So then, who were the best band of the 90s

Do talk back
Bungo the Mungo

Re: So then, who were the best band of the 90s

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Jan 2009, 10:35

Goat Boy wrote:I think if Bernard Butler had stuck with them they would have been the finest band of the decade. That partnership really had something, you know? The first two Suede albums are both fantastic (yes, BOTH) and those early singles glitter and shimmer in all the right places. A lost opportunity....

Yes, probably.

Still can't get into that second album....

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Jan 2009, 10:37

martha wrote:
meetthesonics wrote:So then, who were the best band of the 90s?

Morphine.

OK, I give in!

Where'd you recommend as a starting point, M?

lividlunch

Postby lividlunch » 20 Jan 2009, 10:42

Sir John Coan wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote: No-one for Suede?

I almost take it for granted nowadays that Britpop as a movement (if there ever really was one) is given very short shrift here at BCB. Nonetheless I strongly believe that the best of it - early Oasis, Pulp's two classic albums, Supergrass for their first three, Elastica's debut, and much from Blur - shits on anything produced over the last 20 years.

Seems people often have an aversion to silly pop songs here, often preferring 'soundscapes' and 'difficult' music. It might be a class thing, I don't know. I'll say this: it's more difficult to put together a Parklife or a Definitely Maybe than it is a Geogaddi or a Kid A, but suit yourselves.

I'm going to have to call "bullshit" on that last claim. It is far less difficult to write a straight-ahead, no-imagination pop song than it is to actually stretch one's brain and tease out compositions like those on Kid A or Geogaddi. It just makes much more sense than the other way around. Bands have been relying on the pop hook formula ever since the Beatles, and even earlier. It takes both talent and brazenness to break that mold. Britpop made a name for itself, that's obvious, but don't tell me they did it by writing more difficult songs.

Dogran

Postby Dogran » 20 Jan 2009, 10:47

Sir John Coan wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I think if Bernard Butler had stuck with them they would have been the finest band of the decade. That partnership really had something, you know? The first two Suede albums are both fantastic (yes, BOTH) and those early singles glitter and shimmer in all the right places. A lost opportunity....

Yes, probably.

Still can't get into that second album....

Tsk. Dog Man Star pisses all over their debut.

In fact, I would go so far as to say it is one of the ten best albums of the nineties.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jan 2009, 10:47

lividlunch wrote:
I'm going to have to call "bullshit" on that last claim. It is far less difficult to write a straight-ahead, no-imagination pop song than it is to actually stretch one's brain and tease out compositions like those on Kid A or Geogaddi. It just makes much more sense than the other way around. Bands have been relying on the pop hook formula ever since the Beatles, and even earlier. It takes both talent and brazenness to break that mold. Britpop made a name for itself, that's obvious, but don't tell me they did it by writing more difficult songs.

'No imagination pop song'? Like This Is A Low or Slide Away? I reckon it's harder to come up with something like that then something off Kid A personally.

There is nothing wrong with POP.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jan 2009, 10:48

Dogran wrote:Tsk. Dog Man Star pisses all over their debut.

In fact, I would go so far as to say it is one of the ten best albums of the nineties.

Hurrah! Pleased to meet you, one of us!

Welcome to the board Dogran...
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Jan 2009, 10:49

lividlunch wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:
I almost take it for granted nowadays that Britpop as a movement (if there ever really was one) is given very short shrift here at BCB. Nonetheless I strongly believe that the best of it - early Oasis, Pulp's two classic albums, Supergrass for their first three, Elastica's debut, and much from Blur - shits on anything produced over the last 20 years.

Seems people often have an aversion to silly pop songs here, often preferring 'soundscapes' and 'difficult' music. It might be a class thing, I don't know. I'll say this: it's more difficult to put together a Parklife or a Definitely Maybe than it is a Geogaddi or a Kid A, but suit yourselves.

Absolute nonsense.

I'm glad you're here. :D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jan 2009, 10:50

Oh, and The Prodigy....

Might get short shrift round here but three terrific albums, some classic singles and an amazing live act at their peak.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 20 Jan 2009, 10:54

lividlunch wrote:Seems people often have an aversion to silly pop songs here, often preferring 'soundscapes' and 'difficult' music. It might be a class thing, I don't know. I'll say this: it's more difficult to put together a Parklife or a Definitely Maybe than it is a Geogaddi or a Kid A, but suit yourselves.

Well it's impossible to quantify it either way (but fun to debate of course). There is a template for much of Blur and Oasis's output (at least the earlier mid 90s stuff) - I don't think either of them were innovators of any kind.
Last edited by Balboa on 20 Jan 2009, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

dang65

Postby dang65 » 20 Jan 2009, 10:55

By-the-way, my personal favourite band of the 90s would be Transglobal Underground with this little run of classics:

Dream of 100 Nations (1993)
International Times (1994)
Psychic Karaoke (1996)
Rejoice Rejoice (1998)

But I know there's not much call for them round these parts. Just wanted them included on the thread.

lividlunch

Postby lividlunch » 20 Jan 2009, 11:14

Goat Boy wrote:Oh, and The Prodigy....

Might get short shrift round here but three terrific albums, some classic singles and an amazing live act at their peak.

:lol: oh man, I wasn't expecting that!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jan 2009, 11:20

lividlunch wrote:

Better than Boards Of Canada!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Jan 2009, 11:30

Sir John Coan wrote:

A class thing? I've heard some daft theores JC, but I can't go along with that one.
Both have their place of course, but, be honest, Definately Maybe was probably almost effortless - Noel had the tunes done and dusted, they just bashed them out. Big deal.

Kid A was agonised over because the band had used up their store of pop hooks on The Bends and then blown their rock atmospherics over OK Computer. It's the sound of a band really having to work I think. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

I have to admit from personal experience that the 'experimental jam' approach to music-making is a lazy stoner's cop-out sometimes (I think the care and minute detail Boards Of Canada put into their music rules them out here), but clearly not always.

I would say that I think Parklife is the sound of a real talented songwriter finding his feet, sadly it's just not my thing.

You're going to have to back up your class analysis of music I think.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Jan 2009, 11:33

Deebank wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

A class thing? I've heard some daft theores JC, but I can't go along with that one.

I don't know how I can.

I know that from people I've met, the 'lads' tend to go for Oasis and the more introspective sorts go for Radiohead. There's a lot of truth in that, as we all know.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Jan 2009, 11:37

Goat Boy wrote:
lividlunch wrote:

Better than Boards Of Canada!

The Prod were shite live. Like being shouted at by a bunch of angry toddlers with a shit beat box playing through a transistor radio. Arse.

I've never seen BOC live. I'd imagine they'd be mellow :) ;)

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Jan 2009, 11:41

Sir John Coan wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

I don't know how I can.

I know that from people I've met, the 'lads' tend to go for Oasis and the more introspective sorts go for Radiohead. There's a lot of truth in that, as we all know.

Oasis are for real, down to earth, top blokes and footy fans while Radiohead are for prancing, public school milquetoasts and bed wetters... is that what your getting at?

Perhaps we can classify their respective fans on an IQ scale with Oasis fans at one end of the spectrum and Radiohead fans at the other - it's about as valid imo.

... just a thought, but I've seen both acts live a number of times and I reckon their respective fans are equally annoying - but in very different ways. I hesitate to say it but I think this backs-up the JC argument.
Last edited by Deebank on 20 Jan 2009, 11:49, edited 2 times in total.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jan 2009, 11:44

Deebank wrote:
The Prod were shite live. Like being shouted at by a bunch of angry toddlers with a shit beat box playing through a transistor radio. Arse.

:o

They were fantastic when I saw them even if they are a bit of a joke these days but they were great in the 90's and I maintain that!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Jan 2009, 11:48

Goat Boy wrote:
Deebank wrote:

:o

They were fantastic when I saw them even if they are a bit of a joke these days but they were great in the 90's and I maintain that!

I think I'm just a few years older than yourself... just enough to put me into the 'scowling adult' demographic when they were at their height while you were presumably in the 'enthusiastic youth' sector.

Nowt wrong with rebellion and nihilism of course, but the Prodigy seemed to be a load of piss and wind signifying nothing...

and there were no proper tunes... not like in the old days... a song you could whistle to a budgie :evil:

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Jan 2009, 11:54

Deebank wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:
Deebank wrote:A class thing? I've heard some daft theores JC, but I can't go along with that one.

I don't know how I can.

Oasis are for real, down to earth, top blokes and footy fans while Radiohead are for prancing, public school milquetoasts and bed wetters... is that what your getting at?

Yep.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Jan 2009, 12:01

Deebank wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:
Deebank wrote:A class thing? I've heard some daft theores JC, but I can't go along with that one.

Yep.

75-80 percent accurate... probably.