"If I Fell"

Do talk back
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: "If I Fell"

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2009, 15:30

Sir John Coan wrote:
Doctor Jimmy wrote:
Elb and Patricie NURINE wrote:Meeting Dylan didn't help them at all. Even if I were a fan of the rambling old sod, I'd say his influence on the Beatles was damaging.

Damaging in what way?
I think Rubber Soul for example owes a lot to Dylan.

It does. And it's an inferior album to A Hard Day's Night.

Help is spoiled by rubbish like 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away' - and that owes a lot to Dylan.

Once Lennon sought less to emulate BD, and more to take what he needed and what he could work with - i.e. by the time of Revolver - they were back on track again.

I think you're limiting Dylans influence to Beatles songs that sound Dylanesque as opposed to something like I Am The Walrus, which whilst musically being nothing like Dylan it still has his fingerprints on it (would Lennon have explored such surreal Carroll esque word play without Dylan?). I think Dylans influence helped to free the imaginations of The Beatles.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Mar 2009, 16:39

Goat Boy wrote:I think you're limiting Dylans influence to Beatles songs that sound Dylanesque as opposed to something like I Am The Walrus, which whilst musically being nothing like Dylan it still has his fingerprints on it (would Lennon have explored such surreal Carroll esque word play without Dylan?). I think Dylans influence helped to free the imaginations of The Beatles.

I'd answer (to the bolded question) that he already had been doing so and offer his two books as evidence.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Mar 2009, 16:42

Snarfyguy wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I think you're limiting Dylans influence to Beatles songs that sound Dylanesque as opposed to something like I Am The Walrus, which whilst musically being nothing like Dylan it still has his fingerprints on it (would Lennon have explored such surreal Carroll esque word play without Dylan?). I think Dylans influence helped to free the imaginations of The Beatles.

I'd answer (to the bolded question) that he already had been doing so and offer his two books as evidence.

The books were written in '64 and '65 when the Dylan influence was already in evidence.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 24 Mar 2009, 16:44

The entire notion of Dylan being a bad influence on them is completely stupid, as even the poster who suggested it knows, surely. Only the biggest simpleton would think it were true.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 24 Mar 2009, 17:05

Dylan damaging the Beatles is nonsense.

If Lennon could have made the transition between writing songs about girls to writing about Walruses without Dylan, I wonder how long it would have taken him. Where I think Lennon always had the potential to do that on his own, I believe Dylan's influence was something of a catalyst.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 24 Mar 2009, 17:08

I know I never graduated college, but couldn't the "surreal Carroll esque word play" be attributed to the influence of Lewis Carroll?

Not to say that some Dylan influence didn't sneak in, but really...Lennon was caught up in puns and such anyway.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 24 Mar 2009, 17:10

Muskrat wrote:I know I never graduated college, but couldn't the "surreal Carroll esque word play" be attributed to the influence of Lewis Carroll?

Quite. I don't see how that is Dylan's influence.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Mar 2009, 17:10

You know, I'm all for the notion of Dylan influencing Lennon (John admitted as much in the Playboy interview before his death), but I don't associate "I Am the Walrus" with Bob. I'm pretty sure John said that was Lewis Carrol imagery, like 'Jabberwocky" or something, right?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Mar 2009, 17:21

Goat Boy wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:
Doctor Jimmy wrote:
Damaging in what way?
I think Rubber Soul for example owes a lot to Dylan.

It does. And it's an inferior album to A Hard Day's Night.

Help is spoiled by rubbish like 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away' - and that owes a lot to Dylan.

Once Lennon sought less to emulate BD, and more to take what he needed and what he could work with - i.e. by the time of Revolver - they were back on track again.

I think you're limiting Dylans influence to Beatles songs that sound Dylanesque as opposed to something like I Am The Walrus, which whilst musically being nothing like Dylan it still has his fingerprints on it (would Lennon have explored such surreal Carroll esque word play without Dylan?). I think Dylans influence helped to free the imaginations of The Beatles.

Finally it did. The earlier attempts to do the sort of confessional, packed-with-words thing that he did sounded very gauche. It wasn't them, they didn't do it well, and it was characteristic of a low point that came with Beatles For Sale and Help! - their two weakest and most derivative albums.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Mar 2009, 18:15

"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" is a great song anyway, certainly one of their best from that year. The Dylan influence is there but it's hardly all encompassing. The arrangement isn't that Dylanesque, the lyric written in a fairly straightforward romantic idiom doesn't sound like a Dylan lyric and the whole bitter tone seems characteristically Lennonesque.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 24 Mar 2009, 19:23

Muskrat wrote:I know I never graduated college, but couldn't the "surreal Carroll esque word play" be attributed to the influence of Lewis Carroll?

Not to say that some Dylan influence didn't sneak in, but really...Lennon was caught up in puns and such anyway.

But, it had never occurred to him to bring the two interests of Lewis Carroll and pop music together until the mid-60s. I think Dylan had an influence not so much on the style, but more on the possibility and range of what Lennon could write about.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Mar 2009, 19:43

Clippernolan wrote:

But, it had never occurred to him to bring the two interests of Lewis Carroll and pop music together until the mid-60s. I think Dylan had an influence not so much on the style, but more on the possibility and range of what Lennon could write about.

Definitely. Although acid was the biggest influence of all.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 24 Mar 2009, 20:27

Dr Modernist wrote:
Clippernolan wrote:

Definitely. Although acid was the biggest influence of all.

Agreed.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 24 Mar 2009, 22:11

bhoywonder wrote:

Maybe Dylan's influence was to show that you could do stuff like that with pop songs, not just relegating them to school notebooks and vanity poetry books. Freeing Lennon's imagination with regards to pop songwriting, as Goat Boy said.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

chunky

Postby chunky » 24 Mar 2009, 22:14

If I Fell is flawed in structure and definately "sappy". But I do like it, partly for sentimental reasons like Footy, but also because it's one of those songs that sort out a good singer from a shower singer, like me. That one is really hard to pull off in the shower.
* sigh; you know what I mean. You have to make the notes and sell it just right.
I'm a country member.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 25 Mar 2009, 09:18

Quaco wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:

Maybe Dylan's influence was to show that you could do stuff like that with pop songs, not just relegating them to school notebooks and vanity poetry books. Freeing Lennon's imagination with regards to pop songwriting, as Goat Boy said.

Yes, I certainly see that. And not just Lennon. It was Geroge who was into him first, as I recall, and you can hear his influence in McCartney's character songs too. But yes, of course, his biggest influence was as you say, to free them from the perceived constraints of the form, as it were.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Mar 2009, 09:43

Quaco wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:

Thankyou.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Mar 2009, 15:00

bhoywonder wrote: and you can hear his influence in McCartney's character songs too.

Really? Now that's something I don't hear at all.
I don't think I've ever heard Paul express an opinion on Dylan one way or the other.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 25 Mar 2009, 15:39

Lance Matthew wrote:
bhoywonder wrote: and you can hear his influence in McCartney's character songs too.

Really? Now that's something I don't hear at all.
I don't think I've ever heard Paul express an opinion on Dylan one way or the other.

Very short, but --

There's also this
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 25 Mar 2009, 15:43

@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Return to “Yakety Yak”