Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
User avatar
billy
A pound
Posts: 1373
Joined: 19 Aug 2014, 23:47
Location: Dulag luft

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby billy » 06 Mar 2015, 09:19

Jimbo wrote:A dream came true tonight. Richard Thompson. Just him and a bassist and a drummer and that's all he needed to put on an amazing show. And I was sitting 20 feet from the stage. Lots and lots of electric guitar and 1952 Vincent Black Lightening on acoustic. Amazing!


Hey Jimbo, you grouchy dude ;)

Was that the thursday night or the friday night?

Image
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13129
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jimbo » 07 Mar 2015, 09:53

billy wrote:
Jimbo wrote:A dream came true tonight. Richard Thompson. Just him and a bassist and a drummer and that's all he needed to put on an amazing show. And I was sitting 20 feet from the stage. Lots and lots of electric guitar and 1952 Vincent Black Lightening on acoustic. Amazing!


Hey Jimbo, you grouchy dude ;)

Was that the thursday night or the friday night?


Thursday. You gonna tell me you were there?
I love you.

User avatar
billy
A pound
Posts: 1373
Joined: 19 Aug 2014, 23:47
Location: Dulag luft

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby billy » 07 Mar 2015, 20:34

Jimbo wrote:Thursday. You gonna tell me you were there?


Yep. I was the guy tickling you under the bollocks with a long feather ....

Actually, sorry, no. But I do wish I had been there (... not with the feather, mind).

It's just that I have available a pretty damn excellent quality bootleg of the second night - it does sound like it was a good gig. I can even get a copy to you if you're interested (upload, by mail, whatever ...) :)
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

User avatar
dgs
Posts: 4758
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 23:02
Location: sconnie botland

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby dgs » 07 Mar 2015, 22:00

Olafur Arnaulds plays the music of Broadchurch.

25th Feb 15, Glasgow ABC

Image

Grand piano, brass, string quartet and synths. Plus all seated gig which finished at 10.

Bliss and the signs of getting old.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 26593
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby the masked man » 07 Mar 2015, 23:24

Jimbo wrote:A dream came true tonight. Richard Thompson. Just him and a bassist and a drummer and that's all he needed to put on an amazing show. And I was sitting 20 feet from the stage. Lots and lots of electric guitar and 1952 Vincent Black Lightening on acoustic. Amazing!


I've seen him play sparser gigs than that. In fact, I've seen him four times, and three of those times he has been solo with just an acoustic guitar. The other time, he was accompanied only by Danny Thompson (no relation) on double bass. He can absolutely hold a crowd with his amazing songs and his personality. Apparently, he was very shy during his Fairport Convention days, and really had to learn how to work as a solo performer, but he managed to do this brilliantly.

I'd still love to see him play with a proper band, mind.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 19652
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jeemo » 08 Mar 2015, 00:13

Heaven 17 last night, played my local town hall. Good old fashioned venue that doesn't get used enough for gigs due to being so close to Glasgow. Although I did see Morrissey there on the You are the Quarry tour.

The sound was that great last night, I knew there would be backing tracks used. However they had two keyboard players and and at times four vocalists. The sound guy struggled as the vocals were too high in the mix, the keyboards too low and the backing tracks were muddy.

Given these issues the gig was pretty good. the set list was half H17 and half Human League which I didn't expect. First encore was a slowed down Party Fears Two. Which was done as a tribute to Billy McKenzie

Good not great.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13129
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jimbo » 12 Mar 2015, 14:50

Just back from what may be one of my best live show experiences ever, Jackson Browne at Orchard hall in Shibuya. Over three hours with three encores, the last part where the band transformed into the Allman Brothers Band jamming on Take It Easy, Doctor My Eyes and this other tune about a party I never heard before but it was a good one.
I love you.


User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13129
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jimbo » 06 Apr 2015, 15:43

A pig in a poke show and wow! The Waterboys rocked like motherfuckers. Like Tom Petty meets Fairport Convention, the musicianship - including bassist David fucking Hood - was top notch. You gotta see these guys if they play near you. I expected something lighter but this shit was heavy, tight and lyrical.
I love you.

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 17370
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Tactful Cactus » 06 Apr 2015, 20:27

Qube wrote:Viet Cong at Mercury Lounge:


Seeing Viet Cong in a few weeks, looking forward to it.
This weekend - saw Courtney Barnett playing with a 2-piece backup band. She was very good, did not disappoint.
Up next, Godspeed You Black Exclamation Point!

User avatar
Qube
Posts: 2555
Joined: 04 Dec 2007, 12:16
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Qube » 06 Apr 2015, 22:54

I'm sure Viet Cong will not disappoint!

I've been quite busy lately and managed to review a few things.
Kaki King - http://freewilliamsburg.com/live-review ... and-ethel/
A Winged Victory for the Sullen: http://freewilliamsburg.com/live-review ... son-rouge/
Max Richter: http://freewilliamsburg.com/live-review ... son-rouge/
Swervedriver: http://freewilliamsburg.com/live-review ... liamsburg/
Deerhoof: http://freewilliamsburg.com/live-review ... rlin-room/

Up next I've got Mountain Goats.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 41139
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Nationwide

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Still Baron » 11 Apr 2015, 01:15

Based on JSJ's general enthusiasm for Stevie Wonder shows of late, when I almost accidentally learned he was playing in Austin, we made a snap decision to buy tickets and go. It was the Songs In The Key of Life tour, Easter Saturday night. I don't really do big, expensive shows, but JSJ was right about McCartney, I had a good feeling about Stevie Wonder, and Minnie was into the idea. So I went online when tickets went on sale and snagged some $85 cheap seats at the local basketball arena, which holds probably around 15,000. We were half way up the upper deck near the side of the stage.

I had thought to myself, what a pity he won't be playing Innervisions (my preferred Stevie Wonder record) with some odd deep cuts and hits thrown in. I've always had an ambivalent relationship with Songs In The Key. I've always had it on cd, and who plays the second cd? The first cd is pretty hit or miss as it is. Anyway, I promised myself to listen to it more before the show, but then it kinda snuck up on us.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people in the crowd didn't know Songs In The Key from any other record anyone made 45 years ago. And it's kind of a weird record. So it was kind of a weird show. Anyway, he brought a huge band, with a locally sourced string section, and I figured he was gonna go all out, and I would go along with it. It was pretty fucking great! But playing a double record that is all over the place mostly in sequence to a crowd that mostly doesn't really know the record makes for a strange experience, which means that there were some real gaps. I mean, it's a long way from "I Wish" to "As!" But he pulled the damn thing off, almost effortlessly. At times, I thought that the big band with all the percussion and keyboards playing in the arena gave the music a bit of a lumbering feel, but I think it was worth it for him to pull the whole enchilada off as best he could. And nobody was in the way when they were GOING OFF on the big hits.

It's always hard to tell how spontaneous this stuff is, but he went off the script a few times and went into an Ernest Tubb-->Charlie Rich-->Al Green medley, which was really fun. End the end, he played for a solid 3.5 hours, and I think he would have done a little more had the crowd been more insane. In the end, it is manifestly clear that the motherfucker is full of music, it just pours out of him. You know this from things you read about him and listening to his records, but it really comes through when he nails all these super funky numbers and then switches to ballads, and goes from harmonica to organ to piano to that weird fingerboard instrument. And he could have easily gone on for another three hours with all killer, no filler jams. This tour is pretty much over, but I'll go back if he comes back to our neighborhood.

At the time of the show, I had more mixed feelings about it---the bogus crowd, the weird pacing, the imperfect sound. But you know what? Ever since then, I've been consumed by the need to listen to these records, and I've gone from real ambivalence about Songs In The Key of Life to embracing it as much as almost any other record I love. I'll bump THAT thread when I get the chance.
Jimbo wrote:But there is hope for pessimism.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 14828
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby pcqgod » 11 Apr 2015, 01:35

Dick Dale show was lots of fun. Next: Michael Schenker tomorrow night.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Short Bald Bloke
Posts: 915
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 22:48
Location: Wireless at last

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Short Bald Bloke » 11 Apr 2015, 08:36

Jimbo wrote:A pig in a poke show and wow! The Waterboys rocked like motherfuckers. Like Tom Petty meets Fairport Convention, the musicianship - including bassist David fucking Hood - was top notch. You gotta see these guys if they play near you. I expected something lighter but this shit was heavy, tight and lyrical.


Glad to hear this - I am going to see The Waterboys in November.

My tickets to see The War on Drugs in a festival warmup show in early July arrived yesterday also.
NancyTheInfecter wrote:I'd vote Sheffield as well as it is a much sexier place.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 2888
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Fonz » 11 Apr 2015, 08:59

Devin Townsend, Ziltoid warm-up gig, in Boscombe, tonite!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13129
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jimbo » 25 Apr 2015, 15:56

Paul McCartney! *girl scream*

Tokyo Dome. Just slogging in line to get in the building nearly made me turn around and go home. Glad I didn't because Paul was almighty, and for three hours. At first his voice was weak and I joked to my wife the fake Beatles in Roppongi sounded better. But I'll be damed if his voice didn't get better better better better Ahhhhh! And did he look good. That was not a 72 year old man up there. I got up to pee twice and my wife once and Paul didn't even stop for water. No complaints about his song selection. Not too many newer ones and funnily Japanese fans around us were singing along to songs I never heard before. My one beef is with his band. Maybe it is Paul's instructions but they played to a script and played Beatles solos as they were played on the records. If they were great guitarists, which they probably were, their own sound should have been expressed rather than note for note George and John licks. I had a brief fantasy that Keith Richards went out on the road with Paul. Nonetheless, it was a great show. The time passed quickly and I am glad I went. Grade: A
I love you.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 14828
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby pcqgod » 26 Apr 2015, 01:07

Jimbo wrote:Paul McCartney! *girl scream*

Tokyo Dome. Just slogging in line to get in the building nearly made me turn around and go home. Glad I didn't because Paul was almighty, and for three hours. At first his voice was weak and I joked to my wife the fake Beatles in Roppongi sounded better. But I'll be damed if his voice didn't get better better better better Ahhhhh! And did he look good. That was not a 72 year old man up there. I got up to pee twice and my wife once and Paul didn't even stop for water. No complaints about his song selection. Not too many newer ones and funnily Japanese fans around us were singing along to songs I never heard before. My one beef is with his band. Maybe it is Paul's instructions but they played to a script and played Beatles solos as they were played on the records. If they were great guitarists, which they probably were, their own sound should have been expressed rather than note for note George and John licks. I had a brief fantasy that Keith Richards went out on the road with Paul. Nonetheless, it was a great show. The time passed quickly and I am glad I went. Grade: A


The two occasions I've seen him (in 2011 and 2014) it seemed he warmed up a bit vocally with less-challenging numbers early on, and then worked up to the more vocally challenging numbers like "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Hey Jude," etc. When I've seen him in t.v. appearances in recent years he tries to sing those songs without any warm-up and comes off sounding really strained.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 14828
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby pcqgod » 26 Apr 2015, 01:08

Rescheduled ZZ Top and Jeff Beck show coming up in a week. I'm excited.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
hookfinger
Posts: 6315
Joined: 23 Jan 2008, 18:43
Location: the observation post
Contact:

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby hookfinger » 26 Apr 2015, 02:07

I kinda wanted to see the Feelies tonight but none of my Philly acquaintances answers my query as to whether they were going. I couldn't see standing in a corner by myself seeing a band I have seen dozens of times. If it weren't a couple hour drive it may have been different. Or if I have remembered more than 5 minutes ago.
Last edited by hookfinger on 26 Apr 2015, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13129
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jimbo » 26 Apr 2015, 04:55

pcqgod wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Paul McCartney! *girl scream*

Tokyo Dome. Just slogging in line to get in the building nearly made me turn around and go home. Glad I didn't because Paul was almighty, and for three hours. At first his voice was weak and I joked to my wife the fake Beatles in Roppongi sounded better. But I'll be damed if his voice didn't get better better better better Ahhhhh! And did he look good. That was not a 72 year old man up there. I got up to pee twice and my wife once and Paul didn't even stop for water. No complaints about his song selection. Not too many newer ones and funnily Japanese fans around us were singing along to songs I never heard before. My one beef is with his band. Maybe it is Paul's instructions but they played to a script and played Beatles solos as they were played on the records. If they were great guitarists, which they probably were, their own sound should have been expressed rather than note for note George and John licks. I had a brief fantasy that Keith Richards went out on the road with Paul. Nonetheless, it was a great show. The time passed quickly and I am glad I went. Grade: A


The two occasions I've seen him (in 2011 and 2014) it seemed he warmed up a bit vocally with less-challenging numbers early on, and then worked up to the more vocally challenging numbers like "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Hey Jude," etc. When I've seen him in t.v. appearances in recent years he tries to sing those songs without any warm-up and comes off sounding really strained.


I cringed at his first off key note of Baby I'm Amazed and looked over at my wife who was cringing too. But then he pulled it off by gum! It must be the vegan diet. As a singer of sorts myself I always found hard to hit notes in many Beatle songs but Paul just about hit them all. And he sounded like Paul throughout. His energy was astounding. It made my wife mad that I am in such bad shape at 63 and there was this 72 year old guy with no spare tire nor love handles, hair and with whom I'm sure she'd like to sleep with a lot more than I. :oops: It was like another goddamn Beatle first. They beat aging. Seen Ringo lately doing jumping jacks on stage?

Oh, a bit about the pre-concert music. Sucked. It may have been the Jive Bunny guy himself up there but while we were getting seated there was a lone DJ on the stage blending Beatle/Paul/cover songs into a gooey and boring melange. In the last few minutes after he left the stage the music went to all reggae Beatle cover songs and was a slight improvement.
I love you.


Return to “Yakety Yak”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hightea and 1 guest