Anthology 1 Beatles - a review!!!

Do talk back
Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Anthology 1 Beatles - a review!!!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 06 Dec 2008, 17:12

This review of Anthology 1 cracked me up...the guy really has his head so far up his own ass that he's deaf...

6 of 36 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Truth Be Told, These Recordings Are Horribly Bad, July 15, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Anthology 1 (Audio CD)
To put it as plainly and as honestly as possible---Beatles Anthology 1 stinks. If this ratings page allowed for it, I would have rated this CD in negative numbers. You know, when I first heard these recordings, I gave the Beatles the benefit of the doubt. I said to myself, "Well, the songs are terrible---out of tune, out of tempo, voices are out of harmony, etc... but, the Beatles were only kids at the time." Then I realized that the Beatles were eighteen and nineteen years old when these records were cut---not that young to justify such horrendous musicianship and and such juvenile, discordant singing. I'm not Andre Segovia, but when I was fourteen I was playing a better, crisper, cleaner guitar than were the Beatles at eighteen and nineteen (in Lennon's and Starr's case, at twenty-one and twenty-two). These guys were just plain horrible. As I got older and listened to great guitarists like Django Reinhardt, Charlie Christian, Eddie Lang, Joe Pass, etc., and such great drummers as Louis Belson, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, etc., I realized more and more just how overrated the Beatles were. If not for Brian Epstein's public relations genius and, subsequently, millions of screaming thirteen year old girls, the Beatles would have been just another novelty act warranting an asterisk in popular musical history. Instead, we have an entire 1960s generation (three quarters of whom were stoned out of their minds at the time) hailing these three chord wonders as the collective Jesus Christ of popular music. After listening to these simple-minded, horribly-played and atrociously sung songs, I harbor little doubt that all aesthetic taste in American culture died in the late 1960s. Even worse, the Beatles "democratized" popular music so that from the mid-1960s onward any nitwit who could play a C, F, and G chord on a guitar could become a "musical genius." And to think these guys became multimillionaires! Of course, we'll get those pseudo-intellectuals who'll claim that the Beatles sophisticated themselves and progressed in their musicianship and went on eventually to write such "classics" as "I Am the Walrus," "We All Live In A Yellow Submarine," "Revolution Number 9", and "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey." I rest my case.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? YesNo

Report this | Permalink
Comment Comment (1)
the Eagles suck.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Re: Anthology 1 Beatles - a review!!!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 06 Dec 2008, 17:27

Here are some for Anthology 3...I pulled their names off, even though amazon published them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be Disappointed, August 9, 2001
By S H (Woodhaven, N.Y.) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Anthology 3 (Audio CD)
I purchased this CD to listen to a favorite song by the Beatles, "Because" and I was so disappointed, because it seemed like a very brief rendition of the orginal. The entire CD seems like it's a rendition and not by the Beatles themselves. I recall the Beatles music in the 1960s and this CD just doesn't measure up to what I remember. For someone who never experienced the Beatles when they were actively singing, they may not notice the difference, and would not be disappointed. The sound is good but the songs just don't seem like the original stuff. I overpaid and was very disappointed.

Report this | Permalink
Comment Comment

2 of 59 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, March 16, 2005
By E K (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What can you say about a band that is supposedly brilliant and legendary that writes a song 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun'.

Take away the hype and aura of the Beatles and what are you left with? No talent.

Report this | Permalink
Comment Comment (1)

And here's some for Anthology 2...I'm leaving Wolfgan's info...it's funny what people put on Amazon...
1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, August 29, 2008
By Wolfgang S - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Anthology 2 (Audio CD)
I am deeply disappointed by the so-called Beatles Anthology since all three CDs contain just a couple of originally recorded songs which is not mentioned in the advertisement. I consider this a certain breach of trust at least as far as my personal relationship with Amazon is concerned. I will return the CDs.--Wolfgang S, Zumsteinstr. 11, 78464 Konstanz, Germany

Report this | Permalink
Comment Comment

9 of 23 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars an exercise in tedium, July 29, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Anthology 2 (Audio CD)
Let's see...we have the "strings only" "Eleanor Rigby" tracks and take eleven of "Taxman". Think how many more "anthology" volumes might be made out of the remaining tracks and takes. Why not the bass drum track of take six of "Michelle", etc.? Besides Frankenstein's "Real Love" and "12 Bar Original Nothing" we have two never-before released (by the Beatles) Beatles originals, both dismal and both sounding very much like The Rutles: They include the inadvertantly hilarious lines "You think I'm soft in the head/Well, try someone softer instead" ("If You've Got Trouble", Lennon-McCartney) and "Love can be deep inside/Love can be suicide" ("That Means a Lot", Paul McCartney). Hmm...I think I like the "strings only" "Eleanor Rigby" best.

Recommended (for guitarists too): PENTATONIC SCALES FOR THE JAZZ-ROCK KEYBOARDIST by Jeff Burns.

Report this | Permalink
Comment Comment

Gotta love this guy's proggy recommendation though!!!!!!
the Eagles suck.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 06 Dec 2008, 17:55

Matty Red Sox wrote: Instead, we have an entire 1960s generation (three quarters of whom were stoned out of their minds at the time)

Loved this part. Very specific in his percentage of stoned people in the 60's.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 06 Dec 2008, 17:55

Matty Red Sox wrote:(REAL NAME)
...The sound is good but the songs just don't seem like the original stuff. I overpaid and was very disappointed.

:D :D
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 06 Dec 2008, 18:09

Matty Red Sox wrote:Let's see...we have the "strings only" "Eleanor Rigby" tracks and take eleven of "Taxman". Think how many more "anthology" volumes might be made out of the remaining tracks and takes. Why not the bass drum track of take six of "Michelle", etc.? ...

This is exactly what I hope happens! :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Yakety Yak”