R.I.P. Alan Gordon ("Happy Together" songwriter)

Do talk back
Charlie O.

R.I.P. Alan Gordon ("Happy Together" songwriter)

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Dec 2008, 19:29

Just saw this on the Sundazed site:

Sundazed is deeply saddened at the passing of legendary songwriter and founder of the Magicians, Alan Gordon, at the age of 64. Alan Gordon was a unique songwriting talent who possessed the genius to write chart-topping tunes to order, but still write them from the heart. He composed strong, memorable melodies and intelligent lyrics with humor, poise and charm. The word that might best describe Gordon's art is "craftsman," a valued trait that has become increasingly rare in this day of computer-driven music.

Born in Natick, Mass. in 1944, Gordon formed the Magicians, which also would include his eventual songwriting partner, Bronx native Gary Bonner, in 1965. The hungry, young, New York-based combo cut a handful of singles for Columbia before realizing they had an innate knack for catchy melodies and clever lyrics that would become national hits for other acts. In addition to composing "Happy Together"—the signature song for the Turtles and voted by publishing giant BMI as one of the Top 50 singles of the 20th century—Gordon and Bonner also wrote tunes for artists as diverse as: the Lovin' Spoonful, Petula Clark, Gary Lewis, Barbra Streisand, Gene Pitney, Freddie Fender, Bobby Darin, Alice Cooper, Dr. Demento, Frank Zappa and the Archies.

As Gary Bonner says: "Alan was one of the brightest lights this world has ever had. His music will live on." Perhaps Alan Gordon, himself, ever the eloquent tunesmith, put it best: "As long as there's an April, a girl and a boy, there will always be music, and I'll be around." Sundazed will deeply miss our longtime friend and colleague.

Brin
Rogue element
Location: ''Trying to get to heaven before they close the door''

Re: R.I.P. Alan Gordon ("Happy Together" songwriter)

Postby Brin » 03 Dec 2008, 19:46

That's a shame.Happy Together is a great song.Full of hope and drenched in Summer.
R.I.P.
Beebsy wrote:The guys are wankers, we all know that.

Quaco
F R double E

Re: R.I.P. Alan Gordon ("Happy Together" songwriter)

Postby Quaco » 05 Dec 2008, 07:37

Sad news. He wrote some great stuff. Makes my Guilty Pleasure song more poignant...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Yakety Yak”