new 'Ugly Things' on the way

Do talk back
Jeff K
The Original K

new 'Ugly Things' on the way

Postby Jeff K » 30 Jul 2008, 01:04

It's about that time again. My favorite magazine, Ugly Things , is almost ready to make its yearly appearance. Issue # 27 looks positively terrific. The Small Faces and the Who share the cover and the story inside pertains to their controversial tour stops in Australia and New Zealand in '68.

"Here is UGLY THINGS #27. 216 pages / perfect bound / full-color glossy cover. Co-headlining our big cover story this time are The Who and The Small Faces as Andy Neill reports on their controversial 68 tour of Australia and New Zealand, complete with an array of WOW-inducing unpublished photos. Also, for the first time anywhere, the story of Garden Grove garage rock teens The Spats ("She Done Moved," "Gator Tails & Monkey Ribs"), Brooklyn, NY psych rockers The Koala, and 70s NYC punks The Victims. Also on tap, Jon Savages revealing interview with Beatles publicist Derek Taylor about Brian Epstein, a conversation with Animals guitarist Hilton Valentine, drop-dead delicious Sixties beat girl/style icon Gillian Hills, R&B songwriting genius Alonzo B Willis, Mike Hudson of the Pagans, and Johan Kugelbergs countdown of the best junkshop Glam Rock discs. And theres more. Sixties garage rock a-go-go with The Heard ("Stop It Baby"), The Persuaders, The Lost Souls, plus more Garage Rock history from Californias Inland Empire. Also: Exotic beat music from Chile and Venezuela, Jack Downing & the Other Side, and Ade Blackburn of Clinic picks his all-time Psychedelic Top 10. All this and more-including, of course, our extensive review section, covering all the latest reissues and music-related books and DVDs."
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Re: new 'Ugly Things' on the way

Postby king feeb » 30 Jul 2008, 01:14

YAY!

It's about time, Mike Stax, ya slow bastid! :x
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 30 Jul 2008, 01:21

Jeff K wrote: "...Also, for the first time anywhere, the story of Garden Grove garage rock teens The Spats ("She Done Moved," "Gator Tails & Monkey Ribs"), Brooklyn, NY psych rockers The Koala, and 70s NYC punks The Victims..."

There was an NYC punk band called The Victims too? The only band of that name I know was Dave Faulkner's pre-Hoodoo Gurus outfit (I really scored the Australian Victims EP which was a bit of a find, though not as good as the 'Television Addict' single)

Ta for the heads up about Ugly Things Jeff, I look forward to reading about the troubled Who/Small Faces '68 tour. I think that was the tour where Pete Townshend perfected his 'cornflakes-in-the-bathroom-sink' trick, to get revenge on rude hoteliers with rock hard dried breakfast cereal that's impossible to remove.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 30 Jul 2008, 02:51

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:There was an NYC punk band called The Victims too? The only band of that name I know was Dave Faulkner's pre-Hoodoo Gurus outfit (I really scored the Australian Victims EP which was a bit of a find, though not as good as the 'Television Addict' single)

They was a second tier (maybe even a third tier) punk band that came out of the CBGB scene. There was actually a bunch of similar bands like the Testors and the Blessed that didn't get the recognition their artier 'big brothers' had received. One of the things I enjoy about Ugly Things is their championing of the unknown. Mind you, the Victims were probably second stringers for a reason but it's still fascinating reading up on them. I'm also looking forward to the feature on Gillain Hills, the girl who got to wrestle Jane Birken in the nude in Blow-Up. :lol:

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 30 Jul 2008, 02:53

and the cover...

king feeb

Postby king feeb » 30 Jul 2008, 03:01

The reviews alone are worth the price of admission.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 30 Jul 2008, 03:08

The only thing I wish Mike Stax would do is throw in a CD compilation of some of the lesser known bands they cover. I know it would be even more costly for him to do that but it would gives us a chance to hear the music since most of the stuff is so hard to find.

king feeb

Postby king feeb » 30 Jul 2008, 03:18

I'd pay a couple extra bucks for that!

I've bought discs from Stax on three occasions (he put out a comp of the Inland California band The Bush that's pretty fun, and some unreleased Misunderstood too). He's fast and friendly, so maybe he could just offer a comp through the magazine.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 30 Jul 2008, 03:24

king feeb wrote:I'd pay a couple extra bucks for that!

I've bought discs from Stax on three occasions (he put out a comp of the Inland California band The Bush that's pretty fun, and some unreleased Misunderstood too). He's fast and friendly, so maybe he could just offer a comp through the magazine.

He's a super nice guy. He actually takes the time to write you a little thank you note just for buying his magazine.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Jul 2008, 15:53

It's impossible to find around here and I e-mailed the site about a year ago asking about subscriptions and never got an answer.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

king feeb

Postby king feeb » 30 Jul 2008, 15:58

sloopjohnc wrote:It's impossible to find around here and I e-mailed the site about a year ago asking about subscriptions and never got an answer.

That sounds out of character for Stax. I wonder if the e-mail even went through.

When I ordered his Pretty Things book, he got it here in two days!

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 20 Aug 2008, 23:35

My issue arrived today along with the Pretty Things book.

Just a reminder, folks.

Pepito

Postby Pepito » 11 Mar 2009, 20:49

NEW! UGLY THINGS #28.

Nice.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Mar 2009, 02:12

WooHoo!

Return to “Yakety Yak”