Artists who make their cash early, THEN comes the good stuff

Do talk back
funky_nomad
paranoid

Artists who make their cash early, THEN comes the good stuff

Postby funky_nomad » 16 Jan 2009, 13:54

There are those who make it big early on, then spend the rest of their careers trying to reach those high spots again. There are those who take years to make it big then sell out for the cash and cruis along in their comfort zone ever-after.

And then there are those who make it big early and use this is a springboard to create their masterpiece, free of any pressures.

Exhibit A - Maria McKee. Made it big with Lone Justice, then penned Show Me Heaven and A Good Heart, but, rather than live off the royalties made this:

which is as angry, tortured and visceral as "pop" albums come. At times it can feel almost invasive listening to it. And it is brilliant.

Yours?
Just a penitent man

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Artists who make their cash early, THEN comes the good stuff

Postby Moleskin » 16 Jan 2009, 14:05

Well, that is a fantastic album. I agree with your nomination wholeheartedly.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 16 Jan 2009, 14:09

That's not to say that The Walker Brothers didn't make some very fine records. But the greatness of his music rose in directly opposite relation to his sales.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

dang65

Postby dang65 » 16 Jan 2009, 14:24

I guess people like Kate Bush and Bjork would count in this category? Big hit single and album, then they spend as long as they like making more and more experimental stuff.

Though I'm not an expert on either of those, so maybe not.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 16 Jan 2009, 14:29

funky_nomad wrote:...but, rather than live off the royalties made this...

Isn't this exactly wrong, though? She probably is living off the royalties and need never chase the dollar again. That freedom has allowed her to make work with which she's happy. I haven't heard the LP in question.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 16 Jan 2009, 14:39

brotherlouie wrote:Isn't this exactly wrong, though? She probably is living off the royalties and need never chase the dollar again. That freedom has allowed her to make work with which she's happy.

Which differs from this:

And then there are those who make it big early and use this is a springboard to create their masterpiece, free of any pressures.

Exhibit A:

in what way?
Just a penitent man

FOR5

Postby FOR5 » 16 Jan 2009, 14:40

For someone whose only ever heard Maria McKee sing Show Me Heaven, can you please tell me what the fuss is all about with her, she seems to get a fair bit of praise round here and from music critics - (I apologise in advance for my ignorance).
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."

Groucho Marx

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jan 2009, 14:43

FOR5 wrote:For someone whose only ever heard Maria McKee sing Show Me Heaven, can you please tell me what the fuss is all about with her, she seems to get a fair bit of praise round here and from music critics - (I apologise in advance for my ignorance).

'cos her brother was in Love, and she was sort of modestly sexy for a while. One for the poetry boys.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 16 Jan 2009, 14:50

comrade moleskin wrote:Well, that is a fantastic album. I agree with your nomination wholeheartedly.

Me too... !!

Of course, regularly getting royalties makes being adventurous a lot easier.

What's interesting with Maria McKee is that neither of her two turgid million-sellers (Feargal Sharkey's A Good Heart and her own Show Me Heaven) soils any of her albums.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 16 Jan 2009, 14:52

Neige wrote:
comrade moleskin wrote:Well, that is a fantastic album. I agree with your nomination wholeheartedly.

Me too... !!

What's interesting with Maria McKee is that neither of her two turgid million-sellers (Feargal Sharkey's A Good Heart and her own Show Me Heaven) soils any of her albums.

Unfortunately she has now released a version of 'A Good Heart': it's on her most recent album. :cry:
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 16 Jan 2009, 14:52

FOR5 wrote:For someone whose only ever heard Maria McKee sing Show Me Heaven, can you please tell me what the fuss is all about with her, she seems to get a fair bit of praise round here and from music critics - (I apologise in advance for my ignorance).

I find McKee a bit meh when she's doing the saccharine stuff like Show Me Heaven, to be honest.

But get her angry, and it's different kettle of fish. And she was bitingly angry on Life Is Sweet, the lyrics more than the music (although the latter shreds at times).

A couple of clips from Life Is Sweet might be enough, but if not listen with a lyric sheet.

Absolutely Barking Stars
[youtube]BYyhbnfOGPs&feature=related[/youtube]

Scarlover
[youtube]rCpeVcH4bb4&feature=related[/youtube]
Just a penitent man

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 16 Jan 2009, 15:02

McKee's If Love is a Red Dress (then hang me in rags) off the Pulp Fiction OST is a belter.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 16 Jan 2009, 15:30

comrade moleskin wrote:
Neige wrote:

Me too... !!

Unfortunately she has now released a version of 'A Good Heart': it's on her most recent album. :cry:

:evil:

I'm not very keen on it anyway, the last couple albums left me rather cold.
But I'll never forget her performing the Life Is Sweet material in this small local club (the Mühle Hunziken), certainly one of my top ten concerts:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Return to “Yakety Yak”