Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
hookfinger

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby hookfinger » 28 May 2015, 14:51

Nice review of the Mac show. I wanted to see him in Philly but saw Minus 5/Baseball Project locally that night.

Do you know if Franklin Bruno is playing with the Mt. Goats?

Saw JSBX last night. Their lps have had diminishing returns but the live show is always a corker and last night was no exception. Much enjoyed by the perhaps 75 people who came out.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Qube

Postby Qube » 28 May 2015, 19:04

I don't think he is but I could be wrong!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 04 Jun 2015, 06:53

Tinariwen at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester this evening.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 04 Jun 2015, 07:00

Tomorrow night, MAGMA.

And tonight was the night and the show was fantastic. I give MAGMA live my heartiest recommendation. Three singers, one male, two not male, all opera-trained, a vibraphonist, a Fender Rhodes player, a really fine bassist, a killer guitarist and easily one of best drummers around. This guy didn't just keep the beat he punctuated the long compositions with commas, parentheses, dashes, semi-colons, ellipses, exclamation points, such variety. Shades of Yes, Zappa, King Crimson and the Swingle Singers. (My wife thought Manhattan Transfer. :D ) If you have a chance see them. A+.
Question authority.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Jun 2015, 16:23

Sepultura last night in Mcallen, Sonics Sunday night in Austin.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Jun 2015, 23:56

Hans Joachim Irmler & Jaki Liebezit.

Fucking brilliant.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 15 Jun 2015, 11:57

I say, chaps and ladies. This thread represents an enormous part of what this board is about and yet it the fastest sinker on the board. It would be nice IMO if you had seen the same acts at one point or another or just had a comment that you'd chime in. Thanks.
Question authority.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 17 Jun 2015, 17:42

Blur on Saturday, Taylor Swift the week after.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Sep 2015, 18:28

I wish I had time to write much more about last night's Kraftwerk gig but we just don't have the time this weekend. It really was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen or heard.

The above clip found it's way onto you tube already, with a bit of a comp. That was filmed pretty much from where we were sat

Someone filmed all the encore where the curtain went up to the robots:

super.

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 27 Sep 2015, 09:04

Jah Wobble a week ago and PiL last Tuesday. Hawkwind (ish) this Saturday.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 27 Sep 2015, 12:09

Jimbo wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Jeff Beck and ZZ Top at the Cynthia Woods Pavilion, Houston, TX, last Saturday night. The weather was gorgeous.Beck and his band sounded great. They played a set heavy on the blues/soul/rock side, playing stuff like "Morning Dew," "I'm Going Down," "Superstition," "A Change is Gonna Come." Jeff never said a word to the audience. He's still right on top of his game, musically and looks good doing it.

So impressed was I by your description I went on a Jeff Beck used album scrounge and came up with this live album

and this package deal.

Listening to the live one now and to be honest the recording is kind of tinny and bootleg-ish but it does have what excited me about your review: all the old songs played recently.

This is the live album you need, the latest one..

Nothing tinny about this recording, top notch if Jeff Beck's your thing.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Oct 2015, 23:23

Van Halen at The Woodlands, TX, the Friday before last. Pretty amazing. DLR seemed to be struggling a bit on the vocals, but made up for it with his showmanship and surprised me by addressing the audience in Spanish.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Oct 2015, 11:11

One of the better pieces of writing that I dare to think I've contributed to BCB over the years was inspired by a Marianne Faithfull concert at the Pigalle in London about 10 years ago. Yesterday, I saw her again for the first time since then, this time in the Pigalle area of Paris, and I was reminded of what made that evening so special. She has, for want of a better word, an incredible aura that consumes the room, and even if everything is probably quite stage-managed and choreographed there is a real sense that pretty much anything can happen. Last time she had just recovered from breast cancer, this time she's had a whole series of health and family issues, and came out with a cane and sat down for significant parts of the concert.

There is one major difference to when I saw her 10 years ago. Then, her backing group seemed pretty haphazard, or perhaps that is unfair as her main guitarist fell ill and left the stage midway through the concert. Either way, this time around she has an astonishing backing band that included Ed Harcourt and Warren Ellis. And Christ, Warren Ellis was on form - it struck me that while I do like some of the stuff he brings with Nick Cave, and I was a fan of Dirty Three going back even further, I'd never appreciated the tone that he gets out of his violin until yesterday. What he brought to songs like Deepwater, The Ballad of Lucy Jordan, Love More or Less and an awesome rendition of Wilder Shores of Love was out of this world and it brought the house down. And he seemed genuinely happy which I'm not sure I've seen before, as if he knew he was on fire, and had a fantastic rapport with Faithfull.

I was very disappointed and surprised that she didn't bring out the main song from her latest album - her collaboration with Anna Calvi - but it's impossible to ask for more when for an encore she did a stunning acappella rendition of Love is Teasing - not sure I've ever seen anything quite like it.

Voice like a frog, still, but what a frog.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 08 Oct 2015, 12:33

Seeing Steve Hackett on Tuesday. Always good value.
“Erratic associate member”

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Oct 2015, 00:44

Tonight it is Los Lobos with Alejandro Escovedo opening. A dream concert in my mind. Thirty minutes from my door too which is a real plus at my age.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Oct 2015, 19:00

Steely Dan, The Beacon Theatre, New York City

The "feature" of Tuesday night's performance (one in a series of eight shows) was the album Aja in its entirety, which I don't think I knew when I bought the tickets. The performances were a satisfying mix of faithfulness to the arrangements without slavish copying.

Walter didn't have much to do - I suspect he didn't actually play much on the album - and just played along quietly during the segment. After that, he became more animated and involved - enough so to deliver a couple of rambling monologues - although both he and Donald left the heavy lifting to the hotshots in the band. The guitar player in particular was VERY good, although he had one foot on in showboating territory.

They continued with, roughly,

Bhoddisatva
Hey, Nineteen
Black Friday
Time Out of Mind
Show Biz Kids
Dirty Work (vox shared by the girl backup singers, a melismatic mess, sadly)
Babylon Sisters

Daddy Don't Live in that New York City No More (natch)/a cover song I didn't recognize/band introductions - Walter sang Daddy and delivered the intros. I suppose this is the segment where Donald has to rest his voice. Walter is not much of a singer.

My Old School
Reelin' in the Years
----
Kid Charlemagne

They were old (both) and fat (Walter) and missing teeth (Donald) and they dress like total slobs (sweatpants, really?) but they put on a damn good show.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 15 Oct 2015, 19:43

Neil Jung wrote:Seeing Steve Hackett on Tuesday. Always good value.

Yes, I agree. The lack of Genesis-esque singer has never really bothered me as much as others. The soaring guitar lines are still worth the price of a ticket.

I saw Squeeze a couple of weeks ago, and I'm coming round to the idea that Glen Tilbrook is one of our finest songwriters.They really were absolutely excellent.
Bless the weather.......Image

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 15 Oct 2015, 21:34

andymacandy wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:Seeing Steve Hackett on Tuesday. Always good value.

Yes, I agree. The lack of Genesis-esque singer has never really bothered me as much as others. The soaring guitar lines are still worth the price of a ticket.

I saw Squeeze a couple of weeks ago, and I'm coming round to the idea that Glen Tilbrook is one of our finest songwriters.They really were absolutely excellent.

He does have a Gabriel-esque singer for the Genesis songs. Nad Sylvan is charismatic (in an idiosyncratic way) and delivers Peter's vocals with considerable verve and aplomb.
“Erratic associate member”

savoirefaire
Location: formerly pore of sin...ga!, way of nor and currently pan of Ja!

Postby savoirefaire » 13 Nov 2015, 14:42

I saw Todd Terje and the Olsens last night. It was a short one but really sensational. It's the type of dance music I can abide.
Kid P wrote:*Deleted*
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2015, 08:22

Roddy Frame at Cadogan Hall last night.....acoustic, just him, three different guitars, a mic and a small p.a.

It's the fourth time I've seen him in the past five years or so - every one a delight. Great songs (spanning his whole career with Aztec Camera and solo) and, man, the boy can play guitar!

What a beautiful venue too.... less than a minute from Sloane Square tube.... 900 beautiful seats..... this was my exact view...

Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Return to “Yakety Yak”