An amazing record from the pen of Jerry "Swamp Dogg" Williams:

[youtube]dwjpTf9JYnA&feature=related[/youtube]

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Baron's Million Dollar Jams

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Jul 2010, 08:53

[youtube]avQkL_Qky74&NR=1[/youtube]

It's great that she's finally getting her due. I'd rather it be for this, or for her work with James Brown, than for Who covers, but it's still better than nothing.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 11 Jul 2010, 10:39

I don't know whether this jam is worth a million, but it's certainly worth a few hundred thousand. Major Lazer is really the creation of supersharp producers Diplo and Switch, plus whichever Jamaican MC happened to nearby at the time, and not, regrettably, a cartoon crime-fighting dancefloor supero. Still, the pair create such a sonic fury that they make you believe that not only such a character could exist, but that if he did, he would solve all the world's problems. "Hold the Line" is their MO condensed into 3:30- buzzing ringtones, slamming beats, gruff vocals, and nothing but bass. Ridiculous, infectious and revelatory.

For something completely different, here's the Sonics at their most furious. I have no intention of trying "Strychnine", except when it comes on the stereo, in which case, you bet I'll grove. Seriously, as 60s garage freak-outs go, this can't be beat- ravaged vocals, raw guitars, grooving backbeats, and sheer shamelessness. The dancing in this video is pretty cool, too!

And finally, let's wind down with my favourite track off Electric Ladyland. I'll be honest and say that as impressive and inspiring as Hendrix the guitar god was, I'm more of a sucker for Hendrix the songwriter, because that's when the Experience sounded the most like a band of equals. Here's a composition that's pretty much perfect in what it sets out to be- Hendrix sounds at once vulnerable and defiant, which fits the song's melodic weirdness, not to mention that way that Redding and Mitchell match him all the way. This has more in common with the stuff on Axis than on the monumental double it's on, but either way, its insiduous melody teases and moves. Cool promo clip too.

It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Aug 2010, 07:36

Nice work, chaps!

The Louvins in color are a little scary, I admit, but what are you gonna do? Ignore it? Certainly not. Pop bluegrass at its best.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Aug 2010, 05:23

Why so many Americans?

[youtube]IzHLEakx6eQ&feature=related[/youtube]
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Oct 2010, 01:54

Courtesy of T-Berry!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Oct 2010, 03:27

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 11 Oct 2010, 03:29

Baron's near-future Million Dollar Jam:

;)
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 11 Oct 2010, 03:54

Nolamike wrote:Baron's near-future Million Dollar Jam:

;)

I remember visiting home (NOLA) in winter 1990 with two friends and going to see the Neville Brothers at Tipitina's. En route, the car radio was tuned to WTUL. A seemingly VERY drunk Ernie K Doe was guesting on the station, and - in addition to the DJ playing Doe's "medley of hit" about 4 times during a half hour - verifying the DJ's claim that Doe had literally found the song in Allen Toussaint's garbage can with gales of cackles and these very non-sequitorial drunken remarks about "I'll show YOU a garbage can" or somesuch...

One of the greats.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 12 Oct 2010, 15:42

(God)Zilla Mayes - All I Want Is You

Ignore the visuals and dig on a worthy, worthy obscurity. Easily a Million Dollar Jam, here, I think. What do you say?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 12 Oct 2010, 17:54

John San Juan wrote:

;)

I remember visiting home (NOLA) in winter 1990 with two friends and going to see the Neville Brothers at Tipitina's. En route, the car radio was tuned to WTUL. A seemingly VERY drunk Ernie K Doe was guesting on the station, and - in addition to the DJ playing Doe's "medley of hit" about 4 times during a half hour - verifying the DJ's claim that Doe had literally found the song in Allen Toussaint's garbage can with gales of cackles and these very non-sequitorial drunken remarks about "I'll show YOU a garbage can" or somesuch...

One of the greats.

:lol:

He also djed at WWOZ for a while, and they managed to keep recordings of him on air, which they'll play every now and then. Good stuff! :lol:

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 12 Oct 2010, 17:57

Nolamike wrote:
John San Juan wrote:

;)

One of the greats.

He also djed at WWOZ for a while, and they managed to keep recordings of him on air, which they'll play every now and then. Good stuff! :lol:

Actually, it makes more sense that he'd have been on OZ.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Oct 2010, 18:37

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 12 Oct 2010, 18:39

John San Juan wrote:
Nolamike wrote:
John San Juan wrote:

One of the greats.

Actually, it makes more sense that he'd have been on OZ.

Did you ever see him live? I saw him at Quintron's place once; it was Ernie, with a live drummer and a stereo. He played a CD of his songs, and the drummer played along, while Ernie, on mic, would sing some lines, and then skip other lines to brag about how great he sounded. Good times! :lol:

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 12 Oct 2010, 18:46

*cough*

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 12 Oct 2010, 22:35

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 13 Oct 2010, 18:16

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Oct 2010, 05:43

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 08 Nov 2010, 03:00

How all records should sound.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 08 Nov 2010, 03:10

Baron the Minx wrote:How all records should sound.

I believe we already have enough that do. That's the problem!
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Return to “Yakety Yak”