Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Oct 2018, 16:20

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Nick?? Dougie?? wrote: Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

Have you made any headway down there, squeezing past the little lambs, frogs, dragonflies....

Here's something to get your teeth in to:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-144927

Oooooooh!

The rabbit hole was nice. Warm. Comfy. Musty.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 23 Oct 2018, 02:47

Pearl Jam Fenway Park
(9/2 and 9/4)

Typically I've relied on others for PJ tickets as the good seats are all low # fan club tickets(i'm a much higher number). However I won the fan club lottery and got 9th row center. The 2nd night we got on line for a beer and the guy in front of me offered me his other ticket which ended up 10 rows back from where we were the show before ( my club ticket wasn't even on the turf). They did Buffalo Tom's "Taillights Fade" with Bill Janovitz both nights. If you are watching the red sox playoff MLB has been using Can't deny me with PJ playing at Fenway. Not sure it will make the World Series?

Mike McCready

doing his Jimi

Bill Janovitz and Eddie

Sarah McLachlan - Capital Theatre, Port Chester, NY

Haven't seen Sarah Since Lilith Fair at Jones Beach in the 90's. Looked at the setlist and decided to go. Picked up a stub hub ticket cheap ticket 2 hours before the show as I work about 15 minutes from the venue. Sarah was solo alternating between Piano and Guitar. Telling stories about love and heart break as she described her songs. Good show

more to come

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 23 Oct 2018, 03:42

The Outlaw Festival @ SPAC, Saratoga Springs

Great day of music. Lukas Wilson played with his band Promise of the Real ( they also played with Neil Young)
Sturgill Simpson
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
Neil Young + Promise of the Real
Willie Nelson & Family
Though all bands had their style and thy all worked.
Neil and Nathaniel came out for Willie's encores but I was on my way to the long walk back to my car.

The next night after 2 1/2 ride home after the outlaw Festival and a day of Work we headed to NYC for the
Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman show of Sweetheart of the Rodeo album along with Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives
They started off with 10 songs and stories about early songs that were country style. Then played the whole album and then did a tribute to 3 song Tom Petty tribute ( Chris Hillman just completed an album that Petty ask to produce and play on).

Roger and Chris

Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 23 Oct 2018, 04:17

Neil Young + Promise of the Real - Capital theatre, Westchester, NY
I've been seeing Neil young for the last 5 decades but this was the first time I saw him 1st row at a small theatre. Neil worked from a 70 song setlist on a bullit Board. The band waits around for what song his is going to play. Made for an interesting setlist including Albuquerque, World on a String, Speakin' Out ( On piano) from Tonight's the Night and killer versions of Powderfinger and Rockin the Free World.

Rockin in the Free World
https://flic.kr/p/28LA4P1https://flic.kr/p/28LA4P1

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 31 Oct 2018, 14:07

Roddy Frame last night at The Sage, Gateshead*.

One man, one guitar, one tremendous set list.

*will let him off with the ‘Goodnight Newcastle’ at the end
Give a shit or be a shit.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 Nov 2018, 15:41

Latest shows:

Yo La Tengo
Cloven Hoof
Buddy Guy
TSOL

Next up: Booker T. Jones and possibly Dwight Yoakum.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Nov 2018, 14:46

We saw PiL last week - it's about 7 years since I last saw them and it was vaguely sad to see how much interest Lydon seems to have lost in the whole thing. He had a lyrics book that used throughout and for about half the show, vaguely looked up. Halfway through, he came to life a bit and managed a bit of the old menace. I was right up front and he kicked off the encore with Public Image which was quite something. The last time I saw them it was proper theatre, breathtaking and sinister. This was all very tame in comparison. I find it hard to believe John will want to go on the road again.

Saw a couple of Jon Langford shows after that, always enormous fun, and caught a local band that we loved so much that we're going to see them again in a couple of weeks - I don't think I have ever loved a support band so much I have been interested in going to see them again, so I'm well chuffed!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Nov 2018, 04:44

Three shows in three nights all quite different.
Another night of Florence on her High Hopes tour. Saw her warm up show a few months ago at a smaller venue but Florence and the band hove no problem playing their powerful sound at a big venue. Love Florence's energy and power.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Nov 2018, 04:56

Second day was the new formation of Soft Machine featuring most of the members of the Softs album plus the addition of Theo Travis. The band were full of laughs and great jams. Roy Babbington was incredible on Bass and John Etheridge is an incredible guitarists. As expected they played a bunch of songs from Softs and Bundles. However, they alo did Out Bloody-Rageous and Facelift from Third.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Nov 2018, 05:00

The third night tool me to the Kings Theatre in Brooklyn for J Spaceman and Spiritualized. Love how Spaceman brings a full range of musicians along with a choir, horn section and strings section. The middle section of the show was the whole new album which I like.

Love he ends the show with Oh Happy Days

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Nov 2018, 19:34

Last Friday went to the beautiful Cadogan Hall to see Roddy Frame doing his solo stint... 90 minutes of wonderful acoustic wizardry and fine between song banter from the ex Aztec Camera tunesmith... wonderful evening.

From our second row seats.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 08 Nov 2018, 19:54

Suede at Hammersmith Odeon a few weeks back. Blinding as always but it did get a bit Tom Jones at times. Brett's shirt open to the waist, drenched in sweat and running about the stage. Don't get me wrong, he puts on a great show but I did find myself thinking "he's in his mid 50"s...put it away!"

ELO at the 02.
The missus' choice. We went with another couple and I was telling him how the only other old member of ELo is the keyboard player Richard Tandy (think that was his name) who Lynne has said he would always stick with. Guess what, even he was gone. The least I expected was a great light show and for the spaceship to come down. Just some screens behind the band with a video of the spaceship. They played perfectly but there was no real energy to it - expected more, especially for £100 a ticket!

John Grant at Brixton Academy. The new album is still growing on me so I was a bit apprehensive but he was as good as always. Nice to see Budgie still behind the kit too.

Pixies at the Roundhouse. Good but didn't seem to have the same energy as when they've played Brixton Academy the last few times I've seen them.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Nov 2018, 21:37

Nuts wrote:
ELO at the 02.
The missus' choice. We went with another couple and I was telling him how the only other old member of ELo is the keyboard player Richard Tandy (think that was his name) who Lynne has said he would always stick with. Guess what, even he was gone. The least I expected was a great light show and for the spaceship to come down. Just some screens behind the band with a video of the spaceship. They played perfectly but there was no real energy to it - expected more, especially for £100 a ticket!

Saw them this summer I thought the band had energy and was entertaining. However, Lynne is like a stick and doesn't even turn his head he just walks up and to the mic and then a few steps back after he sings, no other movement or even looking at other band members.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 Nov 2018, 12:30

King Crimson last night. Bobby and the Boys tore the Concert Hall a new arse.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 15 Nov 2018, 00:01

Buddy Guy - Really fun show. He played some crazy, jagged lead guitar and did a fair amount of "trick" playing (with a towel, with drumsticks, behind his back, and with various parts of his body). He told someone in the front row to shut the fuck up because he was singing the wrong lyrics to "Hoochie Coochie Man"! :lol: Set included blues standards, often turning into medleys, and sometimes just pure jamming with nods to Cream and other rock generation followers.

Dwight Yoakam -- I didn't know much of his music aside from some big hits but was immediately comfortable with his set featuring rock n roll classics like "Little Queenie" and "Little Sister" plus a long Buck Owens medley. The guys and gals went crazy when he started shaking his leg.

Booker T. Jones -- He played several of the best known Booker T & the MG's singles (extended but still true to the original sound), switching between guitar and organ, and lending some strong vocals to versions of "Ain't No Sunshine," "Born Under a Bad Sign" and "Hey Joe" as a Hendrix tribute. His backup band included his son on lead guitar, and they were tight.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo 50th Anniversary -- This was pretty much the best that I could have hoped for from a Byrds reunion show, given that there were no Crosby or Clark songs performed. SotR was performed non-sequentially. Chris Hillman sounded especially good on his vocals. Roger still sounded like Roger and he had his 12 string for the classic pre-Sweetheart material they covered. The backup band, Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives, were fabulously superlative.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 30 Nov 2018, 18:41

Off to see Incite tonight. Arizona metal heads featuring Max Cavalera’s son on vocals. We don’t get many US bands passing through, so this should be a good night on the small dance floor at the Met Lounge.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 Dec 2018, 03:52

40 years ago we saw Hot Tuna do a 4+ hour show ( 2 hours acoustic then 2 hours electric set). So recreated it by catching an electric Hot Tuna set at the Beacon Theatre and then acoustic Hot Tuna a few nights later at Ridgefield Theatre in CT. Enjoyed the electric set more but both were great sets. Both Jack and Jorma still sound great and play off each other. The did a great version of Good Shepard both electric and acoustic.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 Dec 2018, 13:16

I am playing in a gig at the Golden Lion in Royal College Street, Camden from about 4pm today if anyone is in the vicinity and bored.....

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 04 Feb 2019, 17:06

Eddi Reader at Club Quattro, Tokyo. Great to hear melodious and lovely music sung and played by kind people. At times she and her band reminded me of Tex-Mex Doug Sahm, especially with that wonderful accordionist. I was reminded, too, of a Judy Collins show I saw long ago where the music was so lovely - and I was so high - I could see musical notes streaming out from the piano. Really great show.
Question authority.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Feb 2019, 14:36

Anna Calvi at the Roundhouse
I saw her at the very start of the Hunter tour, and really enjoyed it, but seeing her again at the end of the tour was something else. Firstly, the venue really made a difference - the Roundhouse provided a far better experience both for her sound and for her increasingly spectacular visuals. But secondly, also Calvi herself seemed to have really relaxed, and seemed far more comfortable in her new stage persona. It's not really a surprise - the Hunter tour is a completely different Calvi from her previous tours, and presumably it would take some time before she gained the full confidence. Another big difference - she cut her setlist nearly in half (or at least it felt like that) - and she let the songs breath and move in different directions than before. A 10-minute Ghost Rider was vicious. The 10-minute Indies or Paradise even more so. Songs from the album were completely reinvented and moved in several different directions, and all the while held together by the Calvi's magnificent, tasteful guitarwork and singing. There were actually a few more fuck-ups in this gig than the earlier one - but the raggedness, and the sense that this could be going anywhere, made it all the more compelling. This really was an "I was there" gig. A thoroughly unique, perfectly timed experience. I've been to hundreds of gigs and seen some of the real greats, and this one easily slips into Top5. It's an incredible feeling to be on the other side of 40 and still be able to experience things like that. I'm only just recovering from pneumonia and a collapsed lung that has spoiled most of the year so far, but thank god i was able to make it to this one.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Yakety Yak”