Brute Force

Do talk back
Kenji
Otaku

Brute Force

Postby Kenji » 11 Jan 2009, 05:03

I'm sorry to copy exactly from Now Playing thread but this album needs a thread alone, I think.

I can't believe how amazing it is...after (almost) one listen I think it's better than Black Merda, Mer-da, Cymande, Boscoe, Demon Fuzz, Amnesty, Pieces of Peace etc.

"Brute Force" - Brute Force

From sticker on front:

Radical soul-jazz classic featuring the blistering guitar-playing of Sonny Sharrock on three tracks. Originally released in 1971.

AMG said:

Brute Force was a soul-jazz band (slanted toward the soul end) that released a single self-titled album in 1970, produced by Herbie Mann. The band had a solid soul sound, which could head into slightly more out territory, as well. The band and Mann had a stroke of genius when they decided to recruit the band's childhood friend and Mann bandmate Sonny Sharrock (who had also played with Pharoah Sanders at that point) to add some extra spice to the sessions. The results are so righteous and groovy, you'll wonder where this album has been for the last 30 years. Imagine the Black Panthers recording Memphis Underground and you're somewhere in the ballpark. Strong vocals on about half the tunes, great horn playing, dirty electric piano, killer two-bass grooves, and Sharrock's ultra-aggressive soul playing make this album a solid winner. Sharrock fans will flip at this forgotten session, and DJs and crate-diggers everywhere would be well-served by picking this up. Right on, Brother!

Dusty Groove said:

The one and only album by this righteous funky combo from Ohio! Although Brute Force were an American group of the late 60s, they've got a sound that brings in traces of the African rhythms that were bubbling under at the time -- similar to some of the best London groups of the post-colonial years, like Cymande, Demon Fuzz, or Asiko. There's often a jagged and jazzy style on the bottom of the grooves, topped with brighter horn flourishes, and combined with a vocal approach that has some slight folksy touches -- very hip, progressive, and as righteous as you'd expect from the cover! Sonny Sharrock sits in on some tracks.

Balboa

Re: Brute Force

Postby Balboa » 11 Jan 2009, 13:45

I've been after it for as long as you Kenji. I can't remember why I haven't received it - I think Amazon cancelled my order. I will try again.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 11 Jan 2009, 16:00

Balboa wrote:I've been after it for as long as you Kenji. I can't remember why I haven't received it - I think Amazon cancelled my order. I will try again.

I just saw GBP 6.32 from Caiman USA at Amazon UK :)

(I read positive comments about Caiman on BCB but my JAMC box
still didn't come - I ordered that on December 20... I hope it's OK :? )

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 11 Jan 2009, 16:01

Kenji wrote:
Balboa wrote:I've been after it for as long as you Kenji. I can't remember why I haven't received it - I think Amazon cancelled my order. I will try again.

Caiman are fine - takes a little while, but they are reliable.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 11 Jan 2009, 16:02

Balboa wrote:
Kenji wrote:

Caiman are fine - takes a little while, but they are reliable.

I sent a email yesterday about "missing order" :oops:

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 11 Jan 2009, 18:59

That's weird...I never ordered the CD and somehow it arrived at my place yesterday.
the Eagles suck.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 11 Jan 2009, 22:09

Matty Red Sox wrote:

That's weird...I never ordered the CD and somehow it arrived at my place yesterday.

:)

I've re-ordered it.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 11 Jan 2009, 22:33

Balboa wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:That's weird...I never ordered the CD and somehow it arrived at my place yesterday.

:)

I've re-ordered it.

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for that copy too!
the Eagles suck.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 16 Jan 2009, 17:59

Home from work and this has arrived today! Will listen later tonight and report back!

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 24 Jan 2009, 10:27

So I have given this some listening now - it's great! It's maybe a bit more commercial sounding than Black Merda or Boscoe - but in a good way, it is also more upbeat than either of those, with less of a focus on guitar and more focus on rhythm.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 25 Jan 2009, 04:11

Balboa wrote:So I have given this some listening now - it's great! It's maybe a bit more commercial sounding than Black Merda or Boscoe - but in a good way, it is also more upbeat than either of those, with less of a focus on guitar and more focus on rhythm.

I listened again just before...
I like how it starts a little commercial but becomes a different sound by the end with "Ye-La-Wa" (great groove, a little 'out') and "Doubt" (very mellow)...

Return to “Yakety Yak”