43%
Pink Moon
25%

Total votes: 51

Bungo the Mungo

best Nick Drake album

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 02 Jan 2009, 00:39

I'm taking the plunge.

Yes, I know they're all different and it's impossible to choose just one and you really need to hear them all blah blah blah

Vote for one anyway, and explain why, if you could.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Re: best Nick Drake album

Postby Matty Red Sox » 02 Jan 2009, 00:40

None of the above. Seriously, this is an artist that gets on my nerves as much as the fucking Eagles. Try again John.
the Eagles suck.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 02 Jan 2009, 00:42

The cool, edgy pick is Pink Moon.
The beardy muso pick is Five Leaves Left.
The populist, boring and above all honest pick is Bryter Layter. It's a wonderful album, with fine songs splendidly arranged and lovingly played, while its predecessor errs on the dull side at times and Pink Moon's sparseness is often mere thinness. That's not to say I don't like all of them, but the general consensus ought to point you in the right direction here.
Last edited by Penk! on 02 Jan 2009, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 02 Jan 2009, 00:43

Matty Red Sox wrote:None of the above. Seriously, this is an artist that gets on my nerves as much as the fucking Eagles. Try again John.

He's way better than the Eagles, so you only have yourself to blame.
The board, over time, or maybe it was Slider. Anyway, I'm convinced. It's Bryter Layter.
I wouldn't be without any of 'em, though.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 02 Jan 2009, 01:10

Stille Baron wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:None of the above. Seriously, this is an artist that gets on my nerves as much as the fucking Eagles. Try again John.

He's way better than the Eagles, so you only have yourself to blame.
The board, over time, or maybe it was Slider. Anyway, I'm convinced. It's Bryter Layter.
I wouldn't be without any of 'em, though.

Meh...only myself to blame...I didn't write this treacle. He really bores the shit out of me, and I have a lot more tolerance than many here. Gimme Digable Planets and NWA any day!
the Eagles suck.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Jan 2009, 02:05

It's Five Leaves Left.

It's true that they're all great, but I can do without the instrumentals (and "Poor Boy") on Bryter Layter and Pink Moon, as great and haunting as it is, has always felt more like a set of demos than a realized album. Plus the orchestral arrangements, particularly those of Drake's Cambridge friend Richard Kirby, are gorgeous.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Jan 2009, 02:20

Bryter Layter for me, too. Penk's basically got it (although I wouldn't call Pink Moon "thin"). I'll add that it's a much more mature work lyrically than Five Leaves Left. And I love the instrumentals (and, heaven knows, "Poor Boy").

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 02 Jan 2009, 02:27

Bryter Lyter. Gorgeous, but like the baron, I couldn't be without any of them.
He tries.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 02 Jan 2009, 02:39

I think it's the one that you are listening to at the time you think about this question...

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Jan 2009, 02:43

Pink Moon for me - and I suspect it is the one with the best shot at making an impact on you John.

As strong as the arrangements are on the other albums, I can't imagine they are going to impress you any. Might as well go for the one that makes the case for him unadorned.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 02 Jan 2009, 02:46

Sir John Coan wrote:I'm taking the plunge.

Why now? If you didn't like him before what makes you think you'll change your opinion? I think you're caving in to the almighty BCB canon. :(
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 02 Jan 2009, 02:54

Jeff K wrote:

Why now? If you didn't like him before what makes you think you'll change your opinion? I think you're caving in to the almighty BCB canon. :(

Baaa baaa baaa Coan may be a black sheep, but he's still a sheep....baaaa baaaa baaaaa....I'll not cave to Nick Drake. Ever. :lol:
the Eagles suck.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 02 Jan 2009, 03:49

Matty Red Sox wrote:I'll not cave to Nick Drake. Ever. :lol:

But will you drake to Nick Cave?
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 02 Jan 2009, 04:37

Pink Moon, strictly because I think Drake is a bore and this is the least boring of his albums, and it's not hamstrung by instrumental arrangements that have dated poorly. I'm perhaps not as resistant to Drake's charms as what Mr Red Sox seems to be, but I do think he's massively overrated.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 02 Jan 2009, 08:49

Jeff K wrote:

Remember our whinging a few months ago, Jeff? that we've run out of stuff to listen to? I need something 'new'.

I haven't actually heard much Nick Drake - I don't even think I've heard one song all the way through.

I like melodic music more and more, the older I get. I'm guessing this fella dishes up the goods from time to time. His melancholy will serve as a suitable soundtrack for my life in 2009. :(

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 02 Jan 2009, 09:20

penk! wrote:The cool, edgy pick is Pink Moon.
The beardy muso pick is Five Leaves Left.
The populist, boring and above all honest pick is Bryter Layter.

And I don't even have a beard!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 02 Jan 2009, 09:27

Davey the Jolly Fat Man wrote:Pink Moon for me - and I suspect it is the one with the best shot at making an impact on you John.

As strong as the arrangements are on the other albums, I can't imagine they are going to impress you any. Might as well go for the one that makes the case for him unadorned.

I'm with the fat man.

in a purely platonic sense of course.

purgatory brite

Postby purgatory brite » 02 Jan 2009, 10:10

Bryter Layter

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 02 Jan 2009, 10:25

You can get them all pretty cheap these days, otherwise Id say start
with this excellent comp;

You could do worse than get them in chronological order.
Five Leaves Left is a great introduction-full of the flavour of Drake.The voice and the subtle guitar work.
Bryter Later is both brighter, and later, and has the iconic "Northern Sky", and I quite like the more upbeat flavour-shows he could do both moods.
Pink Moon is very stark and bleak, but its the album that will grow on you the most once you have digested the other two.

Harshly, you might say that Drake had the perfect career.Three seminal albums, a bit more in the locker for the enthusiasts to discover later, and an early death before he made a clunker to taint the myth.
Bless the weather.......Image

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 02 Jan 2009, 10:26

bryter layter is spoilt horribly, by 'poor boy', which is actually something of a BCB fave. make of that what you will.

i really like the compilation 'time of no reply', which was part of the fruit tree boxset. not sure if it's available to buy separately?

Return to “Yakety Yak”