Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Jimbo

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jimbo » 05 May 2015, 14:42

Hugh Cornwell (trio) Not a particular Stranglers fan, I and M went anyway and we were not disappointed. A small venue with a low turnout where he played some of his newer solo songs with a good deal of Stranglers hits. I could tell they were Stranglers songs by the way the overwhelming number of audience members would react and then not react when he played a newer song. But his voice was strong and his drummer and bassist top notch. Can't say I'd be a fan starting now but I enjoyed the show. My wife was disappointed he didn't play "Golden Brown." B
Last edited by Jimbo on 05 May 2015, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
I love you.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 May 2015, 15:28

Jeff Beck and ZZ Top at the Cynthia Woods Pavilion, Houston, TX, last Saturday night. The weather was gorgeous.Beck and his band sounded great. They played a set heavy on the blues/soul/rock side, playing stuff like "Morning Dew," "I'm Going Down," "Superstition," "A Change is Gonna Come." Jeff never said a word to the audience. He's still right on top of his game, musically and looks good doing it. ZZ Top show was a disappointment. Sound was loud, monolithic and muddy, vocals indistinct at times, no dynamics. You could only hear the bass drum and snare so a lot of the inherent funk and groove was lost. Worse, it was just a generic rock show, MTV hits, giant screens showing a bunch of distracting MTV style video, few surprises in the set besides the radio hits. They could have been ZZ Top automatons up there and I couldn't have told the difference. Fortunately I was mainly interested in seeing Beck and ZZ Top was just gravy in this deal.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 05 May 2015, 19:17

Jimbo wrote:Hugh Cornwell (trio) Not a particular Stranglers fan, I and M went anyway and we were not disappointed. A small venue with a low turnout where he played some of his newer solo songs with a good deal of Stranglers hits. I could tell they were Stranglers songs by the way the overwhelming number of audience members would react and then not react when he played a newer song. But his voice was strong and his drummer and bassist top notch. Can't say I'd be a fan starting now but I enjoyed the show. My wife was disappointed he didn't play "Golden Brown." B

Is Hugh's bass player still the guy that looks like Tom Jones?
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 May 2015, 22:46

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Hugh Cornwell (trio) Not a particular Stranglers fan, I and M went anyway and we were not disappointed. A small venue with a low turnout where he played some of his newer solo songs with a good deal of Stranglers hits. I could tell they were Stranglers songs by the way the overwhelming number of audience members would react and then not react when he played a newer song. But his voice was strong and his drummer and bassist top notch. Can't say I'd be a fan starting now but I enjoyed the show. My wife was disappointed he didn't play "Golden Brown." B

Is Hugh's bass player still the guy that looks like Tom Jones?

Yeah, a pudgier Tom Jones, a tall guy with a pile of curly hair and sideburns. And he did a good job but the drummer was extra good. He used to play for the Posies, whoever they are.
I love you.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 May 2015, 09:04

pcqgod wrote:Jeff Beck and ZZ Top at the Cynthia Woods Pavilion, Houston, TX, last Saturday night. The weather was gorgeous.Beck and his band sounded great. They played a set heavy on the blues/soul/rock side, playing stuff like "Morning Dew," "I'm Going Down," "Superstition," "A Change is Gonna Come." Jeff never said a word to the audience. He's still right on top of his game, musically and looks good doing it.

So impressed was I by your description I went on a Jeff Beck used album scrounge and came up with this live album

and this package deal.

Listening to the live one now and to be honest the recording is kind of tinny and bootleg-ish but it does have what excited me about your review: all the old songs played recently.
I love you.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 May 2015, 21:29

Jimbo wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Jeff Beck and ZZ Top at the Cynthia Woods Pavilion, Houston, TX, last Saturday night. The weather was gorgeous.Beck and his band sounded great. They played a set heavy on the blues/soul/rock side, playing stuff like "Morning Dew," "I'm Going Down," "Superstition," "A Change is Gonna Come." Jeff never said a word to the audience. He's still right on top of his game, musically and looks good doing it.

So impressed was I by your description I went on a Jeff Beck used album scrounge and came up with this live album

and this package deal.

Listening to the live one now and to be honest the recording is kind of tinny and bootleg-ish but it does have what excited me about your review: all the old songs played recently.

He has a brand new live album out. I think today was the US release date? I have the Original Albums set with all his albums from 'Truth' to the live album with the Jan Hammer Group.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 28 May 2015, 14:51

Nice review of the Mac show. I wanted to see him in Philly but saw Minus 5/Baseball Project locally that night.

Do you know if Franklin Bruno is playing with the Mt. Goats?

Saw JSBX last night. Their lps have had diminishing returns but the live show is always a corker and last night was no exception. Much enjoyed by the perhaps 75 people who came out.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Qube

Postby Qube » 28 May 2015, 19:04

I don't think he is but I could be wrong!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 04 Jun 2015, 06:53

Tinariwen at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester this evening.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 04 Jun 2015, 07:00

Tomorrow night, MAGMA.

And tonight was the night and the show was fantastic. I give MAGMA live my heartiest recommendation. Three singers, one male, two not male, all opera-trained, a vibraphonist, a Fender Rhodes player, a really fine bassist, a killer guitarist and easily one of best drummers around. This guy didn't just keep the beat he punctuated the long compositions with commas, parentheses, dashes, semi-colons, ellipses, exclamation points, such variety. Shades of Yes, Zappa, King Crimson and the Swingle Singers. (My wife thought Manhattan Transfer. :D ) If you have a chance see them. A+.
I love you.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Jun 2015, 16:23

Sepultura last night in Mcallen, Sonics Sunday night in Austin.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 14 Jun 2015, 23:56

Hans Joachim Irmler & Jaki Liebezit.

Fucking brilliant.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 15 Jun 2015, 11:57

I say, chaps and ladies. This thread represents an enormous part of what this board is about and yet it the fastest sinker on the board. It would be nice IMO if you had seen the same acts at one point or another or just had a comment that you'd chime in. Thanks.
I love you.

Conrad Knight Socks
Poptastic

Postby Conrad Knight Socks » 17 Jun 2015, 17:42

Blur on Saturday, Taylor Swift the week after.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

^^^^^ great post. Thank you.
funky thigh collector

Postby ^^^^^ great post. Thank you. » 26 Sep 2015, 18:28

I wish I had time to write much more about last night's Kraftwerk gig but we just don't have the time this weekend. It really was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen or heard.

The above clip found it's way onto you tube already, with a bit of a comp. That was filmed pretty much from where we were sat

Someone filmed all the encore where the curtain went up to the robots:

super.

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 27 Sep 2015, 09:04

Jah Wobble a week ago and PiL last Tuesday. Hawkwind (ish) this Saturday.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 27 Sep 2015, 12:09

Jimbo wrote:

and this package deal.

This is the live album you need, the latest one..

Nothing tinny about this recording, top notch if Jeff Beck's your thing.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Oct 2015, 23:23

Van Halen at The Woodlands, TX, the Friday before last. Pretty amazing. DLR seemed to be struggling a bit on the vocals, but made up for it with his showmanship and surprised me by addressing the audience in Spanish.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Oct 2015, 11:11

One of the better pieces of writing that I dare to think I've contributed to BCB over the years was inspired by a Marianne Faithfull concert at the Pigalle in London about 10 years ago. Yesterday, I saw her again for the first time since then, this time in the Pigalle area of Paris, and I was reminded of what made that evening so special. She has, for want of a better word, an incredible aura that consumes the room, and even if everything is probably quite stage-managed and choreographed there is a real sense that pretty much anything can happen. Last time she had just recovered from breast cancer, this time she's had a whole series of health and family issues, and came out with a cane and sat down for significant parts of the concert.

There is one major difference to when I saw her 10 years ago. Then, her backing group seemed pretty haphazard, or perhaps that is unfair as her main guitarist fell ill and left the stage midway through the concert. Either way, this time around she has an astonishing backing band that included Ed Harcourt and Warren Ellis. And Christ, Warren Ellis was on form - it struck me that while I do like some of the stuff he brings with Nick Cave, and I was a fan of Dirty Three going back even further, I'd never appreciated the tone that he gets out of his violin until yesterday. What he brought to songs like Deepwater, The Ballad of Lucy Jordan, Love More or Less and an awesome rendition of Wilder Shores of Love was out of this world and it brought the house down. And he seemed genuinely happy which I'm not sure I've seen before, as if he knew he was on fire, and had a fantastic rapport with Faithfull.

I was very disappointed and surprised that she didn't bring out the main song from her latest album - her collaboration with Anna Calvi - but it's impossible to ask for more when for an encore she did a stunning acappella rendition of Love is Teasing - not sure I've ever seen anything quite like it.

Voice like a frog, still, but what a frog.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Yakety Yak”