What do we think of: 'The Notorious Byrd Brothers'?

Do talk back
Molony

What do we think of: 'The Notorious Byrd Brothers'?

Postby Molony » 06 Jan 2009, 19:00

I can't pretend to have heard all of the albums from The Byrds, but of the ones I have, this is the standout. It has some groovy, far out touches, but overall it is a gentle, thoughtful album full of strong tunes which get under your skin. Just been reading about it too, and they say that it was the last album created by the original line-up. What do you make of it then?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: What do we think of: 'The Notorious Byrd Brothers'?

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jan 2009, 19:13

One of the best of the decade and it flows like wine.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 06 Jan 2009, 19:15

An album much discussed on here over the years and one which always divides opinion quite sharply. For me it's still one of the most satisfying albums of the sixties, one can carp about the strength of the sounds but its all about the sound they achieve on this one: those warm, honeyed textures and harmonies. It's one of the most coherent things they did where the record really seems to maintain a continuity of sound and tone, oddly perhaps given the fractious circumstances within the band at the time.
Last edited by The Modernist on 06 Jan 2009, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Jan 2009, 19:16

I always liked it. I think Christgau has decided it's the best Byrds album bar none. I don't really agree but I think the horse brought a nice quality to the band. too bad he or she didn't stay on.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 06 Jan 2009, 19:27

It's a superb album and 'Draft Morning' is an exemplary psych-pop song.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 06 Jan 2009, 19:54

Yes, it is magnificent, but I will admit that I only got into this album when it was remastered for CD. What struck me most, was the seemingly crazy decision to veto Triad, which, to my ears, is just about a perfect song.

Oscar52
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar52 » 06 Jan 2009, 19:55

We think it's like every other Byrds album in that it has some of the best music from the 20th century but it doesn't have consistency.

Molony

Postby Molony » 06 Jan 2009, 19:58

The Rokster wrote:Yes, it is magnificent, but I will admit that I only got into this album when it was remastered for CD. What struck me most, was the seemingly crazy decision to veto Triad, which, to my ears, is just about a perfect song.

Yeah, I can't understand why that was left off the album.

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Jan 2009, 20:00

Molony wrote:Image

For me, their best

slightbreeze wrote:Some excellent tracks to honest, but 20 tracks on each disc? A true progger goes cold if there are more than 3

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Jan 2009, 20:16

Molony wrote:
The Rokster wrote:Yes, it is magnificent, but I will admit that I only got into this album when it was remastered for CD. What struck me most, was the seemingly crazy decision to veto Triad, which, to my ears, is just about a perfect song.

Maybe you guys should listen to the lyrics.
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

Molony

Postby Molony » 06 Jan 2009, 20:17

It's about a threesome yeah? Well, it was the Sixties...

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 06 Jan 2009, 20:22

It's a great album. The last really satisfying Byrds record. From here on in you need to cherry-pick to one extent or another.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 06 Jan 2009, 20:23

I love it. It has been played often in the pillowzmobile.
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Jan 2009, 20:27

Molony wrote:It's about a threesome yeah? Well, it was the Sixties...

Yeah, but it's the way it's about a threesome that's creepy. It's not just an invitation for some fun in the sack, but rather a proposal for what's essentially bigamy.

And it's just so self-serving that of course the proposed three-way consists of the Croz and two chicks (rather than the Croz and a chick and another guy), and that his enticement suggests some kind courageous moral decision to cast off the shackles of their parent's generation and really get free to bask in this groovy relationship where the Croz gets two old ladies and each of them gets half a Croz. :roll:

Call me old-fashioned, but it's just a pervy come-on.
Last edited by Snarfyguy on 06 Jan 2009, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Jan 2009, 20:28

don't lay your hang-ups on me, man!!!!

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 06 Jan 2009, 20:35

Snarfyguy wrote:

Yeah, but it's the way it's about a threesome that's creepy. It's not just an invitation for some fun in the sack, but rather a proposal for what's essentially bigamy.

And it's just so self-serving that of course the proposed three-way consists of the Croz and two chicks (rather than the Croz and a chick and another guy), and that his enticement suggests some kind courageous moral decision to cast off the shackles of their parent's generation and really get free to bask in this groovy relationship where the Croz gets two old ladies and each of them gets half a Croz. :roll:

Bigamy: do you see the male character as married then? I never did.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 06 Jan 2009, 20:43

Molony wrote:

Besides just the song itself (see Snarfyguy's somment), I'm sure there were also just personal reasons. From all accounts, even Cros's own I think, he was a complete prick at the time, so him coming around with this song -- which he just insists has to go on there, like he's John Lennon or something -- which is kind of an ego trip rather than a Byrds-y textural thing like the other songs, I can see why they canned it.

The album is great as it is. More than any of the others, I feel it's a collection of one little perfect recorded jewel after another. The other albums sound more like a band playing, esp. Fifth Dimension, their most confused record.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Jan 2009, 20:51

The Rokster wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

Bigamy: do you see the male character as married then? I never did.

Not as such, but in effect, which is why I modified the word with 'essentially'. Maybe I should have said polygamy instead, but in any event it seems to me to be an invitation to enter into a somewhat more than casual domestic relationship. Nobody got married back then anyway.

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 06 Jan 2009, 20:53

Quaco wrote:
Molony wrote:

Besides just the song itself (see Snarfyguy's somment), I'm sure there were also just personal reasons. From all accounts, even Cros's own I think, he was a complete prick at the time, so him coming around with this song -- which he just insists has to go on there, like he's John Lennon or something -- which is kind of an ego trip rather than a Byrds-y textural thing like the other songs, I can see why they canned it.

The album is great as it is. More than any of the others, I feel it's a collection of one little perfect recorded jewel after another. The other albums sound more like a band playing, esp. Fifth Dimension, their most confused record.

Plus, the visual image of Crosby having sex probably caused everyone to run screaming.
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 06 Jan 2009, 20:54

Was "Triad" before Crosby hooked up with Christine Hinton, who apparently was the love of his life but sadly was killed in an auto accident? Was he talking about sharing her, or was this two other girls? I don't know why I care, I just know people suddenly get more monogamous when they find "the one"!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Yakety Yak”