28%
Does not suck
72%

Total votes: 25

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Hall of Suck: Song Cycle

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 15 Dec 2008, 23:09

It's one of those LPs where i like the idea much more than the actuality. It's just too diffuse - it never coagulates y'know ? Nothing connects, there doesn't seem to be an overarching thread to pull it all together and help the listener. I think the two that follow are easier to listen to ( ah the steel drums ) but seem less visionary. Does it suck ? Er.......
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

sloopjohnc

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Song Cycle

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Dec 2008, 00:26

There should be a "on some days I really like it and some days I wonder how I ever thought that" option.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 Dec 2008, 02:31

I actually agree with everything that's been said so far on this thread. This comes closest to what I would say:
Davey the Jolly Fat Man wrote:I'll be honest - I voted against including it somewhat reflexively. Parks is one of the good guys and sometimes I can be respectful to a fault. I generally have some difficulty with this album when I play it, but I wnd up blaming myself for not being up to the task of hanging with it.

But I have a feeling it's never going to quite click with me. But I like it a bit more every time I play it. It was initially pretty offputting, with the feyness of his delivery and the non-physicality of the whole sound. Coming at it expecting something a little more like Smile, it was a pretty big letdown. But I have come to like it somewhat, so I wouldn't say it totally sucks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 16 Dec 2008, 13:51

I've never heard this, but the descriptions from the naysayers actually make me want to listen to it. I think I'll investigate...

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Dec 2008, 14:00

I bought this when I was going through a SMiLE period. Bits are good but overall it is less than the sum of its parts but it deffo doesn't suck.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Dec 2008, 16:07

A little of it goes a long way and I'd definitely want a remastered version as the current CD is a bit hissy but no, it doesn't exactly "suck."
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 16 Dec 2008, 16:26

the three masked men wrote:I've never heard this, but the descriptions from the naysayers actually make me want to listen to it. I think I'll investigate...

It always reminds me of Peter Skellern Andrew..which is a warning of sorts I suppose. I always want to like the record and some of the descriptions of it are always so fascinating that I always return to it with a fresh sense of expectation..only to be disappointed again.
Actually I am happy for it to escape (as it looks like doing) the hall of suck, as it's, if nothing else, hugely ambitious and has to receive some credit for its sheer audacity.
At this point I'm not sure if it's good but I just can't hear its craft, if it's not very good but has a certain idiosyncratic charm which makes it worthwhile anyway or if its just a disaster of a record which is getting a soft ride because of its chutzpah.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 16 Dec 2008, 16:55

Actually the above somes up my reaction to it perfectly and saves me another 20 years (I bought it about a decade ago) of trying to connect with it.

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 16 Dec 2008, 19:07

Of course it doesn't "suck." In fact, it's a work of genius. Is this a joke?
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

toomanypillowz

Postby toomanypillowz » 16 Dec 2008, 19:40

Davey the Jolly Fat Man wrote:
bixhenry wrote:But a "sexless listen?" If that's your criterion, VDP is certainly the wrong place to even attempt to find it.

I was being a bit facetious. Ultimately I was simply acusing it of being a bit cerebral.

What do you mean? Van Dyke Park OOZES sex! :lol:
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 16 Dec 2008, 23:18

Whaaaaaat? VDP in the Hall Of Suck? No way!

Looks like that cloth-ear syndrome's spreading fast!
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 17 Dec 2008, 15:42

So I pulled it out and gave it a listen. I'm going to keep my vote of 'does not suck" in place as it truly does not suck.

I think it is an album that demands to be approached differently than a pop record. Not long ago we had a discussion of the White Album here and several BCB'ers were talking about the beauty of Revolution #9. I think you have to listen to Song Cycle with the same kind of ear you'd lend to that track. If you let it wash over you, it is actually a lot of fun.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

toomanypillowz

Postby toomanypillowz » 17 Dec 2008, 18:25

Davey the Jolly Fat Man wrote:So I pulled it out and gave it a listen. I'm going to keep my vote of 'does not suck" in place as it truly does not suck.

I think it is an album that demands to be approached differently than a pop record. Not long ago we had a discussion of the White Album here and several BCB'ers were talking about the beauty of Revolution #9. I think you have to listen to Song Cycle with the same kind of ear you'd lend to that track. If you let it wash over you, it is actually a lot of fun.

It's a great record, and absolutely is not a pop record. One should approach it like a soundtrack, which is kind of what it is - a soundtrack to Americana. You'll hear Stephen Foster and Gershwin in the mix. And it IS fun, which I think a lot of people miss. It makes me feel like I'm taking the Mark Twain in Disneyland and being shown the make believe version of New Orleans and Frontierland.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Dec 2008, 18:32

toomanymistletoes wrote:It makes me feel like I'm taking the Mark Twain in Disneyland and being shown the make believe version of New Orleans and Frontierland.

Yeah, except for that that *sucks* and Song Cycle does not!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

toomanypillowz

Postby toomanypillowz » 17 Dec 2008, 18:53

Snarfyguy wrote:
toomanymistletoes wrote:It makes me feel like I'm taking the Mark Twain in Disneyland and being shown the make believe version of New Orleans and Frontierland.

Yeah, except for that that *sucks* and Song Cycle does not!

Heh. I'm a Disneyland geek, so I have a different perspective (vintage Disneyland; the new Disneyland DOES suck!).

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MlURwBjGHv4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MlURwBjGHv4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 17 Dec 2008, 22:00

toomanymistletoes wrote:
Davey the Jolly Fat Man wrote:
bixhenry wrote:But a "sexless listen?" If that's your criterion, VDP is certainly the wrong place to even attempt to find it.

I was being a bit facetious. Ultimately I was simply acusing it of being a bit cerebral.

What do you mean? Van Dyke Park OOZES sex! :lol:

That happens to a lot of guys. No big deal!
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 17 Dec 2008, 22:22

I'm open minded to different music but I just don't like this album at all. I can't recall it that well so I'll reserve my judgement and sling Song Cycle on tonight.
king of the divan

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 18 Dec 2008, 07:34

Sir John Coan wrote:I quite like it, parts of it at least. And I really like Van Dyke Parks.

Same here.

It never clicked with me the way, say, Discover America or Orange Crate Art did. I always felt more admiration for the "wunderkind" aspect than actual fondness.

But I'll give it another listen before deciding.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Jan 2018, 07:39

I'm not often in the mood for it, but it decidedly Does Not Suck. Apparently I voted at the time but didn't comment.

This was a good series.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Jan 2018, 15:09

Was it Brother Spoon did a brilliant write-up on this in another thread? I think so. Trying to find that thread on an iPhone is more trouble than I’m willing to take on at present, though.