20 years later, it still delights.

"Spacehead"

[youtube]lrPRqecw_kA&feature=related[/youtube]
"Thru The Flowers"

"Dreamwalk Baby"

[youtube]TDdbniUhjHg&NR=1[/youtube]
"Stop Killing Me" (excerpt)

[youtube]zILq-0KnDNU&feature=related[/youtube]
"Out Of Reach" (single version - different from the Lovely version, but I couldn't find that one on YouTube)

and of course...

[youtube]viX2iCxdTco&feature=related[/youtube]

Any love for Lovely?

jabba4

Re: The Primitives: LOVELY (1988)

Postby jabba4 » 12 Dec 2008, 10:49

Aye. Not listened to it for a while though. I'll rectify that this weekend.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 12 Dec 2008, 12:57

Oh yeah, they were a cracking band, had that indie pop thing down. I have a rather good compilation which spans their whole career, which is great because there were some very good tunes on their other albums as well. Pure in particular was excellent, including perhaps their finest moment, Way Behind Me.

Check this out, pop kids:

Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Spec

Postby Spec » 12 Dec 2008, 16:33

Saw them live a couple of times and they were great. There were a few similar bands around at the time - Darling Buds, Voice of the Beehive. But Primitives were the best.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 12 Dec 2008, 21:48

Tonys of Comfort & Joy wrote:twee (Those Dancing Days, Belly)

Twee ? Belly ? Fairly poppy, yes. But twee ? No way.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 13 Dec 2008, 06:31

Oh damn, The Primitives! I had some of that on tape.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 13 Dec 2008, 18:42

Stille Baron wrote:Oh damn, The Primitives! I had some of that on tape.

Me too.
I'll have to keep on the look out for that.

I had my 6 monthly airing of Pop Said this week, what a cracking album.

Any further nominations for dyed-blonde-haired-girl-fronted-band-with-anonymous-boy-members, as I believe the NME christened the movement?

Postby Insouciant Western People » 13 Dec 2008, 23:05

secondhandsocks wrote:Any further nominations for dyed-blonde-haired-girl-fronted-band-with-anonymous-boy-members, as I believe the NME christened the movement?

The originators:

The 80s pop verison:

Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 13 Dec 2008, 23:09

Tonys of Comfort & Joy wrote:They definitely had Twee tendencies, especially if you follow the trend from Throwing Muses...

Again, I disagree, more so with the Throwing Muses being considered twee. Any twee tendencies were very limited compared to the more overt twee British bands like the whole Sarah label roster, etc.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Postby Insouciant Western People » 13 Dec 2008, 23:18

Mm, twee is about the last adjective that springs to mind when I think of Kristin Hersh. Tanya Donelly has some twee tendencies, but thankfully Kristin managed to keep them in check whilst she was in the Muses. Belly were a little more that way at times, but not unpleasantly so.

As Magilla says, certainly nothing to compare with the likes of Beat Happening, The Field Mice, The Pastels, The Pooh Sticks, Heavenly etc - not that there's anything wrong with any of those bands, all of whom made some very fine records.

On the whole though, I tend to prefer women with a bit of a snarl to them, yer Kristins, Pattis, Pollys, Kat Bjellands etc. Courtney too, at least on the first two Hole lps, which people tend to forget* were really very good.

* Understandably so, given than just about everything she's done since 1994 has been dreadful shite.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Dec 2008, 23:24

I think Tony was suggesting that Belly was "twee" as compared to Throwing Muses. (That's how I read it, anyway.) And in that very relative sense I reckon they were.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 13 Dec 2008, 23:34

Fair point. They weren't as good either, although the SlowdustEP was very good, and the first album had its moments.

robertff

Postby robertff » 14 Dec 2008, 17:20

Crash is just such a fantastic pop song, just too short leaving you wanting more. They were a very good band - still play their albums.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Dec 2008, 18:03

I wish "I'll Stick With You" and "Run Baby Run" and "Don't Want Anything To Change" were on YouTube.

I think "I'll Stick With You" is my favorite...

Return to “Yakety Yak”