Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Jeemo

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jeemo » 13 Nov 2018, 12:30

King Crimson last night. Bobby and the Boys tore the Concert Hall a new arse.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 15 Nov 2018, 00:01

Buddy Guy - Really fun show. He played some crazy, jagged lead guitar and did a fair amount of "trick" playing (with a towel, with drumsticks, behind his back, and with various parts of his body). He told someone in the front row to shut the fuck up because he was singing the wrong lyrics to "Hoochie Coochie Man"! :lol: Set included blues standards, often turning into medleys, and sometimes just pure jamming with nods to Cream and other rock generation followers.

Dwight Yoakam -- I didn't know much of his music aside from some big hits but was immediately comfortable with his set featuring rock n roll classics like "Little Queenie" and "Little Sister" plus a long Buck Owens medley. The guys and gals went crazy when he started shaking his leg.

Booker T. Jones -- He played several of the best known Booker T & the MG's singles (extended but still true to the original sound), switching between guitar and organ, and lending some strong vocals to versions of "Ain't No Sunshine," "Born Under a Bad Sign" and "Hey Joe" as a Hendrix tribute. His backup band included his son on lead guitar, and they were tight.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo 50th Anniversary -- This was pretty much the best that I could have hoped for from a Byrds reunion show, given that there were no Crosby or Clark songs performed. SotR was performed non-sequentially. Chris Hillman sounded especially good on his vocals. Roger still sounded like Roger and he had his 12 string for the classic pre-Sweetheart material they covered. The backup band, Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives, were fabulously superlative.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 30 Nov 2018, 18:41

Off to see Incite tonight. Arizona metal heads featuring Max Cavalera’s son on vocals. We don’t get many US bands passing through, so this should be a good night on the small dance floor at the Met Lounge.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 Dec 2018, 03:52

40 years ago we saw Hot Tuna do a 4+ hour show ( 2 hours acoustic then 2 hours electric set). So recreated it by catching an electric Hot Tuna set at the Beacon Theatre and then acoustic Hot Tuna a few nights later at Ridgefield Theatre in CT. Enjoyed the electric set more but both were great sets. Both Jack and Jorma still sound great and play off each other. The did a great version of Good Shepard both electric and acoustic.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Dec 2018, 13:16

I am playing in a gig at the Golden Lion in Royal College Street, Camden from about 4pm today if anyone is in the vicinity and bored.....

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 04 Feb 2019, 17:06

Eddi Reader at Club Quattro, Tokyo. Great to hear melodious and lovely music sung and played by kind people. At times she and her band reminded me of Tex-Mex Doug Sahm, especially with that wonderful accordionist. I was reminded, too, of a Judy Collins show I saw long ago where the music was so lovely - and I was so high - I could see musical notes streaming out from the piano. Really great show.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Feb 2019, 14:36

Anna Calvi at the Roundhouse
I saw her at the very start of the Hunter tour, and really enjoyed it, but seeing her again at the end of the tour was something else. Firstly, the venue really made a difference - the Roundhouse provided a far better experience both for her sound and for her increasingly spectacular visuals. But secondly, also Calvi herself seemed to have really relaxed, and seemed far more comfortable in her new stage persona. It's not really a surprise - the Hunter tour is a completely different Calvi from her previous tours, and presumably it would take some time before she gained the full confidence. Another big difference - she cut her setlist nearly in half (or at least it felt like that) - and she let the songs breath and move in different directions than before. A 10-minute Ghost Rider was vicious. The 10-minute Indies or Paradise even more so. Songs from the album were completely reinvented and moved in several different directions, and all the while held together by the Calvi's magnificent, tasteful guitarwork and singing. There were actually a few more fuck-ups in this gig than the earlier one - but the raggedness, and the sense that this could be going anywhere, made it all the more compelling. This really was an "I was there" gig. A thoroughly unique, perfectly timed experience. I've been to hundreds of gigs and seen some of the real greats, and this one easily slips into Top5. It's an incredible feeling to be on the other side of 40 and still be able to experience things like that. I'm only just recovering from pneumonia and a collapsed lung that has spoiled most of the year so far, but thank god i was able to make it to this one.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Feb 2019, 04:01

Yo La Tengo with Steve Wynn @ Bowery Ballroom 12/9/18 -eight day of Hanukkah
Great Last NIght of Hanukkah

Hiss Golden Messenger @ MHOW 12/18/18
Really enjoyed the set - always entertaining with guest players and good vibes.

Sharon Van Etten @ Bowery Ballroom 2/9/19
Sharon continues to grow, she mostly played her new album which will be a favorite of 2019.
Nice cover of Sinead O’Connor’s Black Boys on Mopeds

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Feb 2019, 16:28

A couple of weeks ago we went to see Robyn Hitchcock in Austin, the same place we saw him last year, and the next night drove to San Antonio to watch him at Tobin Hall. The second night, Emma Swift joined him for some of the set and it was, as usual, dazzling.
I still feel quite stupid that I ignored his charms for years, but am making up for it now. From the minute he starts to play till the minute he leaves, I can't keep my eyes and ears off him. I would fly to another State to watch him open a tin of beans, to be honest.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Feb 2019, 04:18

Great to see The Realistiscs reform for a show at Mercury Lounge on Friday.

Another great new album from Beirut.
After playing two larger venue shows earlier this week we caught Beirut front row thanks to a young couple who offered me room to lean on stage.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Apr 2019, 15:13

We saw Bob Mould in Austin on Wednesday night, playing with two fellas from Superchunk. Smallish venue, outdoor and packed. We were up front and even Baron shoved earphones in. A line of people along the front, who I can only think had not seen Bob in his various formats before, did not have ear protection and the roadie bent down to each one and told them they had to, and gave them all plugs. A good sign!
Baron has seen Bob Mould a couple of times in the past couple of decades so knew what to expect. I hadn't seen him since just before Husker Du split and didn't know what was coming. Well, noise was coming - glorious noise. He rampaged through a rapid set with no downtime, and was bubbly, happy and full of so much energy I found it hard to believe he wasn't getting younger instead of older. The sound was great, the rock and roll solid and for the penultimate song, just he played a quiet version of "I'm Never Talking to You Again", a poignant nod to Grant that caused a few sniffs.
Spectacular. I won't leave it another 32 years till I see him again.
The new album is ace too.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2019, 04:08

Procol Harum - Gary Brooker's voice sounds great. They have a few new songs but they mostly did old stuff.
by the way the bass player is Matt Pegg - son of Dave Pegg from Fairport and Tull!

Jon Anderson - Jon had an interesting band with him including a violinist and two brass guys with Reggae drummer and percussionist. Made for a nice mix of sound esp. with "All good people" with a Reggae tilt.

Deep Banana Blackout with Michael Hampton of Parliament Funkadelic
After a great set by Kung Fu - a jazz jam band mix with some interesting bass lines and sax grooves.

Deep Banana mix funk and jazz fusion and liked their interplay. Guest guitarist MIchael Hampton played on a few songs.

On a last minute wim we went to see Keren Ann and was glad we did. Hadn't seen Keren in ages and she has matured into a great singer/songwriter and had a great accompining string quartet. While she mostly sings in French she does a few in english. always liked this one
"Not going anywhere "

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2019, 04:08

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 22 Apr 2019, 17:12

Suede in Bristol last night. New album interspersed with the classics. Pretty freakin great. A near hometown gig for Mr Anderson as he apparently lives in my village now. For the past 2 years. I heard something I’m never likely to hear ever again. Brett in a how are you all section says ‘anyone here from Chilcompton?’ Mrs JKB went nuts. :D

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Apr 2019, 17:35

Jumper K wrote:Suede in Bristol last night. New album interspersed with the classics. Pretty freakin great. A near hometown gig for Mr Anderson as he apparently lives in my village now. For the past 2 years. I heard something I’m never likely to hear ever again. Brett in a how are you all section says ‘anyone here from Chilcompton?’ Mrs JKB went nuts. :D

:P

Dr Markus wrote: