Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Kenji
Otaku

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Kenji » 18 May 2008, 10:33

I enjoyed their show a lot. I think it was the earliest time ever a show I went to ended: Start = PM 2:00, End = PM3:30!! There were about 60 or 70 people only in the small bar/restaurant/live house (Back In Town)

The best parts for me were:

"It Doesn't Matter" (Manassas)
"Turn! Turn! Turn!(To Everything There Is a Season) (The Byrds)
"Wheels" (The Flying Burrito Brothers)

and the encore "Eight Miles High" was AMAZING! Roger's Coltrane solo was on mandolin by Chris and it was great...

Herb's banjo playing was another high light for me too. Both of them looked very happy and enjoying it a lot.
They stayed later for photographs and signing but I didn't take any albums with me and I was shy so I left... :oops:

I can recommend their show if they'll play near you soon...

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 18 May 2008, 10:48

Kenji wrote:I enjoyed their show a lot. I think it was the earliest time ever a show I went to ended: Start = PM 2:00, End = PM3:30!! There were about 60 or 70 people only in the small bar/restaurant/live house (Back In Town)

and the encore "Eight Miles High" was AMAZING! Roger's Coltrane solo was on mandolin by Chris and it was great...

Herb's banjo playing was another high light for me too. Both of them looked very happy and enjoying it a lot.
They stayed later for photographs and signing but I didn't take any albums with me and I was shy so I left... :oops:

That sounds amazing Kenji!
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 18 May 2008, 10:56

Balboa wrote:
Kenji wrote:I enjoyed their show a lot. I think it was the earliest time ever a show I went to ended: Start = PM 2:00, End = PM3:30!! There were about 60 or 70 people only in the small bar/restaurant/live house (Back In Town)

That sounds amazing Kenji!

It was very special and I feel lucky I could be there today... :)

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 18 May 2008, 11:45

I can't believe I forgot the version of "You Ain't Going Nowhere" from "Sweetheart..." :oops:
Chris talked about Bob writing a song when he was resting after his motor cycle accident...and then Chris and Herb started to play it...

That was very nice ;)

JQW

Postby JQW » 18 May 2008, 13:10

I'm going to this in just under two weeks:

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 20 May 2008, 17:22

I saw the police at Amway Arena in Orlando last Friday - a class gig, I don't think I've ever seen a better arena show than that one. We got a pair of decent view $90 tickets on the day of the gig just to see how the yanks do the arena thing - the answer to that was far better than the Brits do it.

Sound was good and loud (no health and safety bollocks on that front), view pretty good - the arena was a basketball venue so no enormodome issues, the crowd rowdy and hungry - christ, do you Yanks ever stop eating ? (and why are your 'big dawg' hot dogs so puny ? I thought you lot were the most litigious bastards on earth, surely you could have sorted this out ? I hadn't eaten all day when I arrived a Big Dawg was what I needed) Anway, the gig - they came on unannouced and did a snippet of Bring on the night then straight into Message followed by Walking on the moon; by which time a significant portion of the people who should have been sat around us were still feeding their faces out back, you pay all that cash and you miss the hits, amazing.

I saw the Police a few times in my youth and live I always thought they sounded a bit weird and sometimes downright odd, the arrangements were never quite right to my ears, none of that this time round they sounded way better than I remembered, Summers played some superb guitar, Sting did ok for a twat (he murdered Roxanne as usual) but the star of the show was Copeland, the man is a dynamo - the percussion section he did in the middle of wrapped around your finger was a show stopper. All the hits were attended to - So Lonely trod seriously in heavy metal territory and they finished with a spritely Next To You. You would have loved it.

Elvis Costello was support - pretty good but sound was wonky and his new stuff is a bit dull and not arena compliant. Sting dueted on one song - My Aim Is True, I think - he loved himself. the end.
angering the feeble

This Was
Internet Search Engine

Postby This Was » 20 May 2008, 22:47

D J A N G O wrote:Just booked to see Stars of the Lid in the Holy Trinity Church in Leeds. Silky will have to let me kip at his. :D

I saw them in Bristol last night. I hadn't heard their music before so wasn't sure what to expect but they were louder and more "rock" (well, it's all relative) than I had imagined they might be, and I quite enjoyed them. The sound was patchy, unfortunately, but generally the mix of the string section and the guitars worked well.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 31 May 2008, 06:37

Soon I'll go to a bar to a "Ambient Dub/Psychedelic/Post Rock/Ethnic/Dance" * event (16:00-22:00) to see DJs (includes DJ saKAna from San Francisco) and bands (includes solo show by Tabata Mitsuru [Acid Mothers Temple etc]).

(* I'm not sure about what this means! :oops: )

Grollope
Barred from the Eisteddfod

Postby Grollope » 31 May 2008, 20:45

Tomorrow, I'm off to see this local gig....

The Liverpool Sound Concert

Paul McCartney and Kaiser Chiefs and The Zutons and Dave Grohl
June the 1st 2008 at
Anfield Football Stadium/Liverpool

This once-in-a-lifetime concert to celebrate Liverpool's unrivalled status as the World's Capital of pop, rock and contemporary music will be a global event.

It will be a multi-artist concert in front over 35,000 people at the world famous Anfield Football Stadium on Sunday 1 June. The concert will be headlined by Sir Paul McCartney and his band and will also feature, live on stage, global superstars of popular music, to be announced at a later date, performing to one of the best audiences in the world. Millions of viewers will also see this celebration of Liverpool on television and online as it will be broadcast live to the worldwide audience.

This will be the first and last global concert ever to be staged at Anfield, the home of Liverpool Football Club before they move to a new home. It is well documented that world famous artists and musicians cite the Liverpool music scene as an inspiration to them and their music, and now, that music has travelled around the world and will, in 2008 at The Liverpool Sound, come back home to be redefined in the place it was born.

Sir Paul McCartney commented: "I'm very excited about Liverpool being the European Capital of Culture in 2008. We have a fantastic series of events which are sure to get you excited too. I'm very proud of the city and I look forward to welcoming you all and showing you a good time. Its going to be a great year."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-C2Ar4gpi8

Jimbo wrote: my gay friend told me all one has to do is take half. Sounds sensible. Try it.

Copehead wrote: they are choosing to monitor butt hose

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 31 May 2008, 22:53

Grollope wrote:Tomorrow, I'm off to see this local gig....

June the 1st 2008 at

This once-in-a-lifetime concert to celebrate Liverpool's unrivalled status as the World's Capital of pop, rock and contemporary music will be a global event.

It will be a multi-artist concert in front over 35,000 people at the world famous Anfield Football Stadium on Sunday 1 June. The concert will be headlined by Sir Paul McCartney and his band and will also feature, live on stage, global superstars of popular music, to be announced at a later date, performing to one of the best audiences in the world. Millions of viewers will also see this celebration of Liverpool on television and online as it will be broadcast live to the worldwide audience.

This will be the first and last global concert ever to be staged at Anfield, the home of Liverpool Football Club before they move to a new home. It is well documented that world famous artists and musicians cite the Liverpool music scene as an inspiration to them and their music, and now, that music has travelled around the world and will, in 2008 at The Liverpool Sound, come back home to be redefined in the place it was born.

Sir Paul McCartney commented: "I'm very excited about Liverpool being the European Capital of Culture in 2008. We have a fantastic series of events which are sure to get you excited too. I'm very proud of the city and I look forward to welcoming you all and showing you a good time. Its going to be a great year."

Why? It sounds fucking shit. The reality will be much worse.Besides aren't you going to end up sharing a stadium with The Toffees? According to the council.

Grollope

Postby Grollope » 01 Jun 2008, 01:12

Jumper k wrote:
Grollope wrote:Tomorrow, I'm off to see this local gig....

June the 1st 2008 at

Why? It sounds fucking shit. The reality will be much worse.Besides aren't you going to end up sharing a stadium with The Toffees? According to the council.

Well, at least there's no 'Racket from the Crapped'.

Jimbo wrote: my gay friend told me all one has to do is take half. Sounds sensible. Try it.

Grollope

Postby Grollope » 01 Jun 2008, 13:25

I'm in the Lower Centenary

Django

Postby Django » 01 Jun 2008, 15:15

Sir Paul McCartney commented: "I'm very excited about Liverpool being the European Capital of Culture in 2008. We have a fantastic series of events which are sure to get you excited too. I'm very proud of the city and I look forward to welcoming you all and showing you a good time.

What, is he meeting people as they get off the coach now?

Django

Postby Django » 01 Jun 2008, 15:17

Ranking Rupert wrote:
D J A N G O wrote:Just booked to see Stars of the Lid in the Holy Trinity Church in Leeds. Silky will have to let me kip at his. :D

I saw them in Bristol last night. I hadn't heard their music before so wasn't sure what to expect but they were louder and more "rock" (well, it's all relative) than I had imagined they might be, and I quite enjoyed them. The sound was patchy, unfortunately, but generally the mix of the string section and the guitars worked well.

Did you have the projectionist? The way they projected stuff onto the walls and ceiling of the church in Leeds can only be described as really fucking trippy. Great gig, with no sound problems.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 02 Jun 2008, 02:47

Saw Sonny Rollins last Night. Effing amazing. He played for 2 and a half hours which for a 77 year old is pretty amazing. It was like warming up a valve amplifier. After about 45 minutes, with a hugely appreciative and diverse sell out crowd at the Sydney Opera House, things really started warming up. The band were probably buzzing off the appreciation. Sonny was a colossus. The crowd didn't want it to end. A gig I'll never forget.

I think he's off to japan now, so Kenji, don't miss it.
king of the divan

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 02 Jun 2008, 02:52

mentalist (slight return) wrote:I think he's off to japan now, so Kenji, don't miss it.

I saw his show when he was here about 5 years ago and also about 16 or 17 years ago - I don't have a ticket this time... :?

...yet! ;)

Django

Postby Django » 02 Jun 2008, 10:28

There was footage from McCartney's concert on the breakfast news this morning. Halfway through the footage one of our cats walked into the living room and threw up on the rug. Nuff said.

Django

Postby Django » 03 Jun 2008, 09:37

Just booked tickets for Juana Molina in Manchester in September. Hopefully this means there's a new album due.

JQW

Postby JQW » 03 Jun 2008, 09:53

The David Berkeley / Kim Richie gig I mentioned above was OK. Berkeley obviously has some talent, as did his backing musician who switched between banjo and muted trumpet. Kim Richie, on the other hand, was just too bland for my liking. This was probably the first major gig hosted at the venue, a small community hall.

Still it's a good idea to support this local promoter. There's several more things lined up for the future, using various other locations in town. We just lack anything really decent that can support live music. The only decent venue facilities wise is a working men's club, but they only put on third-rate tribute bands at the moment.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 05 Jun 2008, 10:21

Kelley Stoltz

Despite a paltry crowd and an opening act who was beyond dire, Kelley put on a great show. Most of the tunes were terrific (I went on the strength of knowing one!) and his ad-libbed song about Irish weather was one of the highlights. He was a great laugh. I just wish he got a better crowd. Its not often I'm embarrassed to be in such a small audience, most of which weren't all that fussed to be there. A shame.

Return to “Yakety Yak”