I am Mick Jagger
No votes
I just want cake
10%

Total votes: 10

charliebigpotatoes

Re: Q magazine

Postby charliebigpotatoes » 07 Jan 2009, 13:56

I always say im not buying Mojo anymore and always end up caving in. They need to give the obvious stuff a miss for a while though. The standard of the writing has definitely fallen off since its mid-90s heyday for sure. I have the impression there used to be quite a lot more original stuff in there and now it feels like excerpts from already available books. The problem Q had was that when i first started reading it around 90-92 was that it held the ground Mojo occupies now. Mojo came along a couple of years later and initially was much more left-field(if still backward looking)than now and kind of muscled in on Q's patch in a more in depth way. Q responded by going kind of middle of the road/coffee table/populist yet mature and i stopped buying it because i f-ing hate REM and Coldplay. I still have not looked at the new format but am tempted by whats been said here. I usually find The Word a decent read but the recent Prog article was a sneering piece of shit straight from the NME back-catalogue. It was as if they were recognising that people are interested in this music and catering for their tastes so as to sell magazines while at the same time covering their hip credentials by making as many snide comments as possible. As such i am now boycotting its ass.
Uncut is unmitigated shite. Pompous in the extreme and bizarrely infatuated with snoozeville modern Americana.
Third,
Third and bird,
Just across the street, where the birdies meet,
Going 'deet, deet, deet'
Third, third, third, third and bird.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 07 Jan 2009, 13:58

johnnydefault wrote:Is there genuinely a music mag out there that you can trust with your pennies - to guide you through their review section to music you would genuinely like and keep you clear of stuff that you should avoid.

For me, not since Option.
But I suspect it's me that changed.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 07 Jan 2009, 13:59

Goat Boy wrote:Perhaps it's a cultural shift. We seem keen to find something worthwile in everything these days. I dunno, fear of offending people or something. :?

Writers trying to make a name for themselves and ear of offending the record companies, being cut off from the play copies and other swag.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Return to “Yakety Yak”