13%
8%

Total votes: 24

Jon K

Re: Favorite DLR era Van Halen Record

Postby Jon K » 23 May 2008, 19:13

andymacandy wrote:
pig bodine wrote:
Jon K wrote:when Sammy Hagar came in to join the band I was quite happy about it :D

So was I at first. I thought the first Montrose album was the template for Van Halen and liked some of Hagar's solo material from the late 70's. I thought it would be a good match. How wrong I was--way too many ballads, and the rockers sounded generic and light.

A good match, but not Van Halen.
I really quite like 5150.It might even be better than 1984, and even though Hagar is a showman, (and he must have a sense of humour) he wasn't Dave.
A huge part of the magic of VH was Roth complementing Eddies virtuosity.

I know what you mean and to be fair after the first two albums with Sammy it was a pretty severe downhill slide. 5150 and OU812 were fine but F.U.C.K and Balance were not great albums although in comparison to the Van Halen III album with Gary Cherone they were masterpieces. I think they only had their first number one album with Sammy though. Strange as that may sound they never managed it with DLR in the band :D

K

Postby K » 23 May 2008, 19:20

I can't vote. They all kick ass!
Shit! I'm listening to Fools right now. How good is this?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 May 2008, 00:08

Bourgeois Socks wrote:Um...what were we talking about?

We were talking about how, as a 'fan' of the band, you don't care for Van Halen II, Fair Warning or 1984.

You sad little man.

the hesitant weasel

Postby the hesitant weasel » 24 May 2008, 02:11

"Take Your Whiskey Home". forget, this track will trip you fuck you and steal your wallet 8-)
' Tweaking the nose of pomposity since 1964'

my blog site: http://thequestforthegarstonkillerwhale.blogspot.com

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 24 May 2008, 16:51

Wilson Schmilson wrote:
Bourgeois Socks wrote:Um...what were we talking about?

We were talking about how, as a 'fan' of the band, you don't care for Van Halen II, Fair Warning or 1984.

You sad little man.

You worry about Matt, I'll worry about John.

Nice quotes on the word 'fan'.

Silly bastard.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 May 2008, 18:44

Bourgeois Socks wrote:You worry about Matt, I'll worry about John.

Silly bastard.

But that's just it--after this and your admission on the Scott thread about being a Walker fan I am more than a little concerned. Perhaps with the child and your recent shacking up with the fairer sex you've become slightly directionless in life, your musical taste being somewhat pointless.

Like a eunich at an orgy maybe.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 May 2008, 19:55

pig bodine wrote:I almost went for the second, even though it's too much of a "party" record because it has D.O.A., the best song they ever did on it. I ended up with Fair Warning, one-becasue I don't think it'll get any other votes, Two--Unchained is the second best thing they ever did, Three--It's their darkest, heaviest, least "good timey" album, Four--Instead of fret wankery, Eddie Van Halen earns his reputation on this one. Really, Any of the first 4 are great, and the next two have their moments.

I voted for the first album because 1) It's the only album I own by them, 2) Based on what I've heard over the years, it's the only one I could ever want to own 3) See Wilson's post except I was older than 13 when it came out so my dick didn't get hard listening to Eruption and I had graduated from my JC Penny stereo system. 4) There are enough great rock and roll songs on the album to label it a classic of its genre (LA R&R of the late 70s). When I took a trip down the southern coast of California a few years ago and made a stop in L.A. to see the boys down there I packed the VH cd because I wanted to listen to it loud while driving through the city. Nevermind that the wife didn't like the idea and I didn't get to do it.

Reading the Pig's post makes me want to investigate Fair Warning. I only have a vague recollection of hearing much of it when it was released, but I might have room for two VH albums in my collection.

Is there a version of this album to avoid or look for in particular? How does the vinyl sound?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 24 May 2008, 20:01

Wilson Schmilson wrote:
Bourgeois Socks wrote:You worry about Matt, I'll worry about John.

Silly bastard.

But that's just it--after this and your admission on the Scott thread about being a Walker fan I am more than a little concerned. Perhaps with the child and your recent shacking up with the fairer sex you've become slightly directionless in life, your musical taste being somewhat pointless.

Like a eunich at an orgy maybe.

God bless you if you genuinely believe every Van Halen album to be equal, but that is no position from which to hurl judgements about my musical taste.

Six String - the CD remasters of the VH catalog sound MIGHTY fine to these ears.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 May 2008, 21:39

Thanks! My copy of the first VH is a remaster and it does sound good, but I have nothing to compare it too.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Feb 2009, 01:34

I finally picked up Fair Warning and I like it. There's some ace guitar work on it and the songs and performance are classic VH. As others said on this thread, the first one is king but this one is damn good. Might I get curious and buy yet another VH album? If you had told me thirty years ago that I would have two VH albums in my collection I would have said no way. :)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”