Before you answer, yes, I place BCB opinion well ahead of general public's
Nobody's ferpect.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: David Bowie vs Neil Young

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:03

Davey the Fat Boy wrote::roll:

Yeah...Neil Young = Coldplay.

You're the one who's getting desperate and using the "millions like it" argument
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:04

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Goat Boy wrote: The effect is soporific and I don't hear any variations that actually induce the transcendence you describe.

I don’t think your inability to discern should be held against the song.

Of course, it's me! Not the song!

Did ya hear that BCB? It's YOU!

Davey, PLEASE SHOW ME THE WAY
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:12

Osgood wrote:Probably it's not the right moment, but I'd bet a poll on NY songs here would place Helpless out of the top 20.

With a catalogue of songs as strong as Young's, it'd be a damned shame if this didn't happen.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:37

Goat Boy wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote::roll:

Yeah...Neil Young = Coldplay.

You're the one who's getting desperate and using the "millions like it" argument

No dummy.

You made the completely baseless “and fails utterly” argument.

It’s pretty obvious that Helpless isn’t an utter failure. It is one of the most beloved songs in one of the most admired artist’s canon. Why are we even talking in the realm of “failure” or dishonesty suggesting that folks who like it might have a Coldplay-like blind spot?

As always in the hallowed halls of BCB, one thing must be declared utterly valueless in order for the other to be properly heralded. Especially when compared to David Fucking Bowie.

One thing I haven’t done on this thread (or the other one it inspired) was suggest that Bowie or LOM was anything less than great. I’m not the desperate one here. I even voted for Bowie on this thread!!!

We are talking within the ballpark of great artists and great songs here. That much ought to be conceded by all as an ante-in. Then if you want to pick at a song like Helpless from a “is it really all THAT great” perspective - that’s fine. Just as I’ll reserve the right to tell you why Life on Mars leaves me a little colder than most here.

But I don’t really have any useful responses to the utterly stupid suggestion that Helpless is a bad song. I’ve got to regard anyone who’d advance that argument the way you’d regard a Coldplay fan..as someone.lacking too many critical faculties to be worth bothering with.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:48

Osgood wrote:Before you answer, yes, I place BCB opinion well ahead of general public's

Which general public? The folks who buy Ed Sheeran records, or Neil Young fans? I’d put folks here above the first group, but not necessarily above the second. There is a lot quesionable taste here.

Dr. E. PLATE wrote:
Osgood wrote:Probably it's not the right moment, but I'd bet a poll on NY songs here would place Helpless out of the top 20.

With a catalogue of songs as strong as Young's, it'd be a damned shame if this didn't happen.

It would surely happen today...now that Helpless is the official anti-Bowie song of the day. But I posted a few links to “best Neil Young songs” lists, and it placed highly on all.

BCB’s antipathy for “brown” music isn’t shared by all. Nothing on this board will ever be more highly regarded than David “Jazz Hands” Bowie.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:52

:lol:

Don't let it worry you, D.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 16 Nov 2017, 10:56

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Osgood wrote:Before you answer, yes, I place BCB opinion well ahead of general public's

Which general public? The folks who buy Ed Sheeran records, or Neil Young fans? I’d put folks here above the first group, but not necessarily above the second. There is a lot quesionable taste here.

I was talking about the first group. I consider myself a NY fan, voted for NY here, but certainly I would never place Helpless in the top 20 of his songs. In fact I find all this discussion about a pretty forgettable song rather surrealistic.
Nobody's ferpect.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:56

It’s supposed to induce a feeling of fragility and transcendence. It uses repitition and subtle musical variations to do this.

It fails utterly to induce transcendence yes.

Of course your argument isn’t completely baseless because you’re Davey and we are not worthy. It’s all opinions man.

Quoting some rolling stone poll or a classic rock forum to back up your claims about millions of people liking it is hilarious.

It’s a minor Neil Young song. I don’t hate it but it doesn’t do what you claim it does and that’s my point. You’re the one making the big claims here and looking rather isolated and sad as a result.

But do carry on, Davey, you patronising sad sack of over inflated shit.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:57

Dr. E. PLATE wrote::lol:

I'm just delighted Davey climbed down from his GOLDEN THRONE to talk to a peasant like me.

*sigh*

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:59

Jazz Hands!!!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 11:02

Goat Boy wrote:

I'm just delighted Davey climbed down from his GOLDEN THRONE to talk to a peasant like me.

*sigh*

As you should be. Sadly the experience was an utter failure for me given your weak showing.

And now...back to my golden throne!!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 11:06

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 11:19

You look tired and flatulent GB.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 11:25

HO HO HO HO

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2017, 17:18

I think you’ve lost this one D old bean.

Concede defeat and we’ll all respect you in the morning :)

I thought he was winning.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Nov 2017, 17:20

I didn't think it would be this close. Bowie is the obvious answer.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Return to “Yakety Yak”