Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Do talk back
lemon
Posts: 5794
Joined: 16 Nov 2003, 21:10

Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby lemon » 14 Jan 2009, 18:05

It's £24 for the individual discs on play.com as opposed to £30 for the box set (I found it cheaper from a couple of other sites but not ones I trust). Does the box set offer anything worth those extra £6 or is it just a container for the 8 discs?

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29524
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Jan 2009, 18:09

The individual discs were made back in the '80s and not remastered. They're very hissy with low recording levels (the Hoffmen probably had a wankfest). Those are the ones I've got.
I've never been able to ascertain if the box set consists of the same discs or if it's remastered.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

lemon
Posts: 5794
Joined: 16 Nov 2003, 21:10

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby lemon » 14 Jan 2009, 18:16

Lance Matthew wrote:The individual discs were made back in the '80s and not remastered. They're very hissy with low recording levels (the Hoffmen probably had a wankfest). Those are the ones I've got.
I've never been able to ascertain if the box set consists of the same discs or if it's remastered.


From what I've been reading they haven't been remastered, but I figured they'd be good enough quality seeing as it's a well rated set of cds. I'm wondering about things like booklets to make it feel like more of a set rather than just 8 discs in a box.

Edit: but I will consider it more now if you say they're not so good sounding.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29524
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Jan 2009, 18:19

lemon wrote:
Lance Matthew wrote:The individual discs were made back in the '80s and not remastered. They're very hissy with low recording levels (the Hoffmen probably had a wankfest). Those are the ones I've got.
I've never been able to ascertain if the box set consists of the same discs or if it's remastered.


From what I've been reading they haven't been remastered, but I figured they'd be good enough quality seeing as it's a well rated set of cds. I'm wondering about things like booklets to make it feel like more of a set rather than just 8 discs in a box.

Edit: but I will consider it more now if you say they're not so good sounding.


The individual CDs do come with booklets. At least they did in the '80s.
They've got very small type though.

If you don't own most of this music then you can't go wrong either way. This series of albums made me a soul convert in college.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Mychael
Posts: 5452
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:49
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Mychael » 14 Jan 2009, 18:23

lemon wrote:
Lance Matthew wrote: I'm wondering about things like booklets to make it feel like more of a set rather than just 8 discs in a box.


I got the original LP-size boxset, which came with a thick 12 x 12" book, containing detailed biographies of the artists and recording dates, musicians and release info for each track.

I think there was a later edition in CD size, which was just a cardboard box with the individual CDs.
Bear tracks, bear tracks comin' up to you: http://www.bearfamilyradio.com/index.php?lang=en

Hugh
Posts: 15682
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Hugh » 14 Jan 2009, 18:27

I've got the vinyl set of 7 double albums.

Doesn't help you much though, does it?

lemon
Posts: 5794
Joined: 16 Nov 2003, 21:10

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby lemon » 14 Jan 2009, 18:31

Mychael wrote:I think there was a later edition in CD size, which was just a cardboard box with the individual CDs.


OK, thanks. I'll probably just go with the individual discs if anything then.

Hugh Jarse wrote:I've got the vinyl set of 7 double albums.

Doesn't help you much though, does it?


Well, I suppose if the vinyl set is more of a complete package I could look out for that instead, though I'd imagine it's harder to come by. Been meaning to increase my vinyl collection though.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20852
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Muskrat » 14 Jan 2009, 18:53

There's a problem that I can't remember exactly, but will point you in the right direction -- someone more knowledgeable (or with a better memory) may want to elaborate.

The original LP configuration included about a zillion (more or less) tracks. When the first CDs were reissued, the number of songs on each was diminished, by a significant number. Then there was a later CD reissue, with all of the "missing" cuts restored.

In other words, you may want to check the number of tracks on one version vs. the other before laying down the big bucks. Of course, it may not make a difference.

My copy (CDs) includes an LP-sized, softcover booklet.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29524
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Jan 2009, 19:03

Muskrat wrote:There's a problem that I can't remember exactly, but will point you in the right direction -- someone more knowledgeable (or with a better memory) may want to elaborate.

The original LP configuration included about a zillion (more or less) tracks. When the first CDs were reissued, the number of songs on each was diminished, by a significant number. Then there was a later CD reissue, with all of the "missing" cuts restored.

In other words, you may want to check the number of tracks on one version vs. the other before laying down the big bucks. Of course, it may not make a difference.

My copy (CDs) includes an LP-sized, softcover booklet.



Some of the CDs missed one or at the most two tracks because of time constraints.
Some of the discs didn't miss tracks at all.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29524
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Jan 2009, 23:27

goldwax wrote:Don't let Matt's comments about sound dissuade you from the CD box. It sounds great. The booklet is nice, but probably not essential.


Care to show me where I commented on the sound of the CD box?
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20852
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Muskrat » 14 Jan 2009, 23:55

Lance Matthew wrote:
goldwax wrote:Don't let Matt's comments about sound dissuade you from the CD box. It sounds great. The booklet is nice, but probably not essential.


Care to show me where I commented on the sound of the CD box?



Oooh! Let me!

Lance Matthew wrote:The individual discs were made back in the '80s and not remastered. They're very hissy with low recording levels (the Hoffmen probably had a wankfest). Those are the ones I've got.
I've never been able to ascertain if the box set consists of the same discs or if it's remastered.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29524
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Jan 2009, 00:25

Muskrat wrote:
Lance Matthew wrote:
goldwax wrote:Don't let Matt's comments about sound dissuade you from the CD box. It sounds great. The booklet is nice, but probably not essential.


Care to show me where I commented on the sound of the CD box?



Oooh! Let me!

Lance Matthew wrote:The individual discs were made back in the '80s and not remastered. They're very hissy with low recording levels (the Hoffmen probably had a wankfest). Those are the ones I've got.
I've never been able to ascertain if the box set consists of the same discs or if it's remastered.


I'm talking about the individual CDs sold before there even was such a thing as a CD box set.
I've never heard the box. Sorry to dissapoint you, Todd.

Gee, do ya think my last sentence in the passage you quoted above was any indication?

:roll:
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20852
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Muskrat » 15 Jan 2009, 00:27

I leave this one to the jury.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29524
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Atlantic R&B: box set vs separate discs

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Jan 2009, 00:29

Muskrat wrote:I leave this one to the jury.


You guys are like a tag team.
First one can't read and then he slaps the palm of the other guy who takes his place and lo and behold he can't read either.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.