West Coast punk

Do talk back
Bungo the Mungo

West Coast punk

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Dec 2008, 14:28

Is it punk? I've no idea.

I've never been especially interested in this stuff, 'cos what I've heard just features really speedy tuneless riffs and the sound of a 'hard man' at the front, throwing up. But I've run out of late 60s garage/psych and weirdy 70s stuff to discover.

Any recommendations? Think I might like Descendents. Germs? Circle Jerks?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: West Coast punk

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Dec 2008, 14:37

Proceed directly to Black Flag and Flipper.
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Dec 2008, 14:39

Snarfyguy wrote:Proceed directly to Black Flag and Flipper.

Yeah? You think I'll like them?

Another thing I wanted to know - is there a decent comp available of this stuff?

Nick

Postby Nick » 19 Dec 2008, 14:42

I love The Dead Kennedys and The Minutemen, and I like some Black Flag stuff. I only have American Grafishy by Flipper, but I keep meaning to check out their earlier stuff.

Beyond that I've got a couple of X albums which are good in places, but not brilliant overall. I know odd tracks by people like The Germs, Fear, Circle Jerks, Weirdos and Descendents, but I can't say any of them particularly floated my boat.

When I think of this stuff I tend to lump in other contemporary bands I liked such as Ian Mackaye's Minor Threat and Embrace, although obviously they were both DC groups.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Dec 2008, 14:48

Sir John Coan wrote:

Another thing I wanted to know - is there a decent comp available of this stuff?

Repo Man Soundtrack?
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Nick

Postby Nick » 19 Dec 2008, 14:51

Sweet Baby Deebank wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:Another thing I wanted to know - is there a decent comp available of this stuff?

Repo Man Soundtrack?

Were the soundtracks to Suburbia and The Decline of Western Civilisation ever released ?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2008, 14:51

Only if you like the Clash

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2008, 14:52

Sweet Baby Deebank wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

Repo Man Soundtrack?

Not strictly west coast. They have Jonathan Richman and Iggy on them, I'm pretty sure.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2008, 14:55

Also, you might want to try the venerable Maximum Rock 'N' Roll zine's site.

http://maximumrocknroll.com/mainpage/index.html

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Dec 2008, 14:56

Not so little, not so saintly Nick wrote: I only have American Grafishy by Flipper, but I keep meaning to check out their earlier stuff.

I would not recommend that one. A comp of the early stuff or the debut album is the way to go here.

I don't know if you'll like them, John, but they're pretty esteemed. There are maybe twenty bands, tops, that stood out in this scene and Flipper's one of them.
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2008, 14:57

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Dec 2008, 15:11

sloopjohnc wrote:
Sweet Baby Deebank wrote: Repo Man Soundtrack?

Not strictly west coast. They have Jonathan Richman and Iggy on them, I'm pretty sure.

Yes, Pablo Picasso and Repo Man theme - respectively!
But who cares where they're from, it's where they're at that's important .... Man!
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Nick

Postby Nick » 19 Dec 2008, 15:19

There was a pretty big article about the LA punk scene in Mojo about four and a half years ago, the issue that the Red Hot Chili Peppers curated. If you haven't got it John, I can scan the article and email it over to you on Monday if you like.

It had this free CD with it as well, featuring The Circle Jerks, Weirdos and Descendents, amongst lots of other good stuff:

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Dec 2008, 15:26

Not so little, not so saintly Nick wrote:There was a pretty big article about the LA punk scene in Mojo about four and a half years ago, the issue that the Red Hot Chili Peppers curated. If you haven't got it John, I can scan the article and email it over to you on Monday if you like.

It had this free CD with it as well, featuring The Circle Jerks, Weirdos and Descendents, amongst lots of other good stuff:

Yes - I got that and there are good things on the CD. It sparked an interest in a couple of those bands.

I'll have another look at the mag when I get home.

Nick

Postby Nick » 19 Dec 2008, 15:33

Sir John Coan wrote:... there are good things on the CD.

Yeah, one of Mojo's best ever freebies I reckon. Harmonia, James's Chance and Brown, Gang of Four, Blonde Redhead, Zappa, the Slits - it was mobbed with goodies.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 19 Dec 2008, 15:46

Sir John Coan wrote:'cos what I've heard just features really speedy tuneless riffs and the sound of a 'hard man' at the front, throwing up.

Well, that takes care of about 75% of the stuff, right there.

Sir John Coan wrote:Any recommendations? Think I might like Descendents. Germs? Circle Jerks?

A quick trip to YouTube will probably fix you up here. Personally I love The Descendents who have a wicked sense of humor and some good punky tunes ("Suburban Home" is my fave).

There is also this fine compilation, with more hits than misses.

You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Dec 2008, 16:23

The comp Feeb posted is fine but there are plenty of great albums by California punk bands as well.
To wit:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

And that's just the late '70s/early '80s. And yes, I slipped a few compilations in there.
John 'master of temperance and tolerance' Coan wrote:Oh calm down for fuck's sake!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2008, 16:29

Oingo fucking Boingo?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2008, 16:34

king of kings feeb wrote:
There is also this fine compilation, with more hits than misses.

It does a pretty good job, but it forgets south of LA, the whole Bay Area scene and the Northwest.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Dec 2008, 16:36

the whole thing's a myth.

dysfunctional frat pack.

the US don't do punk.

Return to “Yakety Yak”