Do talk back
Rayge

Re: name a respected artist...

Postby Rayge » 16 Aug 2017, 11:18

Tactful Cactus wrote:
THE FILING FEE wrote:
Rayge wrote:Hoorah!
funk = soul - heart

I like a bit of funk, but this does make some sense.

I wonder does a dislike of funk correlate with an unwillingness to move your body. Its dance music, first and foremost.

I liked to listen to music rather than dance to it, it's true, but it's not an unwillingness to move my body, I just don't need a strict tempo fascist groove thang :)

I don't necessarily dislike all funk on principle, anyway; my gripe has always been calling that stuff soul music, which meant something quite specific to me.

I'm going to have to duck out of the conversation too, to walk the dog, but will return
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 16 Aug 2017, 11:37

K wrote:It's how the samples are used. There's a massive difference between the Bomb Squad cut up nature of sampling compared to, say, P Diddy just using the Police track wholesale.

Mixed messages here. Are you and GB saying that TPAB is disappointing because KL didn't have the freedom to use samples liberally? And buying studio time, musicians and producers was a disappointing compromise compared to what could have been?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Aug 2017, 11:52

Rayge wrote:
I'm going to have to duck out of the conversation too, to walk the dog, but will return

So Rufus Thomas is alright then?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Aug 2017, 11:54

And the question remains, why does Kendrick have to be funky?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Aug 2017, 11:55

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:

Not as good as Rick Dees.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Aug 2017, 11:57

Tactful Cactus wrote:
K wrote:It's how the samples are used. There's a massive difference between the Bomb Squad cut up nature of sampling compared to, say, P Diddy just using the Police track wholesale.

Mixed messages here. Are you and GB saying that TPAB is disappointing because KL didn't have the freedom to use samples liberally? And buying studio time, musicians and producers was a disappointing compromise compared to what could have been?

Can't speak for K, but my argument - or problem if you want to see it like that - is not nearly that sophisticated. I just don't hear anything all that remarkable in his raps and so the fulsome praise for him, consequently, just seems over the top and makes me suspicious. I don't hate him or anything, I quite like some of his stuff.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 16 Aug 2017, 12:32

The Modernist wrote:I just don't hear anything all that remarkable in his raps and so the fulsome praise for him, consequently, just seems over the top and makes me suspicious. I don't hate him or anything, I quite like some of his stuff.

Thats fair. As I said, you either like it or you don't. For what its worth I don't get any enjoyment from lyricism either. It never registers with me, whether its Kendrick or anyone. I wish it did! I feel like I'm tone deaf to so much effort and expertise. What registers for me, and whats remarkable on this album, is the music and the musicianship of his vocals. I made my case above, no need to repeat.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Aug 2017, 12:37

neville harp wrote:Funkadelic nein danke! I like the softer, smoother funk where the emphasis isn't on the beat or Roy Ayres type jazz funk. The heavier stuff is as useful to me as Metal, the odd undeniable high but mostly music for jocks (US meaning). No wonder Goat Boy's a fan.

I can deal with people accusing me of being right wing or inferring I'm a Zionist but a fucking Jock?

sacre bleu!!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Aug 2017, 12:41

Tactful Cactus wrote:

No. I'm saying that hip hop inevitably suffered when the freedom to sample beats was reduced.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Aug 2017, 14:00

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:

:D

R&B to his bones
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Aug 2017, 14:05

Radiohead.

I mean, I like some of their albums, but there are some people in my age range and generation who worship the ground they walk on. They are obviously pretty good live in some respects, yet I can never find any real node in their music to warm to. It's the sort of music that 30 year old men have epiphanies to whilst waiting at a bus stop or something to go and see their mum.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Aug 2017, 14:50

Goat Boy wrote:
neville harp wrote:Funkadelic nein danke! I like the softer, smoother funk where the emphasis isn't on the beat or Roy Ayres type jazz funk. The heavier stuff is as useful to me as Metal, the odd undeniable high but mostly music for jocks (US meaning). No wonder Goat Boy's a fan.

I can deal with people accusing me of being right wing or inferring I'm a Zionist but a fucking Jock?

sacre bleu!!

I'll update my bookmarks :oops:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Aug 2017, 14:58

Toby wrote:Radiohead.

I mean, I like some of their albums, but there are some people in my age range and generation who worship the ground they walk on. They are obviously pretty good live in some respects, yet I can never find any real node in their music to warm to. It's the sort of music that 30 year old men have epiphanies to

Yeah! MEN! And their music!
Guys huh!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 16 Aug 2017, 18:09

Goat Boy wrote:

sacre bleu!!

You get cheerleaders
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Aug 2017, 18:44

Toby wrote:Radiohead.

I mean, I like some of their albums, but there are some people in my age range and generation who worship the ground they walk on. They are obviously pretty good live in some respects, yet I can never find any real node in their music to warm to. It's the sort of music that 30 year old men have epiphanies to whilst waiting at a bus stop or something to go and see their mum.

I do get all the praise in a way. There's a sophistication and musicality to them which does mark them out from their peers. Furthermore there's an ambition to the way they've approached their career - risk-taking, the desire to make their albums real statements - that recalls all the classic canon artists. They haven't been nearly as innovative as those artists, they came too late in the day for that, but you can understand why they've been put in the same ballpark.
I don't like them myself mind you. :lol:

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Aug 2017, 18:49

I think that Radiohead have had an incredible career and that they are as inventive, ambitious, meaningful and absorbing as any act in history, but I can totally get people thinking they sound too moany.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Aug 2017, 21:53

There's a surly, entitled, Dave Gorman-like smugness to Yorke, his art springing from misanthropy like his hero Morrissey. The bits and bobs I've heard makes me believe that all that Penk says is true but it's not my bag. Johnny Greenwood's orch work is fine though, especially There Will Be Blood.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 21 Feb 2018, 21:10

Kendrick on fire tonight.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 Feb 2018, 21:14

just when it was going so well...
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 21 Feb 2018, 22:31

Jeff K wrote:
solarskope wrote:
Jeff K wrote:Aretha Franklin.

I still think all those that claim to admire her so much don't really listen to her often. They just pretend they do .

the BCB soul cognoscenti will be coming down on you like a ton of bricks.

watch your back.

One person's queen of soul can be another person's bellowing windbag.

Nobody mentioned Mariah Carey.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”