Camper Van Beethoven vs Half Man Half Biscuit

Do talk back
Piet

Camper Van Beethoven vs Half Man Half Biscuit

Postby Piet » 02 Jan 2009, 15:28

Last Summer some of you were very kind in pointing me in the right direction to start a collection of HMHB albums. Thanks to you all - I've picked up the four that were recommended.

Perusing an old edition of The Virgin Encylopædia of Popular Music earlier today, I came across the listing for CVB. A modest circa 500 word entry about this "witty, often sarcastic garage rock band formed in Redlands, Ca in 1983". Sadly there is little information about the merits, or otherwise, of each of the half dozen or so original works twixt '86 and '89 apart from star ratings.

How do they measure up with HMHB? I'm assuming they were a major influence on the lads from the Wirral.
Any recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

McBastard

Re: Camper Van Beethoven vs Half Man Half Biscuit

Postby McBastard » 02 Jan 2009, 15:33

I don't know much about Camper Van Beethoven, but I'm pretty sure they had no influence on Half Man Half Biscuit whatsoever.
May the Lord have mercy on Stringy Bob

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 02 Jan 2009, 15:42

Get the Santa Cruz Years box set - which is the first 4 lp's. Their recreation of Tusk is better than the original :D ;)
Also check out Lowery's other band Cracker, better IMO - The self-titled debut is smart and the next, Kerosene Hat is a classic. 2006's Greenland is also worth a punt.
There is lots to investigate. Bugger all to do with HMHB though.

Piet

Postby Piet » 02 Jan 2009, 15:56

Thanks for that.

Return to “Yakety Yak”