Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Neil Jung » 08 Oct 2015, 12:33

Seeing Steve Hackett on Tuesday. Always good value.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Oct 2015, 00:44

Tonight it is Los Lobos with Alejandro Escovedo opening. A dream concert in my mind. Thirty minutes from my door too which is a real plus at my age.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Oct 2015, 19:00

Steely Dan, The Beacon Theatre, New York City

The "feature" of Tuesday night's performance (one in a series of eight shows) was the album Aja in its entirety, which I don't think I knew when I bought the tickets. The performances were a satisfying mix of faithfulness to the arrangements without slavish copying.

Walter didn't have much to do - I suspect he didn't actually play much on the album - and just played along quietly during the segment. After that, he became more animated and involved - enough so to deliver a couple of rambling monologues - although both he and Donald left the heavy lifting to the hotshots in the band. The guitar player in particular was VERY good, although he had one foot on in showboating territory.

They continued with, roughly,

Bhoddisatva
Hey, Nineteen
Black Friday
Time Out of Mind
Show Biz Kids
Dirty Work (vox shared by the girl backup singers, a melismatic mess, sadly)
Babylon Sisters

Daddy Don't Live in that New York City No More (natch)/a cover song I didn't recognize/band introductions - Walter sang Daddy and delivered the intros. I suppose this is the segment where Donald has to rest his voice. Walter is not much of a singer.

My Old School
Reelin' in the Years
----
Kid Charlemagne

They were old (both) and fat (Walter) and missing teeth (Donald) and they dress like total slobs (sweatpants, really?) but they put on a damn good show.
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 15 Oct 2015, 19:43

Neil Jung wrote:Seeing Steve Hackett on Tuesday. Always good value.

Yes, I agree. The lack of Genesis-esque singer has never really bothered me as much as others. The soaring guitar lines are still worth the price of a ticket.

I saw Squeeze a couple of weeks ago, and I'm coming round to the idea that Glen Tilbrook is one of our finest songwriters.They really were absolutely excellent.
Bless the weather.......Image

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 15 Oct 2015, 21:34

andymacandy wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:Seeing Steve Hackett on Tuesday. Always good value.

Yes, I agree. The lack of Genesis-esque singer has never really bothered me as much as others. The soaring guitar lines are still worth the price of a ticket.

I saw Squeeze a couple of weeks ago, and I'm coming round to the idea that Glen Tilbrook is one of our finest songwriters.They really were absolutely excellent.

He does have a Gabriel-esque singer for the Genesis songs. Nad Sylvan is charismatic (in an idiosyncratic way) and delivers Peter's vocals with considerable verve and aplomb.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

savoirefaire
Location: formerly pore of sin...ga!, way of nor and currently pan of Ja!

Postby savoirefaire » 13 Nov 2015, 14:42

I saw Todd Terje and the Olsens last night. It was a short one but really sensational. It's the type of dance music I can abide.
Kid P wrote:*Deleted*
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2015, 08:22

Roddy Frame at Cadogan Hall last night.....acoustic, just him, three different guitars, a mic and a small p.a.

It's the fourth time I've seen him in the past five years or so - every one a delight. Great songs (spanning his whole career with Aztec Camera and solo) and, man, the boy can play guitar!

What a beautiful venue too.... less than a minute from Sloane Square tube.... 900 beautiful seats..... this was my exact view...

Romani ite domum

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 18 Dec 2015, 14:57

Yo La Tengo - O East, Shibuya, Tokyo

I was never a fan. Unimpressed with their "experimental" tag I wouldn't have gone if not for the free tickets but hey... It turned out to be one of the least experimental live shows I have ever seen. I had to assume their "experiment" was how to have a minimalistic band and a full and satisfying sound. And it was quite enjoyable. Very fey and mellow, playing lots of oldies and covers including "This Diamond Ring" and "I'm Your Puppet," with an ace guitarist in the James Burton role, their sound had shades of Belle and Sebastian and The Go-Betweens. It was a show I could take my grandmother to (if she were alive).

I love you.

Qube

Postby Qube » 24 Dec 2015, 19:27

Rounded out the year by seeing New Model Army in Amsterdam. 125 for the year, not bad, but down on previous two years (155, 147), shame on me!

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 11 Feb 2016, 14:16

Just got tickets to see Sunn O))) at a decomissioned generating station on June 10th. I'm feeling slightly apprehensive about this one...
Might need to stock up on earplugs.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 12 Feb 2016, 07:44

Richard Activity wrote:Just got tickets to see Sunn O))) at a decomissioned generating station on June 10th. I'm feeling slightly apprehensive about this one...

Or a diaper.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Feb 2016, 08:08

Jumper K wrote:
Richard Activity wrote:Just got tickets to see Sunn O))) at a decomissioned generating station on June 10th. I'm feeling slightly apprehensive about this one...

Or a diaper.

And some sunscreen?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Mar 2016, 18:46

Just back from seeing Tweedy which is a Wilco-less Jeff Tweedy plus his very smart looking son on drums, a bassist, a pianist/guitarist, a lead guitarist and a female backup singer. Jeff sings and plays a mean acoustic guitar and some electric. Most of the songs were from a new album with Jeff and his son. Soft-ish alt country stuff with smart lyrics. Then Jeff plays alone singing Wilco songs which amazingly the Japanese audience sang with along word for word but softly so it sounded very nice. Tweedy is a modest and unaffected musician with a shitload of songs to sing, and all have something to say, especially about love and relationships. B+
I love you.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 31 Mar 2016, 19:10

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I saw Magma on Sunday night. About eight to ten minutes into their opening number, the bass started having problems with his amp and the performance crashed to a halt. Stella Vander made some nervous excuses while they tried to sort out the problem. After several nervous minutes, they started again from the top. At almost the same place the equipment guy ran out again to the bass player's amp. I was thinking "oh shit," but fortunately there were no more equipment failures.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Nit Picking Prick
funky thigh collector

Postby Nit Picking Prick » 23 Apr 2016, 16:35

We went to see Duran Duran last night. It was a really gorgeous evening and we were sat on the sunny sloping lawn at the back. It's the usual stuff with them - the old and older stuff sounds absolutely amazing, and the newer stuff just doesn't register but they deliver with high glam and pomp. They did a very sweet tribute to Prince and the high tower at the back was lit purple. Halfway through Planet Earth their backdrop had a picture of the cover of Space Oddity on it and they slid gently into that which was very lovely. The remnants of Chic were supporting and they had done Let's Dance which was a good time to get grooving.
The sound was great for an outside venue (it was at the circuit of the Americas racetrack) and because we were at the back there was a lot of dancing which cheered me up no end. Going to a show and not dancing if you can seems to be odd to me, unless you're going to see Laurie Anderson or Beethoven.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 24 Apr 2016, 23:34

I'm planning on seeing Peter Murphy here in town this Friday. Haven't heard any of his solo work, but it should be interesting.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 27 Apr 2016, 14:04

I saw Neil Young last night. He's back on tour with "Promise of the Real" as his backing band---two of Willie Nelson's kids are in it. I wasn't going to go for a whole host of reasons, but I'm VERY glad I did. Looks like they toured together last year and, based on what little I've read, this tour appears to have picked up where the last one left off.

I saw the Ragged Glory tour and it was a formative experience for me. I haven't seen him since for the reasons I almost didn't go to this show---too expensive, not playing with the Horse, outdoor venue, blah blah blah.

Vague spoilers ahead: He starts out doing a handful of classic solo Neil, on piano, guitar, and pump organ. Then the band comes on and they do some mellow Harvest/Harvest Moon/Comes a Time stuff. Then he straps on the big white guitar (is it the Falcon?) and they start rocking a bit more expansively. Last night they played a very far out "Words" (I think). I think they changed their plans and he immediately strapped on Old Black and it was away to the races. They played MANY very far out, extended Crazy Horse-y mind melting (dare I say) jams. "Down By The River," a few from Ragged Glory, a few from On the Beach (!), etc. (and a few new gadfly Neil tunes that rocked enough). He played for nearly three hours. The backing band handled it all very capably, and the third guitarist added some (mostly) welcome extra-psychedelic guitar.

Edit: I should add that Willie showed up, but it was a foregone conclusion that he would and it was no surprise as Trigger was on the stage at the beginning of the show. They did two songs, including a funny "Okie from Muskogee," which was amusing given the constant, nearly overwhelming clouds of Expensive Pot Smoke. I should really see Willie properly before he croaks. It was the first show of the tour and NY was (it seemed to me) very gregarious, in a good mood, happy to be there, etc.

I would write more but I'm typing on my phone on the way to work. He's coming to the UK. Pay the money.
Last edited by Still Baron on 27 Apr 2016, 16:43, edited 2 times in total.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 27 Apr 2016, 15:44

Tonight Yes.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Apr 2016, 16:21

Cobbler Bob wrote:
I would write more but I'm typing on my phone on the way to work. He's coming to the UK. Pay the money.

I did 8-)
Copehead wrote:I was helping out the victims of virtue signaling in the Ghettos before this was even an issue in the wider world.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 28 Apr 2016, 03:06

Last night, Yes.

They played all of Drama and Fragile, plus Time and a Word, Don't Kill the Whale, Owner of a Lonely Heart and Starship Trooper. Billy Sherwood pulled off the near impossible, chanelling Chris Squire and playing fantastic bass all the way through plus singing backing vocals.

I get the reasons that some will hold against this line up. However they played a great show, looked to be enjoying playing and respecting their back catalogue.

Next up Kamasi Washington....
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.