Trying to throw away old vinyl

Do talk back
shortfatb

Trying to throw away old vinyl

Postby shortfatb » 12 Jan 2009, 20:17

Going through some old vinyl planning to get rid of some to give us more space, but I listened to them all and now I'm keeping them. They're not all great but they've all got something and some of it still sounded great.

Anyone got an opinion on any of these or a similar inability to get rid of music however unlistened to.

ClockDVA Breakdown Remix 12"

DAF Gold Und Liebe

DAF Alles ist Gut

Scars Author Author

Rip, Rig and Panic Bob Hope 12"

Rip, Rig and Panic God

Steve Nieve Keyboard Jungle

Tracey Thorn A Distant Shore

Swell Maps A Trip to Marineville
Including the 7" with Steven Does and Loin of the Surf on it

Mutant Disco Compilation

James Chance and the Contortions Second Chance

The Modernist

Re: Trying to throw away old vinyl

Postby The Modernist » 12 Jan 2009, 22:35

I've got quite a few of those vinyl records myself -namely the ClockDVA, Rip Rig & Panic and DAF ones. We must have been into the same stuff! They're all in my mum's loft and she's been on at me to get rid of them for years. But it's too much of a nightmare for me transport them to my flat but I don't want to get rid of them either, so I keep coming up with lame delaying tactics.
Good version of Black Angels Death Song on Breakdown's b-side I always thought.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 12 Jan 2009, 22:50

It would be a mistake to throw out A trip to Marineville.

It is worth a few bob you know...
You don't like me...do you?

shortfatb

Postby shortfatb » 12 Jan 2009, 22:53

Dr Modernist wrote:I've got quite a few of those vinyl records myself -namely the ClockDVA, Rip Rig & Panic and DAF ones. We must have been into the same stuff! They're all in my mum's loft and she's been on at me to get rid of them for years. But it's too much of a nightmare for me transport them to my flat but I don't want to get rid of them either, so I keep coming up with lame delaying tactics.
Good version of Black Angels Death Song on Breakdown's b-side I always thought.

I think most of them were bought without hearing them, just from recommendations from NME or The Face at the time! The DAF stuff still sounds good, I was reminded of it by the new VW Golf ad where the guy fights himself as the music sounds like them, it's actually Keine Melodien which is on the 2manydjs album, which is maybe why I went upstairs in the first place.

The Steve Nieve was from a time when I bought everything by Elvis and the Attractions, Swell Maps were from Leamington where I live and the Mutant Disco and Contortions stuff was part of that Kid Creole/Was not Was/James White/Black/Chance obsession that gave rise to horrible British copy bands.

The Velvets song is a good cover, you're right, I've just listened to it for the first time in 20 plus years.

shortfatb

Postby shortfatb » 12 Jan 2009, 22:55

yomptepi wrote:It would be a mistake to throw out A trip to Marineville.

It is worth a few bob you know...

Really? Well I won't throw it away, I won't be throwing any of them away, I'll just find somewhere else to store them as usual. :)

CharliePalloy

Postby CharliePalloy » 12 Jan 2009, 23:30

I have "Mutant Disco" ( The great Coati Mundi's finest moment )and did have "the scars " and the Steve Nieve albums ,I am planning a clear out ,some of the stuff I get in weak moments really has me shaking my own head :lol:

I was going to put some on Ebay but it really is hit and miss and lately I have noticed my local charity shops dont seem to have a vinyl section ,just cd's and DVD'S

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 12 Jan 2009, 23:34

I have Mutant Disco too. I particularly like Bustin' Out and Wheel Me Out.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 13 Jan 2009, 06:57

I'm going (as I may have mentioned) on a major cleaning out of my files. So far, I've got rid of a couple thousand CDs, and almost as much vinyl (sorry, Goldwax -- you waited too long).

And I'm still going through my collection, sorting and tossing. Well, not exactly tossing; I've got a couple of dealers who make house calls and haul 'em away, paying me whatever they damned well please. It's like those commercials you see on TV: "send us all your old jewelry, watches and other precious metals, and we'll send you a check for what we damned well say it's worth. And you can't argue, because now we've got your stuff."*

The original plan was to rid myself of practically everything. Probably a good idea, in the long run, but as it stands I'm still keeping more than half of my CDs -- vinyl's pretty much entirely gone, except a couple of albums by friends too obscure to make it to CD, and a few that I had something to do with that never made it to CD.

Funny thing is, you can peer into my apartment and it still looks like bloody hell. Oh -- and I'm distraught by how many CDs I find myself owning more than one copy of.

* when whined at, the wise guys reply, "Well, if you want them all back, so you can try to find another dealer..."
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 13 Jan 2009, 07:44

In the late seventies, I made the mistake of getting rid of a load of vinyl that I thought I’d outgrown. It was the time of new wave: I had cut my hair, straightened my jeans & I wanted in. I contacted Cob Records who used to advertise in NME and they took those old albums in exchange for something new. I ended up missing all of those albums terribly and have since re-bought most of them on CD.

shortfatb

Postby shortfatb » 13 Jan 2009, 07:56

The Rokster wrote:In the late seventies, I made the mistake of getting rid of a load of vinyl that I thought I’d outgrown. It was the time of new wave: I had cut my hair, straightened my jeans & I wanted in. I contacted Cob Records who used to advertise in NME and they took those old albums in exchange for something new. I ended up missing all of those albums terribly and have since re-bought most of them on CD.

I went to Uni late and had no cash and was shifting 10 to 15 albums a week just to keep alive in the mid 80's, all stuff from about '74 onwards and mainly from '76 onwards. I also sold over 200 punk and new wave singles in 1987 for £100, I have nightmares about the treasures that were in there. :(

Short Goalie

Postby Short Goalie » 13 Jan 2009, 11:07

shortfatb wrote:
The Rokster wrote:In the late seventies, I made the mistake of getting rid of a load of vinyl that I thought I’d outgrown. It was the time of new wave: I had cut my hair, straightened my jeans & I wanted in. I contacted Cob Records who used to advertise in NME and they took those old albums in exchange for something new. I ended up missing all of those albums terribly and have since re-bought most of them on CD.

I went to Uni late and had no cash and was shifting 10 to 15 albums a week just to keep alive in the mid 80's, all stuff from about '74 onwards and mainly from '76 onwards. I also sold over 200 punk and new wave singles in 1987 for £100, I have nightmares about the treasures that were in there. :(

In the early eighties I was caught travelling on the tube without a ticket. I had to go to court and pay a £100 fine (things were harsher in those days, before small on-the-spot fines). The only way I could pay it was to sell most of my records, I was left with about 20 or so. I still regret it to this day and I've not sold anything since. Not even the hopelessly crap, laughably useless, free comp cds that, over the years, have been aquired from god knows where.

It must have taught me a lesson, as it is still my only criminal conviction. The Daily Mail would be impressed! :oops:
No!

shortfatb

Postby shortfatb » 13 Jan 2009, 12:34

Animal Shapes wrote:
shortfatb wrote:

In the early eighties I was caught travelling on the tube without a ticket. I had to go to court and pay a £100 fine (things were harsher in those days, before small on-the-spot fines). The only way I could pay it was to sell most of my records, I was left with about 20 or so. I still regret it to this day and I've not sold anything since. Not even the hopelessly crap, laughably useless, free comp cds that, over the years, have been aquired from god knows where.

It must have taught me a lesson, as it is still my only criminal conviction. The Daily Mail would be impressed! :oops:

Or have you just not been caught? ;) God those late 70's and 80's were tough weren't they? These kids today they don't know etc, etc,.... wipes rheumy eye and reminisces silently before the need to go to the toilet kicks in again.

Return to “Yakety Yak”