Heaven & Hell vs Blizzard of Ozz

Do talk back
Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Heaven & Hell vs Blizzard of Ozz

Postby Shagger Dave » 09 Jan 2009, 03:14

Where do you fall?

Personally, I rate "Heaven And Hell" higher. Better vocalist (in a technical sense), a tighter and more muscular rhythm section, and just a more vital sound. I love both records, and Randy Rhodes could shred more than Iommi but the Sabs win in the end.

Discuss
He tries.

Jeff K
The Original K

Re: Heaven & Hell vs Blizzard of Ozz

Postby Jeff K » 09 Jan 2009, 03:19

I was into my B-52's obsession at the time and didn't really take notice to either album.

Keep trying Dave. One of these days we'll discuss the merits of Ronnie James Dio. I'm sure of it.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 09 Jan 2009, 03:23

Jeff K wrote:I was into my B-52's obsession at the time and didn't really take notice to either album.

I may have had a mullet but you were gay.
He tries.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 09 Jan 2009, 04:06

Blizzard, man!

Fuck kinda question is that?

der nister

Postby der nister » 09 Jan 2009, 04:07

I think it was a matter of having hope for both. Blizzard was only available as an import initially, so it seemed exotic, almost a secret for first year, then saturation. On the other hand, It wAS great to hear Sabbath reinvigorated, tight and heavy.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 09 Jan 2009, 09:25

Blizzard all the way, on paper it ought to be Heaven and Hell, but Blizzard is close to the spirit of NWOBHM and its stood up much better over time. I don't know/Crazy Train/Suicide Solution and Steal Away are balls out, theres no way Ozzy could have produced that sort of material in Sabbath. Its also the album that the world got to hear of Randy Rhodes, if you read guitar mags you'll know how highly the 2 albums he did with Ozzy are rated, as we aren't allowed to talk about guitarists I'll shut it, but needless to say - guitar wise this album smokes, its up there with Van Halen 1 in the list of albums that changed guitar playing in guitar shops around the world.

The sabbath album sounds good but RJD superimposed too much of his personality on it and it became less Sabbath - more Rainbow.
angering the feeble

Jon K

Postby Jon K » 09 Jan 2009, 09:28

Well personally I like both and one thing is for certain is that neither sounded anything like the Ozzy led Black Sabbath and the previous album the band had recorded(Never Say Die)

Blizzard of Oz was way more sophisticated than Never Say Die or even the Ozzy period of Sabbath and of course Heaven and Hell was a completely different kettle of Fish with the inclusion of Ronnie James Dio.

Both are great albums and I saw both bands live within a few months of each other and both were excellent. I do believe that it was a new start for both parties and a change that served them both well :D

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 09 Jan 2009, 10:23

Jon K wrote:Well personally I like both and one thing is for certain is that neither sounded anything like the Ozzy led Black Sabbath and the previous album the band had recorded(Never Say Die)
Blizzard of Oz was way more sophisticated than Never Say Die or even the Ozzy period of Sabbath and of course Heaven and Hell was a completely different kettle of Fish with the inclusion of Ronnie James Dio.

Nah, I disagree.

Blizzard of Oz IS Never Say Die part two, while Heaven and Hell is Rainbow Rising part two.

No competition as far as I'm concerned.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Rinstead

Postby Rinstead » 09 Jan 2009, 11:05

I adored them both when they came out. In retrospect I can't think of any other band split that produced such strong sounding albums that are so consistent.
I thought that Randy Rhoads was breathtaking at the time, and he really hit the spot with the classical influence in metal. So much more depth than everybody else who was trying that, such as Yngwie and the other widdlers.

Now though, of the two, Heaven and Hell is the only one I'd still listen to all the way through. In fact I had it on in the car a couple of months back and enjoyed myself immensely, singing along badly at the top of my voice. It seems to have a denser production that sounds more current, and more drama, even if it is a bit more poncy than Blizzard.
I don't really regard either as really being Sabbath though.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 09 Jan 2009, 16:01

The Slider wrote:
Blizzard of Oz IS Never Say Die part two,

Randy Rhodes makes BoO much more than Never Say Die.
You can almost hear Ozzys career wake up.
The "Tribute" live album is great.

That said, H&H is a great album, its just not a great Sabbath album.............
Bless the weather.......Image

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 09 Jan 2009, 16:12

I'll take the Oz.

I saw him on the tour that followed the album, and it was one of the best heavy rock shows I ever saw. A great show, in fact. Randy Rhodes was truly a guitar ace (who could play like a motherfucker, but had excellent taste and instincts that many "shredders" lack).

Ozzy had midgets in monk's cowells dumping raw meat on the crowd and a keyboard player so ugly he was partially hidden in a complex gothic stage set. Those were the days!

Heaven And Hell is a good enough metal album, but by that time, all the "sabbathness" had gone from the band.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 09 Jan 2009, 16:38

king feeb wrote:I'll take the Oz.

I saw him on the tour that followed the album, and it was one of the best heavy rock shows I ever saw. A great show, in fact. Randy Rhodes was truly a guitar ace (who could play like a motherfucker, but had excellent taste and instincts that many "shredders" lack).

Ozzy had midgets in monk's cowells dumping raw meat on the crowd and a keyboard player so ugly he was partially hidden in a complex gothic stage set. Those were the days!

Heaven And Hell is a good enough metal album, but by that time, all the "sabbathness" had gone from the band.

Since the Feeb said he saw the Blizzard of Ozz tour and gave it a thumbs up, I might as well fess up and admit to seeing Ozzy during this time also. And it was a fantastic show.

There you go, Shagger. I came clean. Hopefully my masculinity has been restored.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 09 Jan 2009, 17:18

Jeff K wrote:
Since the Feeb said he saw the Blizzard of Ozz tour and gave it a thumbs up, I might as well fess up and admit to seeing Ozzy during this time also. And it was a fantastic show.

theres nothing wrong with metal at that time - I saw UFO, Ozzy and AC/DC within about 2 weeks of each other back then at Sheffield City Hall. AC/DC were the most memorable, packed house, Back In Black tour, so the last time they played small venues - an associate of mine got on the stage and trampled Angus and cut that one a short, the prat - he was well popular after the gig.
angering the feeble

the hesitant weasel

Postby the hesitant weasel » 09 Jan 2009, 17:25

I too saw both Albums in the live arena and was blown away - Blizzard is raw emotion and superb fretwork and the sabbath album is pure classic rock,but the best track as got to be 'Neon Knights' - even 'Mr Crowley' pales against it................

Did anyone go to the Liverpool Royal Court Ozzy gig? Randy hit the first note and the power completely gave out :)
' Tweaking the nose of pomposity since 1964'

my blog site: http://thequestforthegarstonkillerwhale.blogspot.com

di Maio
Location: Down in Dixieland loudly playing a silver fiddle, minding the Man

Postby di Maio » 10 Jan 2009, 01:01

Kinkhurt wrote:Blizzard all the way, on paper it ought to be Heaven and Hell, but Blizzard is close to the spirit of NKOTB and its stood up much better over time.

:shock:

nomthebomb

Postby nomthebomb » 10 Jan 2009, 01:07

How can one possibly choose !!!

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 10 Jan 2009, 04:06

Now it seems a fairly common criticism of heaven & Hell is that "its not sabbath". Yes, the recrafted their style but they had to- could you picture them keeping the same style from the first three records with some one else? It would have been dreadful. They risked it and it paid off.
He tries.

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 Nov 2020, 23:16

One has Dio.

The other doesn't

One has Iommi.

The other doesn't

One has Neon Lights

The other doesn't

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Nov 2020, 23:51

C wrote:One has Dio.

The other doesn't

Blizzard it is, then!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Nov 2020, 05:33

I love Ozzy era Sabbath, but don't really care for Ozzy solo at all,
I'm indifferent at best to Dio era Sabbath, but I quite like Dio.

So, neither.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Yakety Yak”