Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Geezee

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Geezee » 09 Nov 2017, 08:54

Jeemo wrote:I'm really chuffed for him. Album of the year by a mile and some great gigs. He seems to be fully engaged again with his talent and looking forwards.

Hadn't really noticed that album but it is a good one - he's lyrically on fire and some of the guitar steals are inspired (love the If Not For Youesque intro).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Nov 2017, 12:37

Queens Of The Stone Age at the O2 last night.....

I'll keep this short :
a) Josh Homme is the only current guitar hero worthy of the name - the guy is an absolute Titan.
b) QOTSA are the greatest rock band in existence - bar absolutely none. A stunning, relentless, unflinching and uncompromising show, from top to bottom. If you want to philosophise about your music - go elsewhere. This ain't the band for you. But if you want a visceral assault on your very core, get to see QOTSA as soon as you can. Leave your inhibitions at the door and prepare to be taken to a whole new world of euphoria and pure enjoyment.
c) The mosh pit was staggering - I only hope they all lived to tell their tales this morning!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 22 Nov 2017, 17:04

Saw them on Saturday night at Wembley - they were blinding.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 Nov 2017, 08:56

Diamond Dog wrote:Queens Of The Stone Age at the O2 last night.....

I'll keep this short :
a) Josh Homme is the only current guitar hero worthy of the name - the guy is an absolute Titan.
b) QOTSA are the greatest rock band in existence - bar absolutely none.

How can you say that when Dave Grohl and Foo Fighters are still touring? :x
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 23 Nov 2017, 09:57

:lol:

The gospel according to Q Magazine.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 26 Nov 2017, 11:48

Songhoy Blues last night in Dublin. Fuzztone Mali-beat. It was excellent.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Nov 2017, 14:18

Surprisingly good show. Melodic, warm, intricate compositions played and sung very well.
Question authority.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 29 Nov 2017, 18:02

Jimbo wrote:The Shins
Surprisingly good show. Melodic, warm, intricate compositions played and sung very well.

saw them this summer was pleasantly surprised by their show. Last time we saw them early 00's they were on the boring side live. Thouht this show was much more interesting and very well performed.

Been awhile so of course I've been to a few shows

Renaissance with a string orchestra. While this is not the 70's epic Renaissance band we were impressed with Anne's vocals, we saw her a few years ago and she didn't have the range. The band played a variety of new and old classic songs. The strings worked well with Renaissance espiecially on some of the old gems like Mother Russia and Carpet of the Sun. They also did Island, a song from the first album which was before Anne. She stated that when she auditioned for the band that was the song she learned and used in the audition.

Elbow- While we see that Elbow lacks respect on BCB, we don't understand it. I've been seeing Elbow since 2002 and they have always given their best on live performances. Guy Harvey is an amazing vocalist and front man. He had the whole audience get involved several times thruout the show including a sing-a-long which included humming and whistling. My Sad Captains is becoming a favorite Elbow song of mine.

Jimmy Herring and John Mclaughlin - was advertised as John McLaughlin's last tour of America. This show amazed me that the show was 4 hours. Jimmy and his band played about an hour, then Mclaughlin and his band played about 1 1/2, before finally both bands came on and played an amazing set together of all Mahavishnu Orchestra songs. McLaughlin still has the dexterity and clean sounding guitar even at 75.

Two nights of Tori Amos at the Beacon. If your not aware Tori is one of my favorite performers of all time, I've been to over 40 live shows. In typical Tori fashion the two shows couldn't be more different. The first night was a doggy downer full of low steam and sad or rare songs. Besides the opener and one song from her new album the set didn't flow like her normal sets. The second night was a puppy upper show, its almost like someone kicked Tori in the ass and told her to pep up. Fabulous versions of Beaty Queen/Horses, Doughnut Song, Pancake and nice cover of Famous Blue Raincoat.

King Crimson at the Beacon - While we saw King Crimson this summer it was great to see them again 3rd row center. The new incarnation of KC with them bringing back woodwind master Mel Collins and adding a drummer or two along with no Belew and a tribute singer. This meant that Fripp and the boys could go back and play the old 70's songs. This show was better than this summer as they certainly have been perfecting these old songs. Great to see Epitath, Cirkus and Lizard live. The new arrangements and modern songs are just amazing.

Strawbs - Another great show and thought the band was in fine form including the vocals of David Cousins. I've seen them a number of times in the past 15 years but this might have been one of the better ones. great versions of Down by the Seas, Autumn and Out in the Cold.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 30 Nov 2017, 12:31

Hightea wrote:
Jimbo wrote:The Shins

saw them this summer was pleasantly surprised by their show. Last time we saw them early 00's they were on the boring side live. Thouht this show was much more interesting and very well performed.

Funny, my wife and I also saw them about ten years ago and came away that time underwhelmed and like you we were surprised at how good a show they put on now.
Question authority.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Dec 2017, 08:13

Went to see Robert Plant at the Royal Albert Hall last night, with the illustrious and glorious Belle Lettre!

I've not seen Robert now for (I think) 7 years. I thought I'd better pop along and see the old bugger.... you never know these days when you may not get another chance.

Firstly, the sound was absolutely outstanding - the best I've heard from a rock band at the RAH (which is prone to terrible echo/reverb). It simply wasn't there last night and, especially for Planty, the sound was very distinct and clear.

Robert himself was in very fine voice - when he stuck to his range. Very clear and much more listenable than on some other occasions, where he's coated his vocals with so many treatments you can barely hear what's him and what's effect. And he looked really really well, which is lovely to report.

The band are really very good - I like the new drummer and they've gelled quickly. They're energetic and go to some nice places. There is one exception however - I'm afraid I can't be doing with Seth Lakeman and the violin.... on many occasions last night I found his contributions unnecessary, and out of context. I also think it leads the band into very much one (two, three or four) 'hoedowns" that I absolutely could do without.

The highlights for me were a really gorgeous "That's The Way" , a great "Rainbow" (from Lullably And The Ceaseless Roar) and a very elegant "What Is And What Should Never Be"..... some of the tracks off the last two albums didn't work, in my eyes, but the crowd seemed to love them so....

All in all I'm really glad I went. And I'm really happy that Robert himself looked and sounded so well. But, much like the "Carry Fire" album , I'm not sure he/they have anything really new to say - it's very much treading water in some places... as he himself jokingly said (when referring to the old blues maestros) "They just kept going round and round, playing the same old fucking songs... sound familiar?!".....

But overall, a very good gig.

And you don't want to hear the fiasco I had getting to London in the first place, trust me.... :)

PS - The guest appearance of Chrissie Hynde for "Bluebirds Over The Mountain" was really cool.

PPS - That the price of that was a rendition of The Pretenders "2000 Miles" with Robert singing along, clearly completely oblivious to the horrible song, was not.
Cocaine

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 09 Dec 2017, 09:47

His voice sounds really good, but as we agreed, he shouldn't have tried BIGLY.

Great write-up, I would add that tbere was an excellent version of Misty Mountain Hop. Good to see DD and a great evening!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 09 Dec 2017, 09:54

Belle Lettre wrote:His voice sounds really good, but as we agreed, he shouldn't have tried BIGLY.

I had to google the acronym to get the image of Donald Trump out of my head. :oops: :lol:

Thanks for the write-up, folks!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Dec 2017, 09:56

Belle Lettre wrote:His voice sounds really good, but as we agreed, he shouldn't have tried BIGLY.

Neige wrote:I had to google the acronym to get the image of Donald Trump out of my head. :oops: :lol:

See we agreed that acronym should never now be used but, hey, Belle just plain ignored that today!

Neige wrote:Thanks for the write-up, folks!

My pleasure Felix.
Cocaine

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 09 Dec 2017, 10:32

I did it on purpose :D
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 09 Dec 2017, 10:38

Illustrious.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 09 Dec 2017, 10:57

IQ at the Islington Assembly Hall tonight.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 09 Dec 2017, 11:04

Born to reign over us

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 Dec 2017, 13:52

The Unthanks with The Army Of Generals Paraorchestra, conducted by Charles Hazelwood last night at Chetham School Of Music in Manchester.

Folk music with an orchestra and occasional clogging.

Sublime.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 09 Dec 2017, 15:31

Tom Waits For No One wrote:The Unthanks with The Army Of Generals Paraorchestra, conducted by Charles Hazelwood last night at Chetham School Of Music in Manchester.

Folk music with an orchestra and occasional clogging.

Sublime.

Love The Unthanks.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 10 Dec 2017, 09:46

First time I’ve seen IQ. Decent concert. I enjoyed Peter Nicholls frontman self-deprecating humour. They definitely don’t take themselves too seriously.

Couple of the usual uberwankers sat close by taking photos and video on iPhones. One geezer must have got his phone out at least 5 times during every song. He also raised his hands and pointed to the Sky whenever they sang the title of a song. Cunt.

Return to “Yakety Yak”