Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Nov 2019, 16:35

Robyn Hitchcock last night in a very small venue, 200 of us tops I reckon. He was on glittering form as usual - I am only going to say exactly the same things that I have every time I have seen him if I describe it, but trust me, it was splendid. Emma Swift came on in the second half for some harmonies and they sound adorable together.

I had written a request list from which he played everything - two of the songs, I'm Only You and Glass Hotel I am pretty sure he was going to sing anyway as they are fairly standard, but I asked for Transparent Lovers which he had never played live before and so that was a massive buzz.

I do spend time after each show kicking myself that I didn't get switched on to him earlier in my life. His shows are always some of the highlights of my year and I could watch him for days with only piss breaks and never get bored.

Viva Robyn Fucking Hitchcock!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 01 Mar 2020, 13:45

Elvis Costello & The Imposters, with Ian Prowse supporting, last Friday night at The Olympia in Liverpool.

https://www.getintothis.co.uk/2020/02/e ... liverpool/

He struggled a little vocally on 'Turning The Town Red' and 'Shipbuilding' but he was on top form.

Like someone else mentioned here a few days ago, EC is the first artiste I've now seen in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's and 20's.

Prowse was just made up when we chatted to him after his support slot.
I hope people get along early to see him on this tour.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 01 Mar 2020, 13:47

Minnie the Minx wrote:Viva Robyn Fucking Hitchcock!

He's playing a venue at the bottom of my Mam's street in Gateshead in September.
Which is nice.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 02 Mar 2020, 11:50

Saw Big Thief last week at "Eventim Apollo" (will never get used to that name).
They are a great little band - nothing flashy, and quite ragged in places but great dynamic and already a broad catalogue to select from (they didn't play 2-3 of their more famous songs). I was already hugely attached to Lenker's singing, but I also became very enamoured by her guitar-playing - very instinctive and reminds me in places of Kurt Cobain's style. Only problem really was the venue - this kind of gig needed to be at the Union Chapel or somewhere more intimate (although they did sell out the venue so I guess they are too big for that at the moment).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Yakety Yak”