Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
secondhandsocks

Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby secondhandsocks » 23 Aug 2007, 09:56

Can't find the old thread, so here's a new one.

Marlay Park, Dublin.

Foo Fighters / Nine Inch Nails

We missed the Silversun Pickups but caught most of NIN's set and all of the Foo Fighters.
Not really my gig of choice but her indoors blagged us some freebies so why not.

Nice night for an open-air gig and pretty good vibes all round.
There was a very high content of women in the audience, like the reverse of a Teenage Fanclub gig.
Are the Foo Fighters a girl's band?

I was interested to see what NIN would be like, and they performed pretty well. It was a sunny evening so the lights/visuals didn't look as scary and industrial as perhaps they were supposed to.
Lots of leaping around, smashing the system, raging against machines etc etc.
They ended by smashing up a cheap telecaster copy, oooh dangerous.

After a long wait drinking crap lager and being bombarded with adverts for a Stereophonics gig the Foo Fighters came on.
I had a long mispent youth watching metal bands, the formula seems the same, bit of a sing-along, swearing, recalling irish roots (essential if you are an american musician visiting Ireland), more swearing, solos, feet on the monitor, wander to the extreme left and right of the stage (people love that), heart-felt story about children (ahh), more solos, more swearing, thankyewdublingoodnight.

Not bad really, bit daft though.
The Arcade Fire cover was unexpected (and pretty well executed) and the appearance of Pat Smear was a bonus.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 23 Aug 2007, 10:10

I was thinking last night, you got bloody good weather for it.
Back to normal this morning. :x

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 23 Aug 2007, 10:18

Tactful Cactus wrote:I was thinking last night, you got bloody good weather for it.
Back to normal this morning. :x

Dave Grohl wrote:So, I hear it's been fucking raining for three fucking months man?
Take a look at this shit! *points to raindrop-free sky*
Yeah, muthafuckers!
Anyway my mum's Irish.
Let's fucking rock, yeaaah!

Dave Grohl wrote:Tomorrow will have a misty start with light winds and a possibility of showers in the afternoon

Dave Grohl wrote:Muthafuckers

Love Vigilante

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Love Vigilante » 24 Aug 2007, 11:52

Happiness Stan wrote:Can't find the old thread, so here's a new one.

Marlay Park, Dublin.

Foo Fighters / Nine Inch Nails

We missed the Silversun Pickups but caught most of NIN's set and all of the Foo Fighters.
Not really my gig of choice but her indoors blagged us some freebies so why not.

Nice night for an open-air gig and pretty good vibes all round.
There was a very high content of women in the audience, like the reverse of a Teenage Fanclub gig.
Are the Foo Fighters a girl's band?

I was interested to see what NIN would be like, and they performed pretty well. It was a sunny evening so the lights/visuals didn't look as scary and industrial as perhaps they were supposed to.
Lots of leaping around, smashing the system, raging against machines etc etc.
They ended by smashing up a cheap telecaster copy, oooh dangerous.

After a long wait drinking crap lager and being bombarded with adverts for a Stereophonics gig the Foo Fighters came on.
I had a long mispent youth watching metal bands, the formula seems the same, bit of a sing-along, swearing, recalling irish roots (essential if you are an american musician visiting Ireland), more swearing, solos, feet on the monitor, wander to the extreme left and right of the stage (people love that), heart-felt story about children (ahh), more solos, more swearing, thankyewdublingoodnight.

Not bad really, bit daft though.
The Arcade Fire cover was unexpected (and pretty well executed) and the appearance of Pat Smear was a bonus.

I was at the Edinburgh version of this show on Tuesday. Wasn't planning on going when it was first announced, but my mate picked up a ticket and offered me it, so I took it. It was a nice bonus that NIN were added as support after this as I'm more of a fan of them than the Foos.

Also missed the Silversun Pickups as we were still in the pub, but got there in time for NIN. Pretty odd set, really - when you're playing to thousands of somebody else's fans, you'd think you'd turn out a greatest hits set, so to speak, but the Nails used their hour to play a wheen of new stuff, some lesser known old stuff and a sprinkling of "classics", while steering clear of likely crowd-pleasers such as Closer, Head Like A Hole, etc. I thought they turned in a fine performance, but the combination of some unfamiliar material (haven't picked up the new one yet) and being a hundred yards away meant it wasn't as enjoyable as previous gigs.

The Foos, of course, continue to not do anything terribly clever, but are good at what they do. That is, solid, straight-ahead rock songs delivered live with gusto. Only one new song, despite, I believe, having another album on the way - the rest was largely a run down of the hits, plus the aforementioned Arcade Fire cover. They seemed well enough suited to the small stadium environment.

Other recent adventures have included James, Kanye West and Interpol. Who were all very good.

Next up: Erasure. :D
BCB UEFA Cup Fantasy Football Champion 2006/07

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 24 Aug 2007, 12:45

Love Vigilante wrote:Next up: Erasure. :D

Oh god, I remember seeing them at their "peak".
Andy Bell, in full Carmen Miranda frock, singing in Spanish, was that all some strange dream?

Clay Davis

Postby Clay Davis » 24 Aug 2007, 14:14

I saw Sonic Youth doing Daydream Nation on Tuesday night. It was excellent, everything I could have hoped for. After DN finished they played a 5 song encore which was entirely made up of songs from Rather Ripped, they all sounded good. Mark Ibold was brought on stage to play the encore with them.

We were standing next to two members of Mogwai all night, I was going to exclaim my love for their band but the bastards skipped me in the queue for the bar.

Next up, Connect Festival next weekend.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 24 Aug 2007, 14:44

I just called to the Blue Note club and I reserved 2 tickets for Bobby Hutcherson on Sunday September 2.

(I think this will be my first live show since I went to Ponderosa Stomp at House of Blues in New Orleans on May 2 !! :oops: )

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 24 Aug 2007, 14:50

I'm probably going to be picking up tickets for Nellie Mckay and the Meat Puppets this afternoon. May also toss in the HooDoo Gurus as well.... we'll see if I can talk anyone into going.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 02 Sep 2007, 14:10

I just reserved 2 tickets for Tomoki Takahashi plays "Africa/Brass" at Shinjuku Pit Inn ( it's a real jazz venue! ;) ) for September 30.

John Coltrane’s "Africa/Brass" was recorded in 1961. Since then, various musicians including Eric Dolphy and McCoy Tyner arranged the masterpiece. It was the first time for any of Coltrane’s pieces was arranged for orchestra. The result was an overwhelming music full of primitive and dynamic sounds, totally different from conventional big band sounds. Now Tomoki Takahashi will challenge the masterpiece with his long-term love for Coltrane through his close friendship with Elvin Jones. On the night, the orchestra will have additional two trumpets, two trombones, three horns and a tuba in the brass section, which will be 14 musicians in total.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 07 Sep 2007, 15:09

Jesus & Mary Chain tonight. Woo and indeed hoo. Let's hope they can play a bit better than when I last saw them, in the '80s.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 07 Sep 2007, 15:14

Eric Soundtracks wrote:Jesus & Mary Chain tonight. Woo and indeed hoo. Let's hope they can play a bit better than when I last saw them, in the '80s.

:lol: why oh why do I find this so funny?

('50s: 'Rock 'n' Roll is a passing fad. I'll give it two years.'
'07: 'Let's hope they can play a bit better than when I last saw them, in the '80s.')

no one

Postby no one » 07 Sep 2007, 15:17

damn....i misread this as: "Return of the Son of Now Giggling"

i wanted to see what was so funny :|

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 07 Sep 2007, 15:19

Maryann wrote:damn....i misread this as: "Return of the Son of Now Giggling"

i wanted to see what was so funny :|

Don't you find someone looking forward to JAMC funny then? :shock:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Sep 2007, 15:23

Bob Loblaw wrote:Mark Ibold was brought on stage to play the encore with them.

I used to be friendly with that guy before Pavement picked him up. He was a waiter at a cafe I ate at and we would go to all the same shows. Haven't thought of him in a while; nice to know he's still on the scene.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

no one

Postby no one » 07 Sep 2007, 15:25

Sea Of Tunes wrote:Don't you find someone looking forward to JAMC funny then? :shock:

not at all, and in fact, i've been wanting to listen to "Honey's Dead" a lot lately and i'm also getting back into the Lemonheads, who have a new album out which sounds great to me

now i can laugh......at you: HA-ha!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Sep 2007, 15:45

Ray K. wrote:I'm probably going to be picking up tickets for Nellie Mckay and the Meat Puppets this afternoon. May also toss in the HooDoo Gurus as well.... we'll see if I can talk anyone into going.

Be interesting to see the HooDoo Gurus. I haven't seen them in probably in 20 years.

If you go, report back.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 07 Sep 2007, 20:25

Eric Soundtracks wrote:Jesus & Mary Chain tonight. Woo and indeed hoo. Let's hope they can play a bit better than when I last saw them, in the '80s.

I thought they were tremendous at Connect last week. Think: Pixies reunion. The band were ultra-tight and blammed the greatest hits with awesome force. Its a far cry from the origins of the Mary Chain and it may be seen as a cynical exercise by some - but I thought they were everything you could have hoped from them in 2007.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 10 Sep 2007, 09:36

Captain Nash wrote:

I thought they were tremendous at Connect last week. Think: Pixies reunion. The band were ultra-tight and blammed the greatest hits with awesome force. Its a far cry from the origins of the Mary Chain and it may be seen as a cynical exercise by some - but I thought they were everything you could have hoped from them in 2007.

They were quite good in the end, but somehow it all seemed a cynical exercise in exploiting mopey students, something I didn't notice when I was a mopey student in 1985.
Evan Dando as the support was far more interesting.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 10 Sep 2007, 15:03

Going to see David Sylvian on Wednesday.
"This tour is in part a means of putting earlier chapters of my working life behind me. Of embracing the work that was done and, with a sense of finality, cutting the ties that bind me to it as a body, an entity.

In the future if I return to this material it will likely be in the context of a new body of work with which it shares a connection. In this sense there'll be a greater clarity regarding the content of future performances (should there be any). But we are by no means focusing exclusively on the past as we shall be exploring more recently recorded compositions, in particular those from the 'Nine Horses' releases. 'The World Is Everything' will be an intimate show, in some ways an echo of the 'Slow Fire' performances of a decade ago only on this occasion I shall be supported by a trio of musicians, a line up which will include Steve Jansen on drums and samplers, and bassist Keith Lowe."

What should I expect? Has anyone else seen him on this tour?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Sep 2007, 15:08

I saw Richard Davies from The Moles on Staurday night.

He was awful. The band didn't know the material at all and it was just embarrassing. He had his wife or girlfriend playing bass and she had no business at all being on stage. Then he ranted about how much he hated being there playing on tour and *really* generated a lot of ill will from the crowd.

A fiasco.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “Yakety Yak”