Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 10 Oct 2018, 03:22

We went to see Killing Joke a couple of weeks ago at a smallish venue - around 800. I had never seen them before and didn't really know what to expect live. I was also worried that it would be rather top heavy with newer material, which I don't care for at all. I'm glad to report they were really on form - menacing and funky - and that I had my first go in an American mosh pit and lived to tell the tale. I only went down a couple of times and was lifted up by people who looked at least thirty years my junior. :lol:

On Friday, we saw Paul McCartney at ACL. He was the only thing we bought tickets for - I recognised only about four other names from whole weekend. I don't have much to say about his performance as such, which was enjoyable but still lacking in that something that totally does it for Baron. I am really glad I saw him, and it was really poignant to see him a little slowed, but he had a whale of a time and the band was tight.

Regular readers may remember that I don't really care much for The Beatles and that still holds true. By that, I mean that I have never been moved by them - I like their songs well enough and I can see great musicians for what they are and great songwriting for what it is and all that, but something has never "clicked" in me about them the way that so many other acts have. And it's odd, because I grew up listening to them as much as any other rampaging icons (Stones, Bowie, Who, Floyd) but they never settled into my brain. During the McCartney show I really enjoyed some of the Wings stuff and started reading about the making of Band on the Run, and just holding Baron's copy and looking at it all, and then played it and went head over heels nutso for it. I mean head over fucking heels. I immediately "got it". I was hearing not just the album, but seeing the studio, feeling the stories, listening to all the instruments on their own and feeling very transported back to an event as opposed to just listening to an album. This happens to me every so often from time to time, I'll get an album (usually something I have never heard in its entirety or something new) and I cant stop listening. (Hitchcock's" Eye", Moondog's "German Years" ) If you had told me that this would be the year I would understand Wings, I would have laughed at you. But fucking hell, what an album. I just love it. The piano on Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five sets me alight. Mental.

Anyway I think the husband is quite pleased. Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Oct 2018, 14:53

Back from Asagiri Jam, the autumn version of Fuji Rock. I already said what I thought of Yo La Tengo but the second night's headliner was John Butler Trio. Butler is a guitar whiz and does Hendrix-style well, but when he tries to be more pop than rock he is just so-so.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

TG

Postby TG » 10 Oct 2018, 18:54

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:We went to see Killing Joke a couple of weeks ago at a smallish venue - around 800. I had never seen them before and didn't really know what to expect live. I was also worried that it would be rather top heavy with newer material, which I don't care for at all. I'm glad to report they were really on form - menacing and funky - and that I had my first go in an American mosh pit and lived to tell the tale. I only went down a couple of times and was lifted up by people who looked at least thirty years my junior. :lol:

On Friday, we saw Paul McCartney at ACL. He was the only thing we bought tickets for - I recognised only about four other names from whole weekend. I don't have much to say about his performance as such, which was enjoyable but still lacking in that something that totally does it for Baron. I am really glad I saw him, and it was really poignant to see him a little slowed, but he had a whale of a time and the band was tight.

Regular readers may remember that I don't really care much for The Beatles and that still holds true. By that, I mean that I have never been moved by them - I like their songs well enough and I can see great musicians for what they are and great songwriting for what it is and all that, but something has never "clicked" in me about them the way that so many other acts have. And it's odd, because I grew up listening to them as much as any other rampaging icons (Stones, Bowie, Who, Floyd) but they never settled into my brain. During the McCartney show I really enjoyed some of the Wings stuff and started reading about the making of Band on the Run, and just holding Baron's copy and looking at it all, and then played it and went head over heels nutso for it. I mean head over fucking heels. I immediately "got it". I was hearing not just the album, but seeing the studio, feeling the stories, listening to all the instruments on their own and feeling very transported back to an event as opposed to just listening to an album. This happens to me every so often from time to time, I'll get an album (usually something I have never heard in its entirety or something new) and I cant stop listening. (Hitchcock's" Eye", Moondog's "German Years" ) If you had told me that this would be the year I would understand Wings, I would have laughed at you. But fucking hell, what an album. I just love it. The piano on Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five sets me alight. Mental.

Anyway I think the husband is quite pleased. Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

Oh, that’s interesting Anna, you have so much to discover. ;)
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 10 Oct 2018, 19:03

:D

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 10 Oct 2018, 20:50

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:We went to see Killing Joke a couple of weeks ago at a smallish venue - around 800. I had never seen them before and didn't really know what to expect live. I was also worried that it would be rather top heavy with newer material, which I don't care for at all. I'm glad to report they were really on form - menacing and funky - and that I had my first go in an American mosh pit and lived to tell the tale. I only went down a couple of times and was lifted up by people who looked at least thirty years my junior. :lol:

You are dead to me.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 10 Oct 2018, 21:07

Jumper K wrote:

You are dead to me.

I can’t believe she’s revealed this whole Killing Joke thing. They’re an absolute disaster.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 19 Oct 2018, 04:35

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:

nice write up went last year and while I'm a big Beatles fan never cared for Paul solo much except the first two albums. However, enjoyed the whole show.
Front row at Neil Young and Promise of the Real at the Capital Theatre, NY 9/27/18
Best of 2017 - Non Concert

Best of 2017 - Concert

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 19 Oct 2018, 11:04

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote: Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

Have you made any headway down there, squeezing past the little lambs, frogs, dragonflies....

Here's something to get your teeth in to:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-144927
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 19 Oct 2018, 16:20

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Nick?? Dougie?? wrote: Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

Have you made any headway down there, squeezing past the little lambs, frogs, dragonflies....

Here's something to get your teeth in to:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-144927

Oooooooh!

The rabbit hole was nice. Warm. Comfy. Musty.

Dr Markus wrote: