Bloody great!

What's old Terry up to these days? :?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Fun Boy Three

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Dec 2008, 16:02

Billy wrote:Bloody great!

Reforming The Specials for some big shows next year.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Billy

Postby Billy » 31 Dec 2008, 16:04

Diamond Dog wrote:

Oh yeah! Forgot about that! :oops: :lol:

Too much egg nog and greenery!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 Dec 2008, 17:04

Diamond Dog wrote:

He did an African music album a couple years ago ala Damon Albarn. It's not half bad.

At the time, I wondered why they'd covered a Go Gos song and then found out he'd originally written it with Jane Weidlin.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Obliging Fairy
former fairy

Postby The Obliging Fairy » 31 Dec 2008, 17:12

I'm pretty sure this was on one of those Friday night shows like Switch and the like after The Tube finished. I wonder if it was this one where they did this and the other song was a cover of The End by The Doors where they burned the American flag on live TV. I had it on video somewhere. It was pretty edgy stuff. Maybe they'd ran out of steam as a band by that point and that was their way out.

Great clip though, and a smart song too. I've always loved it.
my attention span, or thereabouts

The Obliging Fairy
former fairy

Postby The Obliging Fairy » 31 Dec 2008, 17:13

Diamond Dog wrote:Reforming The Specials for some big shows next year.

No Jerry Dammers though, I heard. :roll:
my attention span, or thereabouts

Spurs

Postby Spurs » 31 Dec 2008, 17:23

Funny you should mention them I have just come across them going though my vinyl today,I dind't know I had quite a few records by them, Excellent track, I've always liked what Terry Hall has done, from the early tribal stuff.

Our lips are sealed(Gatefold p/s double pack)
Our lips are sealed(Pic disc)
Summertime(p/s)
Summertime(Pic disc)
Summertime(12")
Summertime(12" white label promo in plain sleeve)
The telephone always rings(Pic disc)
The telephone always rings(12")
The lunatics have taken over the asylum(p/s)
The lunatics have taken over the asylum(12")
Waiting(Album)
The fun boy free(Album)
THE FUN BOY FREE WITH BANANARAMA
T'aint what you do(its the way that you do it)(p/s)
T'aint what you do(its the way that you do it)(12")
Really saying something(12")
THE COLOUR FIELD
Running away(p/s)
Things could be beautiful(12")
Thinking of you(p/s)
Windmills of your mind(12")
The colour field(12")
Last edited by Spurs on 31 Dec 2008, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 31 Dec 2008, 17:23

sloopjohnc wrote:
He did an African music album a couple years ago ala Damon Albarn. It's not half bad.

This?

More Arab than African and very good...
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Dec 2008, 17:24

the obliging fairy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Reforming The Specials for some big shows next year.

No Jerry Dammers though, I heard. :roll:

No, Damners said he didn't want to get involved in a big tour (or was it big venues?).
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Spurs

Postby Spurs » 31 Dec 2008, 17:27

He also did this excellent track with Tricky NEARLY GOD -TRICKY, TERRY HALL, BJORK.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 31 Dec 2008, 17:32

Waiting was one of my favourite albums of 1983, and the songs (which are mostly very mordant) remain strong. It now feels like a snapshot of Britain in the early 80s - all the uncertainty of the times is captured (particularly 'The Things We Do'). Pity they couldn't hold it together for another album.

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 Dec 2008, 18:12

sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

At the time, I wondered why they'd covered a Go Gos song and then found out he'd originally written it with Jane Weidlin.

I prefer their version of The Go Go's. I bought that album on the strength of The Specials and was surprised as well that it was a co-write.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Jan 2009, 04:03

Neige wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

This?

More Arab than African and very good...

That's the one.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sensi

Postby sensi » 01 Jan 2009, 10:16

I really loved The Specials...still do...they had the perfect mix of sounds I heard growing up in the West Midlands at that time...I just fell instantly in love with their music at 12/13 years of age.

I'm just watching clips of them on You Tube and it dawned on me that it's 30 years this year that my love affair with The Specials really came into its own...30 years...blimey...I'll be honest and say that brought tears to my eyes as I remembered back to the absolutely fantastic time I had back then.

Spurs

Postby Spurs » 01 Jan 2009, 11:22

30 Year ago only seems like yesterday when I saw "The Specials" "Madness" The Selector" on the same bill down at Brighton Top Rank on the Seaside tour those were the days don't get gigs like that anymore.Still have the big Tour Poster.

sensi

Postby sensi » 01 Jan 2009, 12:35

Sid wrote:30 Year ago only seems like yesterday when I saw "The Specials" "Madness" The Selector" on the same bill down at Brighton Top Rank on the Seaside tour those were the days don't get gigs like that anymore.Still have the big Tour Poster.

I was too young to go to gigs on my own and...as the eldest child...I had nobody to take me and all my friends were the same age as me...my mom and dad wouldn't take me either...I did get to go to a local club twice a week called The Windsor that used to hold Ska nights...not just new Ska but old Ska and Reggae and 2 Tone...I've mentioned this before...many times on here...but having somewhere like that to go was fantastic...it was full of all colours and creeds and they all wanted the music and nothing more...it was only when the skinheads turned up with their ugly swastika tattoos and racist attitudes that it turned ugly.

That's why I couldn't fully take to 'This is England'...I wanted to for the subject matter but it just wasn't like that in 1983...it was more like that in 1979...it was definitely on the wane by 1983 as far as I remember anyway.

Rory Bellows

Postby Rory Bellows » 01 Jan 2009, 13:21

Top man

I saw em when they were billed as The Coventry Specials - support to The Clash
Krusty : "But you gotta come back Mel, we're a team!"
Mel : "No, Krusty. You always treated me rather shabbily. On our last show, you poured liquid nitrogen down my pants and cracked my buttocks with a hammer."

Spurs

Postby Spurs » 01 Jan 2009, 17:02

Sensemeliawopnibop wrote:
Sid wrote:30 Year ago only seems like yesterday when I saw "The Specials" "Madness" The Selector" on the same bill down at Brighton Top Rank on the Seaside tour those were the days don't get gigs like that anymore.Still have the big Tour Poster.

I was too young to go to gigs on my own and...as the eldest child...I had nobody to take me and all my friends were the same age as me...my mom and dad wouldn't take me either...I did get to go to a local club twice a week called The Windsor that used to hold Ska nights...not just new Ska but old Ska and Reggae and 2 Tone...I've mentioned this before...many times on here...but having somewhere like that to go was fantastic...it was full of all colours and creeds and they all wanted the music and nothing more...it was only when the skinheads turned up with their ugly swastika tattoos and racist attitudes that it turned ugly.

That's why I couldn't fully take to 'This is England'...I wanted to for the subject matter but it just wasn't like that in 1983...it was more like that in 1979...it was definitely on the wane by 1983 as far as I remember anyway.

Your lucky at least you had somewhere to go, we had nothing in Crawley it was either Brighton or London, we had a youth club where a couple of so called Mod bands played ermm like one gig, it was quite a laugh on the night.I don't like that "Made In England" as you say it was nothing like that in 1983, it was more mullets and big 80's drums coming through.

Yeah Rory saw them The Coventry Special supporting the Clash at Crawely Sports centre.

Return to “Yakety Yak”