Tommy Tee RIP

Do talk back
The Obliging Fairy
former fairy

Tommy Tee RIP

Postby The Obliging Fairy » 29 Dec 2008, 16:52

Backroom boys need acknowledging too. This is edited from a Facebook tribute by Joolz.

On December 23rd, 2008, Tommy Tee, New Model Army's manager, died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack.

I had been working another gig that night. I decided to call Justin at home. Quietly, because he's a quiet man, he told me the news; the depth of sorrow in his voice was evident. Justin is, for those who don't know, Justin Sullivan, the frontman and creative force behind New Model Army, his band for thirty years. Tommy had been his manager for at least twenty of those years. Don't ask me to do the numbers, I'm useless at that; let's just say for nearly as long as New Model Army had been going, Tommy had been with them.

And the man who co-ordinated this massive, complex operation, who looked after everyone, who made sure everything was always where it should be, how it should be and on time, who paid the wages, helped with problems both business and personal, who attended to all the tiny but vital details every single day, who literally did everything - and much, much more - was Tommy Tee.

And not only did Tommy do it, he did it with a big grin and a firm handshake for all. He did it through thick and thin, bad days, good days, everything. He had no 'side' as my Nan used to say, no attitude. No job was too menial - he drove trucks, sold t-shirts and humped gear if needful. No fan was too lowly - to him all the fans were as important as the band and the crews - without all those elements there'd be no gigs and Tommy knew it. He always had time for a word and a smile, time to help and sometimes, time for a beer at the end of the day with whoever was around. Tommy was very, very far from being a push-over, but he believed in being 100% practical; none of the Diva Manager nonsense for him. For Tommy, New Model Army was the gig, not himself. He was content knowing he'd made it all possible.

You know, you don't see a manager's name in lights. So you won't see Tommy's name written in neon on some venue far away. But in the hearts of thousands of people who met him through the band his name is written in solid gold. He will live forever not just because he ran New Model Army, not because he got someone into a gig, or sold them an album. He will be remembered and mourned because he was a great bloke. A great father to his beautiful children, a great husband and yeah - a really great human being.

And you know what? How many people can honestly claim that honour?

Rest in peace, Tommy Tee. You did good. We won't see your like again.

I only saw them the once, right at the beginning practically, around the time of the first album, but I've loved that band ever since.

So rest in peace, Tommy Tee. I'd have liked to have met you.
my attention span, or thereabouts

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Tommy Tee RIP

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Dec 2008, 16:53

It's not Tommy Lee then?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

the hesitant weasel

Re: Tommy Tee RIP

Postby the hesitant weasel » 29 Dec 2008, 18:48

Walk In My Shadeaux wrote:It's not Tommy Lee then?

I'm outraged - I too thought the big shlonged tub - thumper was no more,shame on you Fairy for building festive cheer then smiting us down with tales of ex T shirt sellers :roll:
' Tweaking the nose of pomposity since 1964'

my blog site: http://thequestforthegarstonkillerwhale.blogspot.com

Return to “Yakety Yak”