Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Jimbo

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jimbo » 10 Oct 2018, 14:53

Back from Asagiri Jam, the autumn version of Fuji Rock. I already said what I thought of Yo La Tengo but the second night's headliner was John Butler Trio. Butler is a guitar whiz and does Hendrix-style well, but when he tries to be more pop than rock he is just so-so.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

TG

Postby TG » 10 Oct 2018, 18:54

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:We went to see Killing Joke a couple of weeks ago at a smallish venue - around 800. I had never seen them before and didn't really know what to expect live. I was also worried that it would be rather top heavy with newer material, which I don't care for at all. I'm glad to report they were really on form - menacing and funky - and that I had my first go in an American mosh pit and lived to tell the tale. I only went down a couple of times and was lifted up by people who looked at least thirty years my junior. :lol:

On Friday, we saw Paul McCartney at ACL. He was the only thing we bought tickets for - I recognised only about four other names from whole weekend. I don't have much to say about his performance as such, which was enjoyable but still lacking in that something that totally does it for Baron. I am really glad I saw him, and it was really poignant to see him a little slowed, but he had a whale of a time and the band was tight.

Regular readers may remember that I don't really care much for The Beatles and that still holds true. By that, I mean that I have never been moved by them - I like their songs well enough and I can see great musicians for what they are and great songwriting for what it is and all that, but something has never "clicked" in me about them the way that so many other acts have. And it's odd, because I grew up listening to them as much as any other rampaging icons (Stones, Bowie, Who, Floyd) but they never settled into my brain. During the McCartney show I really enjoyed some of the Wings stuff and started reading about the making of Band on the Run, and just holding Baron's copy and looking at it all, and then played it and went head over heels nutso for it. I mean head over fucking heels. I immediately "got it". I was hearing not just the album, but seeing the studio, feeling the stories, listening to all the instruments on their own and feeling very transported back to an event as opposed to just listening to an album. This happens to me every so often from time to time, I'll get an album (usually something I have never heard in its entirety or something new) and I cant stop listening. (Hitchcock's" Eye", Moondog's "German Years" ) If you had told me that this would be the year I would understand Wings, I would have laughed at you. But fucking hell, what an album. I just love it. The piano on Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five sets me alight. Mental.

Anyway I think the husband is quite pleased. Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

Oh, that’s interesting Anna, you have so much to discover. ;)
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 10 Oct 2018, 19:03

:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 10 Oct 2018, 20:50

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:We went to see Killing Joke a couple of weeks ago at a smallish venue - around 800. I had never seen them before and didn't really know what to expect live. I was also worried that it would be rather top heavy with newer material, which I don't care for at all. I'm glad to report they were really on form - menacing and funky - and that I had my first go in an American mosh pit and lived to tell the tale. I only went down a couple of times and was lifted up by people who looked at least thirty years my junior. :lol:

On Friday, we saw Paul McCartney at ACL. He was the only thing we bought tickets for - I recognised only about four other names from whole weekend. I don't have much to say about his performance as such, which was enjoyable but still lacking in that something that totally does it for Baron. I am really glad I saw him, and it was really poignant to see him a little slowed, but he had a whale of a time and the band was tight.

Regular readers may remember that I don't really care much for The Beatles and that still holds true. By that, I mean that I have never been moved by them - I like their songs well enough and I can see great musicians for what they are and great songwriting for what it is and all that, but something has never "clicked" in me about them the way that so many other acts have. And it's odd, because I grew up listening to them as much as any other rampaging icons (Stones, Bowie, Who, Floyd) but they never settled into my brain. During the McCartney show I really enjoyed some of the Wings stuff and started reading about the making of Band on the Run, and just holding Baron's copy and looking at it all, and then played it and went head over heels nutso for it. I mean head over fucking heels. I immediately "got it". I was hearing not just the album, but seeing the studio, feeling the stories, listening to all the instruments on their own and feeling very transported back to an event as opposed to just listening to an album. This happens to me every so often from time to time, I'll get an album (usually something I have never heard in its entirety or something new) and I cant stop listening. (Hitchcock's" Eye", Moondog's "German Years" ) If you had told me that this would be the year I would understand Wings, I would have laughed at you. But fucking hell, what an album. I just love it. The piano on Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five sets me alight. Mental.

Anyway I think the husband is quite pleased. Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

You are dead to me.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 10 Oct 2018, 21:07

Jumper K wrote:

You are dead to me.

I can’t believe she’s revealed this whole Killing Joke thing. They’re an absolute disaster.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 19 Oct 2018, 04:35

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:

nice write up went last year and while I'm a big Beatles fan never cared for Paul solo much except the first two albums. However, enjoyed the whole show.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 19 Oct 2018, 11:04

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote: Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

Have you made any headway down there, squeezing past the little lambs, frogs, dragonflies....

Here's something to get your teeth in to:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-144927
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 19 Oct 2018, 16:20

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Nick?? Dougie?? wrote: Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

Have you made any headway down there, squeezing past the little lambs, frogs, dragonflies....

Here's something to get your teeth in to:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-144927

Oooooooh!

The rabbit hole was nice. Warm. Comfy. Musty.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 23 Oct 2018, 02:47

Pearl Jam Fenway Park
(9/2 and 9/4)

Typically I've relied on others for PJ tickets as the good seats are all low # fan club tickets(i'm a much higher number). However I won the fan club lottery and got 9th row center. The 2nd night we got on line for a beer and the guy in front of me offered me his other ticket which ended up 10 rows back from where we were the show before ( my club ticket wasn't even on the turf). They did Buffalo Tom's "Taillights Fade" with Bill Janovitz both nights. If you are watching the red sox playoff MLB has been using Can't deny me with PJ playing at Fenway. Not sure it will make the World Series?

Mike McCready

doing his Jimi

Bill Janovitz and Eddie

Sarah McLachlan - Capital Theatre, Port Chester, NY

Haven't seen Sarah Since Lilith Fair at Jones Beach in the 90's. Looked at the setlist and decided to go. Picked up a stub hub ticket cheap ticket 2 hours before the show as I work about 15 minutes from the venue. Sarah was solo alternating between Piano and Guitar. Telling stories about love and heart break as she described her songs. Good show

more to come

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 23 Oct 2018, 03:42

The Outlaw Festival @ SPAC, Saratoga Springs

Great day of music. Lukas Wilson played with his band Promise of the Real ( they also played with Neil Young)
Sturgill Simpson
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
Neil Young + Promise of the Real
Willie Nelson & Family
Though all bands had their style and thy all worked.
Neil and Nathaniel came out for Willie's encores but I was on my way to the long walk back to my car.

The next night after 2 1/2 ride home after the outlaw Festival and a day of Work we headed to NYC for the
Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman show of Sweetheart of the Rodeo album along with Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives
They started off with 10 songs and stories about early songs that were country style. Then played the whole album and then did a tribute to 3 song Tom Petty tribute ( Chris Hillman just completed an album that Petty ask to produce and play on).

Roger and Chris

Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 23 Oct 2018, 04:17

Neil Young + Promise of the Real - Capital theatre, Westchester, NY
I've been seeing Neil young for the last 5 decades but this was the first time I saw him 1st row at a small theatre. Neil worked from a 70 song setlist on a bullit Board. The band waits around for what song his is going to play. Made for an interesting setlist including Albuquerque, World on a String, Speakin' Out ( On piano) from Tonight's the Night and killer versions of Powderfinger and Rockin the Free World.

Rockin in the Free World
https://flic.kr/p/28LA4P1https://flic.kr/p/28LA4P1

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 31 Oct 2018, 14:07

Roddy Frame last night at The Sage, Gateshead*.

One man, one guitar, one tremendous set list.

*will let him off with the ‘Goodnight Newcastle’ at the end
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 Nov 2018, 15:41

Latest shows:

Yo La Tengo
Cloven Hoof
Buddy Guy
TSOL

Next up: Booker T. Jones and possibly Dwight Yoakum.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 03 Nov 2018, 14:46

We saw PiL last week - it's about 7 years since I last saw them and it was vaguely sad to see how much interest Lydon seems to have lost in the whole thing. He had a lyrics book that used throughout and for about half the show, vaguely looked up. Halfway through, he came to life a bit and managed a bit of the old menace. I was right up front and he kicked off the encore with Public Image which was quite something. The last time I saw them it was proper theatre, breathtaking and sinister. This was all very tame in comparison. I find it hard to believe John will want to go on the road again.

Saw a couple of Jon Langford shows after that, always enormous fun, and caught a local band that we loved so much that we're going to see them again in a couple of weeks - I don't think I have ever loved a support band so much I have been interested in going to see them again, so I'm well chuffed!

Dr Markus wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Nov 2018, 04:44

Three shows in three nights all quite different.
Another night of Florence on her High Hopes tour. Saw her warm up show a few months ago at a smaller venue but Florence and the band hove no problem playing their powerful sound at a big venue. Love Florence's energy and power.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Nov 2018, 04:56

Second day was the new formation of Soft Machine featuring most of the members of the Softs album plus the addition of Theo Travis. The band were full of laughs and great jams. Roy Babbington was incredible on Bass and John Etheridge is an incredible guitarists. As expected they played a bunch of songs from Softs and Bundles. However, they alo did Out Bloody-Rageous and Facelift from Third.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Nov 2018, 05:00

The third night tool me to the Kings Theatre in Brooklyn for J Spaceman and Spiritualized. Love how Spaceman brings a full range of musicians along with a choir, horn section and strings section. The middle section of the show was the whole new album which I like.

Love he ends the show with Oh Happy Days

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Nov 2018, 19:34

Last Friday went to the beautiful Cadogan Hall to see Roddy Frame doing his solo stint... 90 minutes of wonderful acoustic wizardry and fine between song banter from the ex Aztec Camera tunesmith... wonderful evening.

From our second row seats.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 08 Nov 2018, 19:54

Suede at Hammersmith Odeon a few weeks back. Blinding as always but it did get a bit Tom Jones at times. Brett's shirt open to the waist, drenched in sweat and running about the stage. Don't get me wrong, he puts on a great show but I did find myself thinking "he's in his mid 50"s...put it away!"

ELO at the 02.
The missus' choice. We went with another couple and I was telling him how the only other old member of ELo is the keyboard player Richard Tandy (think that was his name) who Lynne has said he would always stick with. Guess what, even he was gone. The least I expected was a great light show and for the spaceship to come down. Just some screens behind the band with a video of the spaceship. They played perfectly but there was no real energy to it - expected more, especially for £100 a ticket!

John Grant at Brixton Academy. The new album is still growing on me so I was a bit apprehensive but he was as good as always. Nice to see Budgie still behind the kit too.

Pixies at the Roundhouse. Good but didn't seem to have the same energy as when they've played Brixton Academy the last few times I've seen them.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Nov 2018, 21:37

Nuts wrote:
ELO at the 02.
The missus' choice. We went with another couple and I was telling him how the only other old member of ELo is the keyboard player Richard Tandy (think that was his name) who Lynne has said he would always stick with. Guess what, even he was gone. The least I expected was a great light show and for the spaceship to come down. Just some screens behind the band with a video of the spaceship. They played perfectly but there was no real energy to it - expected more, especially for £100 a ticket!

Saw them this summer I thought the band had energy and was entertaining. However, Lynne is like a stick and doesn't even turn his head he just walks up and to the mic and then a few steps back after he sings, no other movement or even looking at other band members.