Sad, but uplifting, albums.

Do talk back
Six String

Re: Sad, but uplifting, albums.

Postby Six String » 17 Jan 2009, 19:09

Diamond Dog wrote:This is for those albums that, musically, put you on a high - but, actually, are sad in content. The kind of album that makes you think "Man, i can't play that again - it just wrecks me. But I love it!".

Exhibit A:

Has anyone heard The Sweetest Punch, The Bill Frissell version of this album? I bought it yesterday by accident. I meant to get the original as above. That's what I get for not looking closer. I knew about the other version but I momentarily forgot. Anyway it has a lot of great musicians on it including many that have played with Frissell as well as a few jazzers and a guest vocal by Cassandra Wilson. I'm still going to buy the other one but it will be interesting coming from the direction of a mostly instrumental interpretation of the album. Elvis says Bill nailed it but I guess I won't know until I get the other one. ;)

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Re: Sad, but uplifting, albums.

Postby the masked man » 18 Jan 2009, 01:20

Colossal Youth by Young Marble Giants springs to mind. A real idiosyncrasy, released on Rough Trade at the height of post-punk's angry angularity, it never raises its voice and deals in the quietest sadness imaginable. Yet it creates such a lovely bubble of sound that it expresses an unlikely warmth. Rock is too often about an offputting larger-than-life boorishness; this is refreshingly human-sized by contrast. It says something to me about my life.