Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Hightea

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Hightea » 28 Jun 2017, 22:28

Bent Fabric wrote:
Hightea wrote:Wilco Solid Sound Festival

Did the Shaggs play?

yes they did - I only caught a little of their set. Thought it would be good but they sounded out of tune, out sync and barely could sing. Maybe that is what they sounded back in the day too but I thought they were horrible. Note: there were alot of people enjoying the set but I wasn't one of them.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Jun 2017, 07:17

u2 at Metlife Stadium, NJ
always an experience. This was tied around the Joshua Tree and a 200 foot video screen. Cool visuals and Bono's vocals were excellent.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 02 Jul 2017, 16:33

Kamasi Washington, NCH Dublin. Awesome gig, moments where his playing was barely above a whisper, could have heard a pin drop, and what a band - two drummers, keys, bass, vocal, trombone, clarinet/flute

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 03 Jul 2017, 12:44

Kamasi and Ryley Walker are on my must see list.
Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Jul 2017, 16:50

I saw Roger Waters' 'Us and Them' show this weekend. Recommended for fans of the 70's version of the band. He and his band played nearly all of 'Dark Side of the Moon,' a couple tracks from 'Wish You Were Here', two from 'Animals,' several from the 'the Wall' and even did "One of These Days," with songs from his current album sprinkled in the set. As always, it was a visual treat. Even having seen photos from earlier shows on the tour, I was surprised at how much of the show was devoted to Trump-bashing. Almost too much, really, 'cause the unflattering images and dumb Trump quotes are amusing for a while but it goes on and on. Still it was heartening to see the positive reaction to the "resist" tee shirts worn the kids who sang "Another Brick in the Wall," deep in the heart of Texas. For that matter, Bruce Dickinson received a similar warm response with his less overtly political denunciation of divisive political rhetoric when Iron Maiden played in the same arena exactly one week before that.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Jul 2017, 23:48

Last Tuesday I saw Elvis Costello and the Impostors on their "'Imperial Bedroom and Other Chambers" tour. They played, I believe, every single track on the original album except for "Town Crier." "Tears Before Bedtime" had a drastically different, bluesy arrangement. A good 90% of the set was early Elvis/Attractions material, with songs from every album up to 'Punch the Clock.' He also played one song from 'King of America' which happened to be my favorite. The band included Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas, which was a real thrill for me since I hadn't seen them play with Elvis before. I got rained on quite a bit during the first part of the show, but I'm glad I stuck it out.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jul 2017, 09:29

Just back from Fuji Rock and there was a lot of dross, way too much thumpy techno for my taste.

The stand out band was the Marcus King Band, a combination of the Allman Brothers and Chicago. Deep rootsy singing and guitar chops loaded with climaxes, like he was cumming over me over and over - in my ears of course. Elvin Bishop joined in for a jam! King left Bishop in the dust. (Insert chess metaphor here.)

Honorable mentions go to Ron Sexsmith and to Western Caravan, a honky tonky, Commander Cody-style, virtuosic, thoroughly entertaining combo.

I skipped headliner Byork to see Thundercat. He is a great bassist and a soulful performer but my feet were so tired and well, he was too good for my mood. My wife and friend stayed for Byork and they said it was good I gave her a miss, that she was too unfriendly, way too artsy-fartsy for the thousands who'd come to see her.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 31 Jul 2017, 15:36

Dionne Warwick, outdoors at Lincoln Center. She can still sing, but she doesn't have a lot of physical stamina otherwise. She turned in a half hour set featuring a breathtaking run of Bacharach/David songs, followed by ten minutes' worth of "That's What Friends Are For," which rather spoiled the mood, being an utterly shit song.

Still, those 20 minutes were heaven.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Oct 2017, 08:20

And it was mighty!
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

Nick

Postby Nick » 10 Oct 2017, 08:45

September was a bit of a bumper month for gigs, we saw Ryan Adams, The Rails, The National and Nick Cave within the space of a couple of weeks, all very good.

On Sunday night we caught Rich Hall's Hoedown at the Garrick Theatre in Altrincham, great fun, and very mordantly funny.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 10 Oct 2017, 21:03

Been to a bunch of shows since last post
Roger Waters -great visuals, setlist and updating Pigs for Trump Classic!

Finally went and saw Paul McCartney- Paul was great although his vocals are showing his age. The band was excellent as they have all been with him since 00. Nice tribute to George playing Something.

Arcade Fire put on an amazing show full of energy. They designed the stage as a boxing match and announced the band like it was a boxing match.

Martin Barre - who played almost all Jethro Tull songs. Did a great job substituting guitar for flute.

The National - played a great powerful show at Forest Hills. playing most of the new album and some early jems. They also stated that Trump and the Ramones were from the Forest Hills area. Then as a joke they stated that Trump took one of the Ramone's girlfriends and broke into the KKK took my baby away.

Finally we saw Carl Palmer. Palmer played with two 20 year olds. Palmer did mostly ELP songs but without the keyboards(guitarist did those parts-didn't work) and no singer it just wasn't that interesting. Secondly, I've always thought Palmer is overrated as his drumming always is too much about power and not enough about touch. His drum solo was amazing but just not enough.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 12 Oct 2017, 12:18

Dweezil Zappa last night. fab gig and caught up with an old friend I haven't seen for 35 years
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Oct 2017, 08:34

Off to the O2 tonight to see the mighty Nile Rodgers/Chic (support being Chaka Khan - not so shabby).

https://www.theo2.co.uk/events/detail/b ... ile-rogers
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

Nick

Postby Nick » 27 Oct 2017, 12:00

I'm jealous of that! We've really enjoyed the Nile Rodgers programmes on BBC4 lately.

In other news, just bagged tickets this morning for both Mogwai and Josh Rouse in Manchester next year.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

NMB

Postby NMB » 27 Oct 2017, 14:11

Diamond Dog wrote:Off to the O2 tonight to see the mighty Nile Rodgers/Chic (support being Chaka Khan - not so shabby).

I'm at the O2 tomorrow night, Hall & Oates supported by Chris Isaak.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 27 Oct 2017, 14:25

NMB wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Off to the O2 tonight to see the mighty Nile Rodgers/Chic (support being Chaka Khan - not so shabby).
[/img]

Guest appearance by Dave Grohl?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

NMB

Postby NMB » 27 Oct 2017, 14:54

Geezee wrote:
NMB wrote:
[/img]

Guest appearance by Dave Grohl?

Hall Oates and Grohl, the mighty HOG.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 27 Oct 2017, 15:12

Hot Club of Cowtown in a church in Bristol. Gert proper Western Swing. Smokin’!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Oct 2017, 15:23

Jumper K wrote:Hot Club of Cowtown in a church in Bristol. Gert proper Western Swing. Smokin’!

Did they remember you from Gruene?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 27 Oct 2017, 17:02

A comedian called Samantha bee wrote:
Jumper K wrote:Hot Club of Cowtown in a church in Bristol. Gert proper Western Swing. Smokin’!

Did they remember you from Gruene?

And the Continental.