Should I go and see Spiritualized?

Do talk back
Arthur Crud

Should I go and see Spiritualized?

Postby Arthur Crud » 08 Dec 2008, 20:55

The Crud discretionary gig dollar is already stretched tight what with The Who in March and Stereolab late Jan.

Should I stretch it even tighter and take in Spiritualised mid-Jan?

I've been listening to their albums which are just fine at home but really are they gonna be all that exciting live? What's the attraction? Do I need to be off me bonce?
Last edited by Arthur Crud on 08 Dec 2008, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

WG Kaspar

Re: Should I go and see Spiritualised?

Postby WG Kaspar » 08 Dec 2008, 21:01

One of the most disappointing gigs I've ever been to. Pierce was stoned out of his brains just sar oh his chair and scratched his guitar for two hours. Others found it exciting however.
I run out of talent

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Dec 2008, 21:13

Certainly not if you can't even spell their bloody name

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Arthur Crud

Re: Should I go and see Spiritualized?

Postby Arthur Crud » 08 Dec 2008, 21:24

Carlsson wrote:Certainly not if you can't even spell their bloody name

Oh did you think I meant that Spirirtualized? No, no I meant the other one. The spoon orchestra.

Bastid.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Dec 2008, 21:27

Falalalala la 'kin Arthur 'kin Crud wrote:
Carlsson wrote:Certainly not if you can't even spell their bloody name

Oh did you think I meant that Spirirtualized? No, no I meant the other one. The spoon orchestra.

Bastid.

:lol:

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

B

Postby B » 08 Dec 2008, 21:34

I saw 'em earlier this year in a small club and it was well worth it. I'm not really into the newest album but I didn't mind hearing them play that stuff since they also did a few off Ladies and Gentlemen... and some Spacemen 3 songs.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 08 Dec 2008, 21:36

I saw 'em in London 10 years ago and they were superb. As I understand it, Silver Apples are supporting so they'd be worth seeing on their own, IMHO.

What date is the Auckland gig ? I'm seeing both at the Sydney ATP on Jan 17 and I could PM you the next day to say if they were on form or not. That way, if tickets were still available, you'd know whether they'd be worth going to.

I haven't heard the latest album and have mixed feelings on the previous two, but the first three are all superb.

Do you need to be off your bonce ? Hmm, let's just say that the music itself is already high quality modern psychedelia, but some "enhancement" would certainly add to the effect... ;)

I'm pleased you're going to see The Who, good interview with Daltrey on Campbell Live last night. I don't fancy yours having to sit through Counting Crows, though.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 08 Dec 2008, 21:38

I saw them on the Ladies and Gentlemen... tour opening for Radiohead (OK Computer) at both were great.

I would go for sure.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 08 Dec 2008, 21:41

Magilla wrote:I don't fancy yours having to sit through Counting Crows, though.

Ain't that the truth :-(

I think it's Jan 21 at The Powerstation with (at least) X-Features supporting...Silver Apples could swing it tho!

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 08 Dec 2008, 21:55

Falalalala la 'kin Arthur 'kin Crud wrote:I think it's Jan 21 at The Powerstation with (at least) X-Features supporting...Silver Apples could swing it tho!

Jan 13, with Silver Apples according to Spiritualized's myspace. Go!
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

This Here Dream Machine

Postby This Here Dream Machine » 08 Dec 2008, 22:46

Recordings I've heard of recent gigs have been superb. I'd go in a heartbeat.
"First Sex Pistols song I ever heard? I guess 'Hot Cars'..."

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 09 Dec 2008, 00:17

I've seen them twice. Once they were transcendant. The next time they were all right. You should go.
king of the divan

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 09 Dec 2008, 00:39

I saw them on their last tour of Oz about three or so years ago, it was boring as batshit. I'm prepared to give them another go at All Tomorrow's Parties in Jan, if recent reviews have been better.

quartzcity

Postby quartzcity » 09 Dec 2008, 01:08

Falalalala la 'kin Arthur 'kin Crud wrote:The Crud discretionary gig dollar is already stretched tight what with The Who in March and Stereolab late Jan.

Should I stretch it even tighter and take in Spiritualised mid-Jan?

I've been listening to their albums which are just fine at home but really are they gonna be all that exciting live? What's the attraction? Do I need to be off me bonce?

If you haven't seen them live before and you like Songs In A+E or Amazing Grace then do it., otherwise save your money for one of the mega-awesome Stereolab laundry bags (no joke: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arambulo/2926256746/ )

I've seen Spiritualized about 15-20 times over the years and the current band is very very good, but if you're looking to revisit 1992-1996 you'll be disappointed.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 09 Dec 2008, 03:24

I saw their show last August (3rd or 4th time)...
It was OK but when Mrs Kenji said "Let's go to their show next January!" I said "I don't care about seeing it again"...
I think they are interesting first one or two times but now I think it's better to spend that ticket money on some albums and then phone Domino's or Pizza-La...
Maybe I'm old now... :lol:

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 09 Dec 2008, 03:46

Yes, go. I saw them on Ladies & Gentlemen and on Amazing Grace, they were great. How big is the venue? Last time I saw was in small (500 or so) place, the light show was waaaaay trippy.
He tries.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Dec 2008, 08:57

I can see the boredom-factor for many people watching the stage but I had some grand trips during Mr. Pierce'snsemble's various recitals over the year.
Just drill a hole in your skull and go!

Besides, there's Silver Apples....!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Yakety Yak”