Forthcoming Releases 2009

Do talk back
Jeff K
The Original K

Re: Forthcoming Releases 2009

Postby Jeff K » 02 Jan 2009, 00:00

Mspecktor wrote:I didn't like the last one, myself. Truthfully, I've found all their releases to this point frustratingly patchy. Even "Person Pitch," which came closest, has its longeurs. But this is their best record by a mile, and really the one that explains this band to me. I'm sure it will do the same for many people (though I'm sure there are others who'll still find them various degrees of irritating). I think the whole thing is pretty amazing, but "Also Frightened," "Summertime Clothes" and "No More Running" are current highlights. I think those songs are about as marvelous as psychedelic pop ever gets. Highlights not just of next year, but of the decade.

Jesus Matt! Are you trying to make an Animal Collective fan out of me? I know you're not prone to hyperbole so you got my attention on this one.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

This Here Dream Machine

Postby This Here Dream Machine » 02 Jan 2009, 02:26

Jeff K wrote:
Mspecktor wrote:I didn't like the last one, myself. Truthfully, I've found all their releases to this point frustratingly patchy. Even "Person Pitch," which came closest, has its longeurs. But this is their best record by a mile, and really the one that explains this band to me. I'm sure it will do the same for many people (though I'm sure there are others who'll still find them various degrees of irritating). I think the whole thing is pretty amazing, but "Also Frightened," "Summertime Clothes" and "No More Running" are current highlights. I think those songs are about as marvelous as psychedelic pop ever gets. Highlights not just of next year, but of the decade.

Jesus Matt! Are you trying to make an Animal Collective fan out of me? I know you're not prone to hyperbole so you got my attention on this one.

Y'know, I'd prefer not to resort to hyperbole. Especially since this is a record, like so many excellent records, that many people won't feel at all. It's an Animal Collective record. Lots of folks who don't like AC will continue as such. But it strikes me as a watershed record of some kind, like Loveless (which a lot of people don't get) and also one that should appeal to people who love Tusk, or The Beach Boys, or lots of other things that excite people around here. I think it's great. I think Person Pitch sort of gestures towards this record, but this is better. I'm not sure it mightn't be a little west coast for you, though.
"First Sex Pistols song I ever heard? I guess 'Hot Cars'..."

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 02 Jan 2009, 02:37

Mspecktor wrote:I'm not sure it mightn't be a little west coast for you, though.

I better proceed with caution then. Thanks for the warning!
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Spec

Postby Spec » 02 Jan 2009, 13:33

I'm excited about the Animal Collective too. I liked Feels and Sung Tongs. Liked parts of Strawberry Jam and loved Panda Bear's album.

A friend has heard the new one and described it as the best record he has heard for 10 years and he doesn't particularly like them.

Others I am looking forward to are:

M Ward
Decemberists
Cinematic Orchestra (a friend of a friend told me they are recording but I can see nothing online to support)
Keith Jarrett
Asobi Seksu

Will be interested to see the Van Morisson live album, the Andrew Bird (I've loved moments from the last three albums but haven't enjoyed a whole album yet), and even the U2.

And interested to see "Dean & Britta: 13 Most Beautiful...Songs for Andy Warhol's Screen Tests" on the list (much as I dislike Warhol)

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 02 Jan 2009, 13:36

Spec-post-bop wrote:
Keith Jarrett

What does he have out this year? That should be interesting.

I've pre-ordered the Animal Collective - should be here next week......
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Spec

Postby Spec » 02 Jan 2009, 14:13

Balboa wrote:
Spec-post-bop wrote:
Keith Jarrett

What does he have out this year? That should be interesting.

I've pre-ordered the Animal Collective - should be here next week......

ECM are continuing to clear the vaults. They are releasing in the next couple of weeks the Standards Trio "Yesterdays" live in Japan:

“2001 was a vintage year for the Jarrett Trio, as three outstanding live albums - The Out-Of-Towners, Always Let Me Go and My Foolish Heart - have already shown. Yesterdays, recorded at Tokyo’s Metropolitan Festival Hall, is a fourth, with all-standards programme and a strong emphasis on bebop. It will be available in two versions: as single CD or double-LP with 180 gram vinyl - the first new vinyl release on ECM in 15 years.”

We can continue to hope that they finally release Munich.

Also a new Rava album out in January

Return to “Yakety Yak”