Echoes

Do talk back
Mychael

Echoes

Postby Mychael » 09 Jan 2009, 08:58

Great, isn't it?
The greatest all-around-fantastic Floyd Song in my opinion.

I watched the live in Danzig version from Gilmour & Wright last night - there's some really mindblowing passages, especially the bit where Gilmour plays distorted noise guitar licks, which are then answered with jazzy Hammond playing like a doped-out Brian Auger.

And my heart melts when Gilmour and Wright sing the verses in harmony.
Bear tracks, bear tracks comin' up to you: http://www.bearfamilyradio.com/index.php?lang=en

tweetybird

Re: Echoes

Postby tweetybird » 09 Jan 2009, 09:02

Brilliant stuff. And it's Gilmour and Wright's song, even though Waters got the credit.

The best version I know is the BBC one (from around the time the album was released). There's not a single wasted second there, even though it's nearly 25 minutes long.
Quaco wrote: Life isn't always fun, but it's the only open pub in a ghost town. What else is there to do?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Jan 2009, 10:13

Fave Floyd-track, hands down.
The screeching gull-middle part is amazing- the rest evokes a balmy night on board of a ship.
Lazy-ass brilliance.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Mychael

Postby Mychael » 09 Jan 2009, 12:08

A nice moment in the "Danzig Concert" movie: Wright plays the first, single piano (or distorted clavinet/synth, or whatever) note, there's two seconds of silence, then the whole place erupts with recognition. :)
Bear tracks, bear tracks comin' up to you: http://www.bearfamilyradio.com/index.php?lang=en

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 09 Jan 2009, 12:31

Probably my favourite Pink Floyd song. I saw them perform it live on their 1972 tour and I've listened to it fairly regularly since it was released. I've got the remastered version of the Crystal Voyager film and it's always nice to dig out and enjoy Echoes that way every once in a while.

dang65

Postby dang65 » 09 Jan 2009, 12:51

Just went looking for a YouTube clip of the live Echoes from Danzig (it's up there in three parts) and came across this clip of Waters and Gilmour bumping into each other.

If anyone asks you to define "being English" then just show them that clip. :(

der nister

Postby der nister » 09 Jan 2009, 15:21

Always loved 'Echoes" wonder if Floyd had heard Taj Mahal Travellers at that time.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 09 Jan 2009, 15:44

The version on the re-mastered Live at Pompeii vid is also a belter.
Bless the weather.......Image

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 09 Jan 2009, 15:53

andymacandy wrote:The version on the re-mastered Live at Pompeii vid is also a belter.

But Adrian Maben's Director's Cut is terrible! :o I only watch his original movie on the DVD (and extras interviews)- I don't think I could watch more than about 10 minutes of Director's Cut and then I turned off...

When I was a high school student I watched "Live At Pompeii" several times a week! (I had it on Beta and then VHS :oops: )

di Maio
Location: Down in Dixieland loudly playing a silver fiddle, minding the Man

Postby di Maio » 09 Jan 2009, 16:31

Kenji wrote:
andymacandy wrote:The version on the re-mastered Live at Pompeii vid is also a belter.

But Adrian Maben's Director's Cut is terrible! :o I only watch his original movie on the DVD (and extras interviews)- I don't think I could watch more than about 10 minutes of Director's Cut and then I turned off...

When I was a high school student I watched "Live At Pompeii" several times a week! (I had it on Beta and then VHS :oops: )

Hahah that Director's Cut is awful. For those who haven't seen it, it has all this cheesy 90s looking CGI of planets blowing up and volcanos erupting. It's like it was created by asking a 7 year old boy what looks cool and then telling him to do it.

We had the VHS edition at the Blockbuster Video where I used to work. When we accidentally destroyed the advertisements tapes, the managers said we could play any G rated tape we wanted. Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii was our most popular choice. I tried 2001: a Space Odyssey once, but all of these old people got pissed off when HAL killed all of the hibernating astronauts. They thought the buzzers were smoke alarms and got angry when they realized it was the film.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Jan 2009, 16:42

Great song, great album.
Better than Piper, in fact.

NMB

Postby NMB » 09 Jan 2009, 18:05

Never/Ever wrote:The screeching gull-middle part is amazing.

You hear gulls? I've always heard pterodactyls (or however it's spelt.)
turn on, tune in, nod off

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 09 Jan 2009, 18:47

It's very near perfect.
One of my favourite pieces of music.
I run out of talent

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 09 Jan 2009, 18:59

kaspar plc. wrote:It's very near perfect.

I think it is perfect: as good as it gets.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 09 Jan 2009, 19:36

The Rokster wrote:
kaspar plc. wrote:It's very near perfect.

I think it is perfect: as good as it gets.

There's no need for me to elaborate on this sentiment. It's been close to my heart for over 20 years now, and seeing it performed by Wright and Gilmour a few years back was an experience I'll always treasure.

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 09 Jan 2009, 20:11

"...and do I take it in my hand"

{one of the best drum fills, ever}

My favourite Floyd LP too (shame about Seamus and St Tropez - wouldve been a perfect LP otherwise)

bixhenry

Postby bixhenry » 10 Jan 2009, 01:36

Not a big fan of the post-Syd Floyd, but that song is hands, arms, legs, and ears my favorite non-Barrett Floyd song. It is a masterpiece of the highest order.
Wu-Tang Clan's Rza, on his non-rap influences: "Pink Floyd, Beatles, Yes...all them niggas!"

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Jan 2009, 02:16

di Maio wrote:
Kenji wrote:

Hahah that Director's Cut is awful. For those who haven't seen it, it has all this cheesy 90s looking CGI of planets blowing up and volcanos erupting. It's like it was created by asking a 7 year old boy what looks cool and then telling him to do it.

It's a stinker alright. When I got the DVD it took me a panicked few minutes to locate the original film; I found the navigation confusing. I was ready to be really pissed off if I had to watch those pathetic graphics instead of the real movie.

Boo hiss!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 10 Jan 2009, 03:21

Remember in the early eighties driving home from high school (an hour's drive) along the water, over hilly and foggy roads....with a slight to moderate buzz...yeah I was 17 and I figured this song out...grea stuff none the less.....but it's One of These Days that truly kicks ass on this album.
the Eagles suck.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 10 Jan 2009, 05:58

Whoops -- wrong thread

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”