Fleet Foxes
79%
Bon Iver
21%

Total votes: 19

Duncan

Re: Fleet Foxes V Bon Iver

Postby Duncan » 22 Dec 2008, 14:52

I haven't heard the Fleet Foxes album but I can't imagine that it can be any more dreary than Bon Ivor.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 22 Dec 2008, 14:57

CHRISTMAS. wrote:
reindeer ciRcLing london wrote:All this talk about staying power - why is the assumption that the record and not the listener is to blame?

I don't really see how the listener could be to blame. Unless they had a very short attention span, in which case they would be levelling the same accusation at every record they heard.

Personally, I have records I've been listening to for twenty years which still give me pleasure. I imagine For Emma, Forever Ago will not be such a record because I consider it to be too insubstantial to provide long term nourishment.

Word.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 22 Dec 2008, 18:28

Walk In My Shadeaux wrote:I bought the Bon Iver all on my own but you bastards made me buy the Fleet Foxes. :(

Both suck tremendously.

I'll give you £5 for Fleet Foxes.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 22 Dec 2008, 18:54

the three masked men wrote:I've heard tracks from both and they frankly make me despair at the state of modern music. We seem to be back in 1972, with all the excitement being drained out of rock 'n' roll again. It's...pretty enough, I suppose. But I don't want pretty. I want something that drags me through the darkest cellars of my soul, and makes me want to glide screaming across the alkali flats (cont. p97)...

I'm in a bad mood because I've just listened to Guy Garvey's radio show and he has played the most miserable selection of anaemic shite you'll ever encounter (including a Fleet Foxes track that made Nick Drake sound like Napalm Death). OK,It wasn't all completely terrible (and I like Elbow), but hearing lifeless track after lifeless track made me wonder if this person likes anything upbeat at all. Are his shows always like that?

I'm fed up with modesty and 'good taste' - I want excess!...

The irony of it is, you would have at least gotten some in 1972!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 22 Dec 2008, 19:46

Sgt Pepper wrote:I haven't heard the Fleet Foxes album but I can't imagine that it can be any more dreary than Bon Ivor.

It isn't. I'm heartened by the mild backlash against these worthy but ever-so-dull types on this thread. The Fleet Foxes LP is decent enough - good, actually - but hardly epoch shattering. The Bon Iver is a tepid listen. I find the critical salivating over these records massively perplexing, like I'm not deep enough to appreciate them or something. Glad I'm not alone.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 22 Dec 2008, 19:59

Rank Bah-humbug wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:I haven't heard the Fleet Foxes album but I can't imagine that it can be any more dreary than Bon Ivor.

It isn't. I'm heartened by the mild backlash against these worthy but ever-so-dull types on this thread. The Fleet Foxes LP is decent enough - good, actually - but hardly epoch shattering. The Bon Iver is a tepid listen. I find the critical salivating over these records massively perplexing, like I'm not deep enough to appreciate them or something. Glad I'm not alone.

You're certainly not. They're both absolute shite.

RcL

Postby RcL » 23 Dec 2008, 02:52

CHRISTMAS. wrote:
reindeer ciRcLing london wrote:All this talk about staying power - why is the assumption that the record and not the listener is to blame?

I don't really see how the listener could be to blame. Unless they had a very short attention span, in which case they would be levelling the same accusation at every record they heard.

Personally, I have records I've been listening to for twenty years which still give me pleasure. I imagine For Emma, Forever Ago will not be such a record because I consider it to be too insubstantial to provide long term nourishment.

I think it would give pleasure of the sort it affords and (perhaps) intends to those of a suitable persuasion (which has included you and me) for years to come - ie short term reward, pleasant pleasure and nothing you're going to get tattooed on your cock.

I was thinking of the Go! Team's Thunder Lightning Strike, which many round here liked a great deal, myself included, but I rarely listen to any of it now, and never all of it. Doesn't mean it's any less of an album because my attention has moved elsewhere - it would be arrogance to claim so, especially since I can't play a note of music myself.

Staying power to me means FM radio and Paul Gambaccini's thumb aloft. 'Classic' albums, people who play Meat is Murder, Nevermind or Wish You Were Here once a week instead of investigating different or new music. All that malarkey.

Django

Postby Django » 23 Dec 2008, 11:13

reindeer ciRcLing london wrote:
CHRISTMAS. wrote:

I think it would give pleasure of the sort it affords and (perhaps) intends to those of a suitable persuasion (which has included you and me) for years to come - ie short term reward, pleasant pleasure and nothing you're going to get tattooed on your cock.

I was thinking of the Go! Team's Thunder Lightning Strike, which many round here liked a great deal, myself included, but I rarely listen to any of it now, and never all of it. Doesn't mean it's any less of an album because my attention has moved elsewhere - it would be arrogance to claim so, especially since I can't play a note of music myself.

Staying power to me means FM radio and Paul Gambaccini's thumb aloft. 'Classic' albums, people who play Meat is Murder, Nevermind or Wish You Were Here once a week instead of investigating different or new music. All that malarkey.

We seem to be in almost complete agreement - the Bon Iver record is like the Go Team record in that it was enjoyable for a while, but I doubt I'll play it much in the future. I'm not sure I see your original point in all that, about the listener being to blame, but, fuck it, it's Christmas. Give us a hug.
Lid P wrote:Ozzy bit a cow in half and there was milk everywhere

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 23 Dec 2008, 14:59

I like them both, and the Vampire Weekend too. They're all fine records which I may be listening to in the future. Or I may not, that does not detract from the pleasure I got from them this year.

I have room in my life for quiet records like this. I've also enjoyed the Foals album a lot this year, and been revisiting a lot of post-punk records. I've just acquired the Opeth, so it hasn't had a proper going-over yet, but it sounds promising so far.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 27 Dec 2008, 19:22

If you like Bon Ivor, you'll love this

Fleet Foxes ended up being my favorite album of the year. Real singing, low on novelty (my wife thought it was Polyphonic Spree, minus the laugh track), and scant traces of irony. I can't believe I like something Mojo endorses.
Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
I want everybody to be free
But if you think that I’ll let Rick Santorum
Move in next door and marry my son
You must think I’m crazy!

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 27 Dec 2008, 22:58

Good to see you back Andy. I presume that is young Griffin in your avatar. He's grown hasn't he.

For the record I like both albums well enough without heaping the praise of many here upon them. For all the mythology of decamping to a cabin in the woods, he doesn't quite nail it the way say Will Oldham can.

The Fleet Foxes is good, but somehow fails to engage as you feel it should.

For the record I probably prefer the Department of Eagles album to either.
We're way past rhubarb

chunky

Postby chunky » 28 Dec 2008, 10:18

Interesting comparison in that I liked both on early plays but tired of them both with repetition. Ben Ivors may have lasted longer except that my daughters both fell on it an repeatedly played it until I felt like John Belushi in that scene in Animal House when he grabs the acoustic guitar from the guy wistfully singing whilst surrounded by admiring girls and brutally smashes it against the wall.
I'm a country member.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 31 Dec 2008, 15:30

The Fish wrote:Good to see you back Andy. I presume that is young Griffin in your avatar. He's grown hasn't he.

For the record I like both albums well enough without heaping the praise of many here upon them. For all the mythology of decamping to a cabin in the woods, he doesn't quite nail it the way say Will Oldham can.

Griff is 18 months and he's already entered the Terrible Twos. I'm not sure how or why I was blessed with this child, but he simply supersedes everything in my life. We're both growing daily.

RE: Fleet Foxes - The EP still leaves me a little flat, but the LP really grabs me now. It certainly took a while, as I approached it the old fashioned way - I bought it on CD and played it repeatedly, finding myself with melodies floating in my head throughout the day and realizing the album was gently sinking its hooks into me. I suppose I've been waiting for an album like this, and it's true that it is very 1972 (at least my wife thought it was an old album). I actually bought it because the Mojo reviewer evoked the names of Crosby and Nash and not, say, Young and Crazy Horse (which I've learned are code words for "toss another one on the Arcade Fire). There are obvious nods to The Beach Boys.

I simply like this record because the guy sings his ass off. Don't look for these moments on the first 2-3 tracks - you have to take it all in. I've heard some of the biggies of the last few years, like Iron&WillBonniePrinceBonIvorMopeyMcMopesteen, and my problem is always the dynamic range of the vocals, which looks something like this:

and even the early Elliott Smith records are like this, where it sounds like they're recording at a level that won't wake Mom. Fleet Foxes I struggle to sing along with, and that's good, because the guy opens up, much like:

I don't need any backstory - it sounds like it's recorded in a church, and though they leave some bad notes in, it sounds completely heartfelt. It's more "Wichita Lineman" than Leonard Cohen. It's ambitious and it shows real ability. I hope the hype doesn't kill 'em.

Oh, and I checked out Department of Eagles on myspace, and I'm buying that next. They sound nutty.
Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
I want everybody to be free
But if you think that I’ll let Rick Santorum
Move in next door and marry my son
You must think I’m crazy!

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

bixhenry

Postby bixhenry » 31 Dec 2008, 23:33

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
The Fish wrote:Good to see you back Andy. I presume that is young Griffin in your avatar. He's grown hasn't he.

Griff is 18 months and he's already entered the Terrible Twos. I'm not sure how or why I was blessed with this child, but he simply supersedes everything in my life. We're both growing daily.

RE: Fleet Foxes - The EP still leaves me a little flat, but the LP really grabs me now. It certainly took a while, as I approached it the old fashioned way - I bought it on CD and played it repeatedly, finding myself with melodies floating in my head throughout the day and realizing the album was gently sinking its hooks into me. I suppose I've been waiting for an album like this, and it's true that it is very 1972 (at least my wife thought it was an old album). I actually bought it because the Mojo reviewer evoked the names of Crosby and Nash and not, say, Young and Crazy Horse (which I've learned are code words for "toss another one on the Arcade Fire). There are obvious nods to The Beach Boys.

I simply like this record because the guy sings his ass off. Don't look for these moments on the first 2-3 tracks - you have to take it all in. I've heard some of the biggies of the last few years, like Iron&WillBonniePrinceBonIvorMopeyMcMopesteen, and my problem is always the dynamic range of the vocals, which looks something like this:

and even the early Elliott Smith records are like this, where it sounds like they're recording at a level that won't wake Mom. Fleet Foxes I struggle to sing along with, and that's good, because the guy opens up, much like:

I don't need any backstory - it sounds like it's recorded in a church, and though they leave some bad notes in, it sounds completely heartfelt. It's more "Wichita Lineman" than Leonard Cohen. It's ambitious and it shows real ability. I hope the hype doesn't kill 'em.

Total rock-star post - and sums up my feelings for the Fleet Foxes album about a million times better than I could do.
Wu-Tang Clan's Rza, on his non-rap influences: "Pink Floyd, Beatles, Yes...all them niggas!"

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 21 Jan 2009, 19:27

Its okay.
I finally found Fleet Foxes for myself.................
Now, if only I could remember my name.............
Bless the weather.......Image

Dogran

Postby Dogran » 22 Jan 2009, 12:36

It's extremely heartening to find so many people slagging them off; I've had enough of journalists bigging 'em up in all the end of year lists.

Given that both artists have, on paper, all the right influences, I should love both these records. Unfortunately, as it turns out, I have rarely heard two more lacklustre efforts. God knows I've tried, but I will be amazed if anyone is still listening to either of these in twelve months time.

Glad I'm not alone.