Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby The Prof » 25 Apr 2019, 12:33

I was promised it would be a rocking night out. I didn't mean to fall asleep.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Apr 2019, 10:23

I've had a few really good gigs under my belt in the last few weeks
- Idles @ Electric Ballroom
Probably the hottest tickets in town, their Camden shows sold out in seconds, and a great venue to see them at. It's a pretty slick machine - they are tight, their choruses are catchy, very political, and they rock hard. They are at the peak of their powers right now it feels and I had a storming night fuelled by whiskey. Great band that I'd recommend anyone/everyone to see if you can.
- Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs @ Bullingdon
They also sold out their London show, but managed to get tickets to see them in Oxford. Their tour is also sold out, and it's another great, exciting band. MUCH rawer and scruffier than Idles, and really enjoyed everything about them - their Northern humour, their genuine amazement at getting such large crowds, and a heavy, driving sound.
- Test Pressing @ all-around-Hackney
Great little festival that I think started last year. Pretty eclectic mix of bands across a few venues within 10 minutes walk of each other. Three bands really stood out - Mike Krol who has a really good garage rock sound, Warmduscher, who have a Bad Seeds vibe about them and a mental following, and Bo Ningen, who I've seen before but as an opening act, and it was great to see them in their own right - and they were incredible. Again I'd recommend anyone to catch them - very charismatic, psychedelic guitar gods.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 May 2019, 10:10

The Prof wrote:If anybody fancies getting the live album by the Unthanks when it's released in the Autumn... yes that is me snoring at the back.

It was the lullaby medley that they sang that did the trick wasn't it?

Thought they were smashing last night in Liverpool.
Roll on Durham week after next.
Give a shit or be a shit.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 09 May 2019, 14:32

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
The Prof wrote:If anybody fancies getting the live album by the Unthanks when it's released in the Autumn... yes that is me snoring at the back.

It was the lullaby medley that they sang that did the trick wasn't it?

Goodness knows. There weren't any instruments - just vocals.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Jul 2019, 05:40

Went to my favorite small festival again Solid Sound Festival at MASS Moca

Great set from Courtney Barnett - Courtney continues to improve

Then a small set by Wilco before they did a bad idea and had Wilco Karaoke for 10 songs bringing up teen singers before ending it with Courtney Barnett

Day Two had the Minus 5 with Buck and Mills from REM. A mix of the monkees meets REM

The Minus 5

Great set from Tortoise

Caught Wand at a POP show in the doll room.

Then later on Nel's Cline Cup with his wife Yuka Honda.

Plus Some Cool exhibits

Christie Hynde self portrait

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 08 Jul 2019, 07:11

A few lately. Stray Cats in Birmingham, the set was fabulous, playing exemplary, getting into the venue trying in the extreme. Stand out for me was Blast Off! I'd not seen it live before, and an extended Fishnet Stockings. The new stuff off 40 was really enjoyable.The Damned in Bath, MGE in its (almost) entireity and a career bunch of highlights. I loved Nasty, Ignite, a curtailed Curtain Call and Antipope. King Khan and the Shrines in Bristol - an absolute riot.