The Thread For Turning Davey Onto "New" Music

Do talk back
harvey k-tel
Long Player

The Thread For Turning Davey Onto "New" Music

Postby harvey k-tel » 27 Nov 2008, 02:52

Who knows how this will go, but I'm gonna start with this number - Two by Ryan Adams:

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: The Thread For Turning Davey Onto "New" Music

Postby harvey k-tel » 27 Nov 2008, 03:12

Maybe, Davey, you could give us a simple 1-10 rating for each song that gets posted (providing other songs get posted). A brief explanation would also be welcome. The rest of you keep your friggin' thoughts to yourselves.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Nov 2008, 03:17

Wow - nice to be a BCB project all by my lonesome.

I will happily watch anything that is offered in good spirits.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

RcL

Postby RcL » 27 Nov 2008, 03:42

Radio edit, but lovely, simple song.

RcL

Postby RcL » 27 Nov 2008, 03:44

Oh yes

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Nov 2008, 04:32

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Nov 2008, 13:55

Okay - my responses to what has been posted:

I'm going to decline to assign number grades to these songs because they oversimplify. I appreciate the good humor in which this thread was started and don't want to set myself up to be like Simon Cowell on the American Idol panel - standing in harsh judgment of everything that deigns to cross my path. Rather - I'd simply prefer to just say a few words about the music I've been offered.

Ryan Adams - Two
FWIW I have Easy Tiger - I like the studio version of "Two" w/Sheryl Crow singing back-up, but this is a really nice performance too. Adams is an interesting case in point for me. I have a hard time figuring out why I don't like him more. I own about five of his albums and don't find myself reaching for them very often despite the fact that al of the elements seem to be in place. Good songwriter. Good singer. Good band. Draws from a musical form I love. But somehow there is a lack of authority there that keeps me just at an arm's distance.

The Cinematic Orchestra - To Build a Home
Music like this leaves me really conflicted. I immediately recognize that the lyrics are strong, so that does a lot to draw me in. I also tend to like this kind of orchestral setting, so early on I'm pretty intrigued. But the singing...ugh the singing. I don't know how to explain why the vocals on a lot of emo-inspired records grate on me so. By the big crescendo at the end I want to throttle the guy. I also have to mention that I find the whole thing sort of melodically nebulous. As I said about Ryan Adams - there is a sense authority missing from it.

The Budos Band - Up From The South/Eastbound
Okay - here is something I can enthusiastically endorse. It's funky, exciting, fun and inventive. These guys draw from established musical styles without falling into the trap of pastiche. They simply use them as a foundation to do their own thing. I'd buy this album - and I may indeed do so. I especially liked "Eastbound".

The only caveat to the above is that I feel I ought to try and put a record like this into perspective as pertains to my basic complaint about modern music: It is really good. I like it. But it also happens to fall into a form (instrumental jazz/funk/world) that, even in its classic incarnations, has never been a central staple of my musical diet. In other words...I can enthuse over Jimmy McGriff or Maynard Ferguson too, but they are side orders for me.

Chris Brown - Now That You're Fed
Went to his website and listened to the free snippet of all of the songs on the album. Obviously that isn't enough to draw conclusions on - so I won't. I will say that I liked what I did hear. He's got a vocal style that reminds me of a less wispy Elliot Smith. I'm interested in finding out whether he stays on the right side of the clever/too clever divide. If he does - this could be a really nice album.

modharper
Just a hunk a hunk of burnin' love

Postby modharper » 27 Nov 2008, 14:44

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4fOnuAQQRXg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4fOnuAQQRXg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Dr. Dog - The Old Days
THIS WAY FOR A COWBOY'S BREAKFAST

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 27 Nov 2008, 14:56

Fujiya & Miyagi - Knickerbocker
Just a penitent man

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 28 Nov 2008, 23:51

Davey, my man, what do you make of this? Something of a post-millennium soundsystem classic, putting a rootsy slant on modern dancehall.

I-Wayne - 'Living in Love'
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 29 Nov 2008, 09:06

Jamie Lidell Another Day

CharliePalloy

Postby CharliePalloy » 29 Nov 2008, 09:19

RcL wrote:

Radio edit, but lovely, simple song.

That guy sounds like he has listened to the Alessi Brothers !! :o
[youtube]cIFeq4x_2Xc&feature=related[/youtube]

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 01 Dec 2008, 22:35

bump

c'mon Davey, more reviews

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 01 Dec 2008, 22:37

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Wow - nice to be a BCB project all by my lonesome.

I will happily watch anything that is offered in good spirits.

Rats. :|

I've booked the Budos band once or twice. They get the place going, I'll tell you that.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Dec 2008, 22:47

Davey frequently complains that music fails to move him.
I say we all forget the music and pitch in to buy him a train ticket.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Dec 2008, 22:53

You might not want to do that. I'd probably use it to go back to California. :D

P.S. I was away for the weekend and didn't have a chance to listen to the last few. Will try to respond tonight.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Dec 2008, 20:32

Dr. Dog - The Old Days
I think I like the song better than the performance, which seems a bit rough here. I'd like to hear a studio version. Nothing earth shattering, but pleasant enough.

Fujiya & Miyagi - Knickerbocker
Not my thing. The video was interesting. I never quite know what to say about this sort of record. It is fine for what it is (and there are some nice musical touches), but I can't imagine ever being in a mood where this is what I'm yearning for.

I-Wayne - Living in Love
Like a lot of hip hop, I start off really feeling entranced by the track only to eventually feel that the record never moves beyond that point. The lack of dynamics and lyrical subject matter that goes by too fast for me to grasp leave me with little to hold on to. The first 30 seconds are dynamite.

Jamie Lidell - Another Day
Nothing wrong with a little blue-eyed soul. This is well done if not entirely memorable . I wouldn't mind hearing more by the guy. The video is disturbing though.

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 04 Dec 2008, 21:03

Davey the Jolly Fat Man wrote:Jamie Lidell - Another Day
Nothing wrong with a little blue-eyed soul. This is well done if not entirely memorable . I wouldn't mind hearing more by the guy. The video is disturbing though.

Not as disturbing as this one.

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 08 Dec 2008, 11:23

The Zutons! That was the band I was trying to remember for the what would make you leave the room thread.

Awful.

Here's another 2008 release for you delectation Davey, Sun Kil Moon's Heron Blue from the April album.
Not for everyone, and it's quite long, but you never know...

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Apr 2019, 03:23

Any updates, Davey?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?