Nick Cave - where to start?

Do talk back
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Nick Cave - where to start?

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 May 2017, 08:53

Velvis wrote:
Jeff K wrote:I would start with Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus. It's probably his most listenable and it's full of actual pop songs. Tender Prey is his best album but maybe not the one you'd want to start off with. After those two, I would choose The Good Son. He was really starting to mature as a songwriter with that album and it also contains The Ship Song, still his best ballad.

Yes.

Okay just picked up AB/TLOO and TP for about a fiver on Amazon!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 25 May 2017, 03:17

It's also worth considering the new anthology Lovely Creatures, which covers all of the Bad Seeds career over three discs in chronological order. It really manages to get to the heart of the man's work and doubles as a relatively accessible way to get into each stage of his career. As for me, I like enough Nick Cave plenty, in particular the Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues double, as well as Let Love In and Dig! Lazarus Dig! but I'm probably just as likely to play the feral and fervent Birthday Party, which are abrasive in the best sense of the word.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 25 May 2017, 07:40

Diamond Dog wrote:
Velvis wrote:
Jeff K wrote:I would start with Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus. It's probably his most listenable and it's full of actual pop songs. Tender Prey is his best album but maybe not the one you'd want to start off with. After those two, I would choose The Good Son. He was really starting to mature as a songwriter with that album and it also contains The Ship Song, still his best ballad.

Yes.

You should have waited a few more years to drop down to 3 quid again.
I run out of talent

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 May 2017, 07:48

WG Kaspar wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Velvis wrote:
Yes.

...for the pair Theo, for the pair!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 25 May 2017, 08:05

Diamond Dog wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

...for the pair Theo, for the pair!

Oh I see. Apologies Pete!
I run out of talent

NMB

Postby NMB » 25 May 2017, 08:51

I've had AB/TLOO for at least 7 years (since before I started documenting my purchases) and it's still sitting sealed on the shelf. I'll get around to playing it one day.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 May 2017, 09:03

NMB wrote:I've had AB/TLOO for at least 7 years (since before I started documenting my purchases) and it's still sitting sealed on the shelf. I'll get around to playing it one day.

It's not really worth the effort, I think it's probably the most boring set of songs he's recorded.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 25 May 2017, 14:20

NMB wrote:I've had AB/TLOO for at least 7 years (since before I started documenting my purchases) and it's still sitting sealed on the shelf. I'll get around to playing it one day.

I have that album as well, but haven't ventured into listening to it. Part of me is curious as how Nick Cave handles a double album, but another part of me worries that it'll suffer from dullness.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

HarryIrene

Postby HarryIrene » 31 May 2017, 13:18

AB/TLOO has no dullness, despite its length. Its predecessor 'Nocturama' can justly be accused of said dullness; as there were some pretty lacklustre songs contained therein. An underwhelming end to Blixa Bargeld's tenure in the band; despite a couple of very good songs amongst the filler. AB/TLOO sounds like a completely rejuvenated band and Cave's writing was back to its best. Hide It Away, Easy Money and Messiah Ward are worth the £5 alone. There is very little subpar songs on either disc. Mick Harvey should have bowed out on this high note as it is much better than the patchy DLG which followed on from this and was a bit too close to Grinderman in places.
Nothing To See Here. Move Right Along

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 03 Jun 2017, 04:48

To me NIck has been hit or miss. More of best of for me. ALthough the years 86-99 were his best.
Still he is good live and his new album is okay (very real) just saw him the other night.

He was in my face. :lol:
Last edited by Hightea on 03 Jun 2017, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 03 Jun 2017, 05:55

I really like the man. He's about the only person making music these days that I can say that about.

I'm not even that arsed about his stuff - altho' there are a handful of good songs.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

quix

Postby quix » 03 Sep 2017, 23:16

I couldn't think where to tell someone to start with Nick Cave... I came to him very late myself only about 7 years ago. There's so much to chose from... romantic and heartbreaking ballads, raucous crashing noise, comedy... there's something different at every turn in every album. Pick an album and if you don't like it, try another as it could be quite different.

I'm back on Dig Lazarus Dig at the moment. And I'm off to see him in a couple of weeks in Bournemouth for the first night of his new tour but I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to Skeleton Tree yet.. although I did see the film...

He's incredible to see live. A real show man.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 06 Sep 2017, 13:58

For those who are still looking for where to start, there's this for £5.99 at the moment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lovely-Creatur ... sdewidg-21
Give a shit or be a shit.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 06 Sep 2017, 16:23

Where to start? By looking for melody and more than two chords for a start

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 22 Sep 2017, 18:18

slightbreeze wrote:Where to start? By looking for melody and more than two chords for a start

Ho ho ho.

Nick turns 60 today. And he's on tour, I think.

God bless him.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 23 Sep 2017, 10:10

A good way to start, if he's touring your parts, is to see him live. His performances are electrifying and the band in itself is brilliant.
king of the divan

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 23 Sep 2017, 13:23

Darryl Strawberry wrote:Yes. He's playing Manchester Arena which is a shame. I'd go to the Apollo, which is where I saw him last time.

We saw him at the Apollo too a few years ago. Not sure about the Arena either but have tickets for Monday.

quix

Postby quix » 23 Sep 2017, 18:59

I'm off to see him tomorrow night. First night of the tour. I'm not thrilled with Skeleton Tree... I've only made it to track four each time I've listened to it and I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a place to start. Hopefully he'll mix it up with previous material...

quix

Postby quix » 25 Sep 2017, 10:47

It was stunning. Absolutely stunning.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 25 Sep 2017, 11:06

Yeah?

I've been looking at European dates...

Return to “Yakety Yak”