I thought.

They've been largely shit since the mid-90s, but this is a new low. What on earth is Eno doing associating himself with this rubbish ?



Um, I dunno... Making money?


Like he needs it.


Has that ever stopped anyone before?

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29861
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby andymacandy » 19 Jan 2009, 19:57

Nick wrote:
Kinkhurt wrote:That doesn't sound too good, Queens Of The Stoneage combined with a 1960's Bob Dylan vocal delivery.


There's a bit where they rip off Pump it up as well.

Tiresome in the extreme.

"Pump It Up" was my first reaction too.
Tolerable.Better than anything they have done for a while.
Bless the weather.......Image

010101010101
Stat Boy
Posts: 12703
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:23

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby 010101010101 » 19 Jan 2009, 20:23

JQW wrote:
Nick wrote:
Kinkhurt wrote:That doesn't sound too good, Queens Of The Stoneage combined with a 1960's Bob Dylan vocal delivery.


There's a bit where they rip off Pump it up as well.

Tiresome in the extreme.


And We Didn't Start The Fire.


And the Only Fools and Horses theme tune

The Modernist

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jan 2009, 20:36

It's not terrible, but it's not that great either -the chorus works better than the verse sections. It's too reliant on that 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' list type structure that's been done many times before, and which in their hands just sounds rather tired and second hand. Overall, the impression is of a band trying too hard to sound edgy and young.

Molony

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Molony » 19 Jan 2009, 20:55

Dr Modernist wrote:It's not terrible, but it's not that great either -the chorus works better than the verse sections. It's too reliant on that 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' list type structure that's been done many times before, and which in their hands just sounds rather tired and second hand. Overall, the impression is of a band trying too hard to sound edgy and young.


Pretty much my thoughts.

Piggly Wiggly

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 19 Jan 2009, 21:00

I didn't even make it to the end.

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 15079
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 Jan 2009, 23:54

On the positive side, Bono doesn't want to talk about wars between the nations.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.


User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 17965
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby Tactful Cactus » 20 Jan 2009, 12:17

Sweet Black Angel wrote:
Nick wrote:
Kinkhurt wrote: Pump it up .



And We Didn't Start The Fire.


And the Only Fools and Horses theme tune


:lol:

User avatar
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14424
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: U2 - Get On Your Boots

Postby The Red Heifer » 20 Jan 2009, 12:25

Sir John San Juan wrote:I didn't even make it to the end.


I've heard it on the radio probably 7 times in the space of a day and I still haven't wanted to hear how it ends. Even when I was in a store where it was playing, I just walked out :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?