Baron's Million Dollar Jams

Do talk back
Nolamike

Re: Baron's Million Dollar Jams

Postby Nolamike » 24 Feb 2016, 14:47

Jam:

Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Feb 2016, 15:39

SAN ANTONIO NATIONAL ANTHEM!!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 23 Apr 2017, 19:08

Does any B&F set pay more dividends than the Yabby You double?
A nice companion to "Rivers of Babylon."

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 31 Aug 2017, 03:53

Bettye Swann, produced by Buck Owens (who sings a little harmony) in the early '70s. Didn't come out at the time (I wonder how much else they recorded?). A few years later she released another (very different) version of the song, and that wasn't bad, but this is the jam.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 31 Aug 2017, 04:04

:o

Nice work, Charlie O! I love the mixture of the wet electric piano with the arid country bass! And their voices, of course ...

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Sep 2017, 22:57

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Dec 2017, 16:50

Yesterday I was driving to San Antonio, playing Spirit In The Dark at top volume. It's easily one of Aretha Franklin's best LPs. And again, I was taken with "When The Battle Is Over," which is a fine exemplar of the virtues of the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section---the best in the biz. In the British parlance, it is absolutely storming. The drums and guitar are practically showing off. And Aretha is at the top of her game. What a record. When I came here to post this, I wasn't expecting my last post to also be an Aretha Franklin record. I get the sense that she's a little undervalued, really. People think of R-E-S-P-E-C-T and maybe "I Never Loved A Man," or "Natural Woman," but that's about it. She's given us so much more.

Return to “Yakety Yak”