The last cd's at Woolworth's

Do talk back
CharliePalloy

The last cd's at Woolworth's

Postby CharliePalloy » 17 Dec 2008, 14:13

Popped into the closing down sale at my local Woolworth's today ,no real bargins ,they still had Van Morrison stuff at £11.98 and Elvis " The Sun years" at £9.99 but amongst all this they had several copies of Frank Sinatra's classic Capitol album"come dance with me " for £2 a shot !!! :o :o I would imagine if Frank could see this, it would break his heart,there was all manner of crap there with barely 10% off but it would seem they cant give this one away and I might add with bonus tracks ! :? By the way ,is the same thing happening over in America ,is it a world wide shutdown of Woolworth's ? :(

JQW

Re: The last cd's at Woolworth's

Postby JQW » 17 Dec 2008, 14:43

I didn't see anything like that in the local branch at the weekend; I'll pop in later today when I visit town.

The UK Woolworths spun off from the US parent back in the early 1980s. The US company now only exists as Foot Locker.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 17 Dec 2008, 15:06

I think Woolies closed down over here years ago. I've been here 15 years and travelled around most of the country and I've never seen one.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

di Maio
Location: Down in Dixieland loudly playing a silver fiddle, minding the Man

Postby di Maio » 18 Dec 2008, 02:20

Yeah I remember Woolworth's as a kid, but they all closed down. There was a sit-in at the Woolworth's counter in Greensboro, NC back in 1960. Part of that counter is in the NC history museum and another section is now in the new Smithsonian.

There's a ex-Woolworth's building in Asheville, NC (still has the sign) that has a great art gallery with many booths from local artists. A lot of great art can go for real cheap here, so my wife and I always stop there when we visit.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 28 Feb 2018, 15:10

Anyway - now you've got this place which serves EXACTLY the same purpose:

(apart from the CDs)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 28 Feb 2018, 15:26

CharliePalloy wrote:Popped into the closing down sale at my local Woolworth's today ,no real bargins ,they still had Van Morrison stuff at £11.98 and Elvis " The Sun years" at £9.99 but amongst all this they had several copies of Frank Sinatra's classic Capitol album"come dance with me " for £2 a shot !!! :o :o I would imagine if Frank could see this, it would break his heart,there was all manner of crap there with barely 10% off but it would seem they cant give this one away and I might add with bonus tracks ! :? By the way ,is the same thing happening over in America ,is it a world wide shutdown of Woolworth's ? :(

Apropos of nothing, Frank looks like a nonce on this cover.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Return to “Yakety Yak”